Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

Trending

Peter Kay makes rare public appearance to launch new accessible boat for disabled people

The comic was the guest of honour at the unveiling of Anderton Centre’s new Wheelyboat

Published

on

ITV News

Peter Kay made a rare public appearance over the weekend to launch a new accessible boat in Chorley.

The comedian said he was ‘honoured’ to cut the ribbon for the wheelchair-accessible powerboat, which will allow disabled people to enjoy activities on the water the Anderton Centre in Chorley, on Saturday, April 23rd.

Kay, who recently made his on-stage return after a five year break, sang his praises for the Anderton centre, which he claims to have visited with his own children on several occasions in the past.

He said, as per the BBC: “It’s very lovely to be here today. I’m honoured to be asked to launch this fantastic Wheelyboat, which I hope gives a lot of people a lot of pleasure and happiness out on the water.

“The Anderton Centre is a fantastic place and I love coming here, and the people are really nice… When it’s a nice day and there’s a heatwave, you think you’re in the south of France.”

Andy Beadsley, director of the Wheelyboat Trust, said that the boat is ‘a lifeline for anyone with a disability’.

Read More: Peter Kay spotted having ‘the time of his life’ at Blackpool Pleasure Beach

He said that the vessel ‘removes the barriers and enables disabled people to participate alongside and on equal terms with their able-bodied counterparts’.

He added: “All too often people with disabilities are restricted in the activities they can take part in due to lack of accessible facilities and equipment, which is something we are striving to change.”

David Germain, chief executive at the Anderton Centre, added that North West England had the second-highest proportion of disabled people in the UK, with more than 521,000 disabled people in Greater Manchester alone.

He said: “We’ve long wanted to be able to accommodate those on our doorstep and further afield to take part and enjoy a range of waterborne activities, and for once participate on equal terms with their able-bodied counterparts.”

Peter Kay took a step back from both the stage and public life back in 2017, citing ‘unforeseen family circumstances’. 

However, the Bolton-born comic returned to the stage earlier this month to kick start his first tour in eleven years.

At the event in Chorley, Kay also confirmed that more shows are planned for London this Friday and for Liverpool in August, but any future TV appearance would remain a ‘surprise’.

Trending

Nearly 120,000 people sign pensioner’s petition for Tesco to bring back tills

‘Talking with human staff is important to me… Now that experience has been taken away’

Published

on

Tesco PLC / Flickr

A pensioner’s petition urging Tesco to bring back its tills and to stop ‘replacing people with machines’ has reached nearly 120,000 signatures.

Pat McCarthy, sixty-nine, launched the petition with her daughter after she found herself continuously struggling to use the self check-out tills at her local Tesco mega-store.

Noting that talking with human staff is important to her, Pat implored for Tesco’s Chief Executive Officer Ken Murphy to reinstate more staffed tills and check-outs.

Pat, a retired volunteer helping disabled people to apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) forms, wrote: “What used to be a great shopping experience has now become physically difficult, overwhelming, and a ‘nightmare’.

Tesco PLC / Flickr

“At my local Tesco mega-store, and probably all over the country, Tesco is bringing in new self-service and sort-it-out-yourself card only till machines. They make up 2/3 of the tills now.

“These new tills are not accessible for people who don’t have credit cards and can only use cash or those with little confidence to use these self-service card-only tills – myself included.

Read More: Morrisons is trialling an ‘unmanned’ cashless store with no staff

“People such as carers, older people, disabled people with mobility problems or lifting problems have to queue waiting for more than thirty minutes.

“I love chatting with the staff, albeit briefly, especially as l live on my own. Talking with human staff is important to me. Now that experience has been taken away.”

Tesco PLC / Flickr

Pat went on to point out that, as an older woman, she struggles with the heavy lifting these self-serve tills require, as do many disabled people.

She concluded: “I want Ken Murphy the Chief Executive Officer of Tesco’s to bring more staffed tills and check outs. I want him to commit to a People & Profit Policy not a Profits before People Policy.”

Pat’s petition has been met with a huge wave of support, with it having a massive 119,996 signatures at the time of writing.

A Tesco spokesperson has since addressed the petition, saying in a statement: “Our colleagues and the friendly service they provide are absolutely vital to our stores and will always be on hand to help our customers, whether they are checking out at one of our colleague-operated or self-service checkouts.”

To read Pat’s cause in full and to sign the petition yourself, click here.

Continue Reading

Trending

Angry man blocks McDonald’s drive-thru after refusing to wait for sausage and egg McMuffins

After being made to wait for fifteen minutes in the same Leyland restaurant one week prior, the hangry customer decided to take a stand…

Published

on

David Lally / Geograph & @onehungryasian / Instagram

A McDonald’s drive-thru was blocked for two hours after a furious customer refused to park and wait for his McMuffins.

Stuart Yates, fifty-five, drove to his local McDonald’s in Leyland, Lancashire, at around 9:30am yesterday morning for his Sunday breakfast fix. 

However, when he was asked by staff to park in one of the parking bays to wait for his order, Stuart refused, the Lancashire Post reports.

Speaking to the newspaper, Stuart insisted that he had been made to wait for over ‘fifteen minutes’ when he was last asked to park in one of the bays at the Churchill Way restaurant, resulting in him complaining to management. 

Google Maps

He said: “A week ago I got made to wait in the car park for over fifteen minutes. A lad spotted me and said ‘oh, it’s him again’, because last time I complained.

“They said go and wait in the car park, so I said ‘I’m not going anywhere until I get my food’.”

Stuart then refused to move from his position in the queue, resulting in the drive-thru being closed to other customers.

He claims he was then offered a cash refund by the restaurant – but he instead wanted the money put back on his credit card.

@jemmalikesfood / Instagram

Stuart said an employee even came out and ‘threw the money’ onto the roof of his car and threatened to call the police if he didn’t move on.

Undeterred by the staff member’s threats, however, Stuart reiterated his stance and informed workers that he would wait ‘all week’ if necessary.

He said: “I said I’m not moving, I’m well within my rights asking for a refund to be put back onto my card.

“They eventually gave me a refund and tried passing me a long letter they had typed out, but I refused to accept it.

David Lally / Geograph

“I hadn’t sworn, I hadn’t done anything threatening. I hadn’t broken any laws.”

Stuart went on to block traffic for another two hours, only leaving when the police arrived.

And, somewhat ironically, Stuart was forced to leave without his McMuffins – though he did instead order two Big Macs on UberEats when he got home.

McDonald’s is yet to comment on the drive-thru debacle. 

Continue Reading

Trending

Manchester City players seen celebrating Premier League title at ‘boozy’ party at the Ivy

Jack Grealish had already promised ‘three or four’ nights of celebrations…

Published

on

@branston93 / Instagram

Manchester City players were seen celebrating their Premier League victory in style at a ‘boozy’ bash at the Ivy late last night.

Jack Grealish was among the players celebrating their league win, with him sharing a photo of himself sipping a lager in the City dressing room immediately after the match, alongside the caption: “Ooffft the first of many”.

He was later pictured looking a little worse for wear in the Ivy in Spinningfields, where the rest of the squad and their partners celebrated the victory until the early hours. 

Manchester City’s kitman Brandon Ashton shared a series of photos from the celebrations, where he was seen posing with Grealish and Riyad Mahrez. 

Grealish had already hinted at his plans to celebrate in style in his post-match interview with pundit Roy Keane, who had warned him to ‘stay off the top shelf’ and to ‘stick with beer’. 

At this, the England player quipped back: “Not for the next three nights, no chance, maybe four!”

Read More: Manchester City announce open-top bus parade today to celebrate Premier League title

Grealish also invited Gary Neville and his daughter Sophie out to celebrate when prompted by former City star Micah Richards on air.

He joked: “What camera am I looking at? Hello Sophie, I hope you’re bringing your dad out tonight, and we’ll have a great night celebrating!”

In yesterday’s dramatic match against Aston Villa, Man City overcame a two-goal deficit to win 3-2 in the last twenty minutes, securing their fourth title as Premier League champions in five years.

The Blues have since confirmed that they will be parading through Manchester in a traditional open-top bus parade today, Monday May 23rd, at 6pm.

The club said in a statement: “Manchester City will celebrate retaining the Premier League title with an open-top bus parade through Manchester city centre on Monday 23rd May.”

Visit the Manchester City website for more information on tonight’s parade. 

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2022 Manchester's Finest Group