In some good news in the fight against coronavirus, a Second World War hero from Bolton has beaten the illness.
The 98-year-old great granddad has recovered from the virus after he tested positive last week – he initially went in to hospital with a water infection, the Bolton News reports.
Jack Bowden is set to celebrate his 99th birthday in May, and after being taken to hospital where he tested positive for COVID-19 he’s now returned to his nursing home, as his condition vastly improved.
Mark Bowden, Jack’s youngest son, told the Bolton News: “The doctor spoke to me and had concerns that he was getting confused. He was admitted to hospital and was treated for a suspected urine infection, they felt he improved a lot over the week.
“The doctors told me that they had tested him for COVID-19. On the Wednesday when my brother rang me to say that his test result was positive, I couldn’t believe it.
“I spoke to my father on the phone and he said: ‘I think I’ve actually got the real thing’. He was moved to an isolation ward on Thursday.
“By the Friday they rang me to say that they were discharging him, they said he had a healthy appetite and he was doing really well.
“I spoke to the him on Monday morning, and he was sat up in his chair, doing really well. The consultant even wants to use him as a case study.”
During World War II Jack, a former pharmacist, worked at the Royal Navy Medical School, producing vital supplies of Penicillin.
According to Jack’s granddaughter Nicola, he’s in good spirits, even complaining about having to stay in bed.
Jack’s daughter Joanne thinks that the water infection medication helped him recover, telling the Bolton News: “His medication has been shown to have anti-viral properties. I believe that’s why he recovered so quickly.
“For somebody of his age to go into hospital on the Monday and come out again the same week is remarkable. And now doctor’s have approached him to be a case study. So he was a trailblazer back in WWII and he’s clearly a trailblazer now.”
Well done Jack, keep on fighting!
Greater Manchester town officially named one of the happiest places to live in UK
A Greater Manchester town has been named among the 20 happiest places to live in the UK, alongside a couple of other North West spots.
Altrincham was placed in the top 20 of Britain’s happiest places to live in an annual survey, coming in at number 17 in Rightmove’s survey.
St Ives, a seaside town in Cornwall, took the number one spot, while Galashiels in Scotland came in a respectable second.
Other North West areas in the top 20 were Northwich (16) and Macclesfield (18).
Rightmove’s Happy at Home Index asked more than 21,000 people their thoughts on where they live.
Each area is ranked on factors like whether people feel there is a sense of belonging, local amenities, whether there is a community spirit and the proximity to green spaces.
According to Rightmove, these are Britain’s happiest places to live in 2022 (including the average house price and average asking monthly rental price):
1) St Ives, South West – £523,731, £1,152
2) Galashiels, Scotland – £153,546, £530
3) Woodbridge, East of England – £481,978, £1,196
4) Hexham, North East – £262,265, £810
5) Perth, Scotland – £179,410, £812
6) Harrogate, Yorkshire and the Humber – £381,124, £1,327
7) Anglesey, Wales – £324,048, £766
8) Bury St Edmunds, East of England – £334,160, £1,368
9) Stirling, Scotland – £197,075, £990
10) Cirencester, South West, £382,065 – £1,331
11) Richmond-upon-Thames, London – £1,153,347, £3,931
12) Falmouth, South West – £373,752, £1,289
13) Monmouth, Wales – £331,844, £1,104
14) Leamington Spa, West Midlands – £383,553, £1,274
15) Worcester, West Midlands – £286,250, £1,059
16) Northwich, North West – £246,995, £942
17) Altrincham, North West – £615,246, £2,297
18) Macclesfield, North West – £292,078, £1,146
19) Newbury, South East – £380,842, £1,364
20) Llandudno, Wales – £260,245, £760
Northern to start using new technology to catch train fare dodgers
‘This technology will be invaluable for our gate line and revenue protection colleagues’
Northern has announced that they will be bringing in some brand new technology to catch train fare dodgers.
Britain’s second largest train operator is planning to install the system within station barriers at ‘known hotspots’, the BBC reports.
The technology will automatically detect whether a ticket is valid, and alert rail staff for any additional checks, or if the customer has the right railcard.
According to Northern, around 180 fare dodgers were caught in a single day when they trialled the system at Manchester Victoria in November.
Northern’s Customer and Commercial Director Mark Powles said: “This technology will be invaluable for our gate line and revenue protection colleagues whose job it is to ensure ticket checks are carried out quickly and efficiently.
“Unfortunately, we know that a small minority of customers try to exploit the automated nature of barrier checks to travel on tickets they know they’re not eligible to use.”
Powles added that the kit was ‘very easy’ to install, saying it could be: “deployed to known hotspots across the whole network to help tackle this fraudulent activity”.
The Department for Transport confirmed last month that anyone travelling on a train without a ticket can be fined £100 from January 23rd, rising from £20.
Man, 33, charged following attempted kidnapping of schoolgirl
A 33-year-old has been arrested and charged
Police have charged a man, following the release of CCTV footage featuring a car used in three attempted kidnappings around Salford.
A man driving the vehicle attempted to force a 15-year-old girl into the car at a bus stop in Monton on Monday, November 21st.
Detectives also believe the same man tried to abduct another girl earlier that same day, as well as a third teenager five days previous.
Officers have confirmed that Sean Anthony Gillings (06/09/1989) of no fixed abode has been charged, following an appeal to the public.
This appeal resulted in the arrest of 33-year-old Gillings, who was then questioned and charged on Tuesday November 29th.
He also remains on bail for the other two attempt kidnaps, while further investigations are ongoing.
Gillings was remanded in custody yesterday, Wednesday November 30th, to appear at Manchester Crown Square Court on Wednesday January 4th 2023.
Police previously confirmed that a 33-year-old man was arrested by officers on Monday November 28th, on suspicion of three counts of attempted kidnap.
According to Greater Manchester Police, the victims have been left ‘extremely shaken up’.
Officers identified the vehicle in the footage as a black Vauxhall Astra with a silver cover on the driver’s side wing mirror.
Detective Inspector Chris Horsfield, of GMP’s Salford CID, previously said: “Although we have made this arrest, we are still very much looking to speak to anyone who may have information or dashcam footage, which could help us to establish the circumstances.
“We understand that the local community will be concerned but we are doing all we can to solve this investigation.
“I’d urge anyone who knows anything at all to please get in touch as soon as possible. In particular we are interested in the movements of a Black Vauxhall Astra 08 plate with a silver driver’s wing mirror cover; the passenger side is black.”
Police believe the incidents happened at the following times:
- Liverpool Street, Salford, between Fitzwarren Street and Albion Way on November 16th, between 7:45-8:20pm
- Mossfield Road and Ackworth Road, Swinton, on November 21st, between 8-9am
- Rocky Lane, Monton Green and Monton High Street on November 21st, between 6-7pm