Peter Kay fans are in for a treat, as the Bolton comedian is making a rare return to the spotlight in a special programme early next year.
You’ll want to get January 2nd in your diary, as the much-loved funnyman will be appearing on BBC Radio 2 for a one-off show.
Peter has rarely been seen in public since cancelling his tour back in 2017, with his last TV appearance coming back in April when he was on the BBC’s The Big Night In via a pre-recorded clip, in which he introduced a new version of his iconic Comic Relief track – Is This The Way to Amarillo.
The comedian was also forced to cancel his Dance For Life tour earlier this year, due to coronavirus, which would have seen him return to the spotlight for the first time since he suddenly cancelled his work commitments in 2017 because of ‘unforeseen family circumstances.’
For the new special Peter will be joining Cat Deeley from 10am, with the former SMTV Live star making her BBC Radio 2 debut as she fills in the slot left by Graham Norton’s departure.
Her show is one of a number which will fill in until February, when Claudia Winkleman will permanently replace Norton, with Nicki Chapman also stepping in to cover.
Cat, 44, told the Press Association: “I’m thrilled to be making my Radio 2 debut on Saturday January 2nd. This time of year always fills us with love, hope and optimism, even if it looks a little different this year.
“We may not gather in the same ways or in the same places, but we are always together in our hearts.”
She added: “Gather round the radio and tune in to hear me chatting to some fantastic guests and playing the best music.”
Paul O’Grady wins posthumous National TV Award six months after his passing
A well deserved win
Comedian Paul O’Grady has won a National Television Award after passing away six months ago.
The late star was given the posthumous award at the ceremony, held on September 5th, for his popular show For the Love of Dogs.
The beloved TV personality, who was famous for his alter-ego Lily Savage, won over Clarkson’s Farm, Sort Your Life Out and The Martin Lewis Money Show Live, in the factual entertainment category.
Battersea Dogs and Cats Home representatives accepted the award on O’Grady’s behalf.
They were accompanied by a rescue dog, who even gave its own hilarious tribute to the star as it began barking during the acceptance speech from Shaun Opperman, Veterinary Director at Battersea.
Mr Opperman said: “I would like to thank Paul, of course, and the ITV team… for shining a light on the care that we’re able to provide for the 100 or more dogs and cats that come to Battersea every week.
“I know that Paul cared deeply for each and every one of those animals. I think that something about their plight and their vulnerability really struck a chord with Paul. He often referred to Battersea as his second home.”
In a post on O’Grady’s Instagram page, a representative for the late star from Birkenhead wrote: “We wanted to take a moment to extend our heartfelt thanks to everyone who voted for ‘Paul O’Grady: For the Love of Dogs’ at the NTAs.
“Your support means the world to us, and it’s a true testament to the incredible work @paulogrady has done for dogs and all animals.
“We couldn’t have done it without your unwavering support. It’s a moment of celebration not only for us but for all those furry friends who benefit from Paul’s dedication and passion.
“So, here’s to @paulogrady and his tireless efforts in making the world a better place for our beloved animals. We raise a glass in his honor and look forward to continuing our mission to help those in need.
“Thank you once again for your votes and for being a part of our journey.”
Everyone’s favourite duo Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, aka Ant and Dec, won the best TV presenter accolade for the 22nd consecutive time.
The pair said they are the ‘luckiest two men on telly’ in their acceptance speech, with McPartlin adding that they will continue to present together for ‘as long as you want us to’.
Hit BBC series Happy Valley, written by Sally Wainwright, was among the other big winners on the night. The hit three-part series bagged the returning drama prize.
Star of the show, actress Sarah Lancashire, also won best drama performance for her portrayal of Sergeant Catherine Cawood, ahead of her co-star James Norton, as well as Queen Charlotte’s India Amarteifio, Vera’s Brenda Blethyn and Call The Midwife’s Judy Parfitt.
Speaking to the audience, Lancashire said she ‘adored every scene’ of Happy Valley and ‘will never forget it’.
Married At First Sight UK reveals start date for brand new series
This looks like a good one!
The new series of Married At First Sight is returning to TV screens this month.
Fans of the E4 reality show can have their fill of the popular dating show which is set to return to screens sooner rather than later, on September 18th.
Fourteen brides and grooms will head to the altar in the hope of meeting their perfect match.
The new group of singles agree to marry a partner chosen for them by a team of relationship experts, Charlene Douglas, Paul C Brunson and Mel Schilling.
Set to be the longest running series yet, there will be an added six shows for fans to indulge in all the drama for a bit longer.
And if that’s not enough, this year will see a star from Geordie Shore as well as the first transgender contestant taking part in the search for marital bliss.
From Geordie Shore to MAFS UK, Nathaniel Valentino, 36, an events marketing manager with a jet-set lifestyle, is always on the move.
Perhaps a difficult one for the experts to match, Nathaniel says: “I don’t trust anyone but myself, but I hope they’ve done a good job that’s all I can say.”
Ella Ding will make history for the show being its first transgender bride.
Ella, 29, who lives with her nan, says they make the dynamic duo everyone needs.
Hopeful in meeting ‘the one’, Ella said: “This experiment is so much more than just me getting married. I see this as a big deal for someone who has transitioned.”
After the ceremony and celebrations are over, true love is well and truly put to the test, as the newlyweds will embark on a luxurious honeymoon, before moving in with each other AND their fellow couples.
New Netflix docuseries about horrifying true story which inspired The Conjuring 3
It sounds truly terrifying!
A new docuseries is coming to Netflix covering the horrifying true events which inspired The Conjuring 3.
Spooky season is almost here and horror and true crime lovers are in for a fright, as a new docuseries is set to land on Netflix next month.
The Devil on Trial – which is based on the story of The Conjuring 3 movie, The Devil Made Me Do It – will delight fans of the Conjuring saga.
Directed by Christopher Holt, The Devil on Trial ‘explores the first — and only — time demonic possession has officially been used as a defence in a US murder trial’.
This must-see true crime tale includes ‘firsthand accounts of alleged devil possession and a shocking murder – forcing us to reflect on our fear of the unknown’.
Those of you who have been brave enough to see The Conjuring 3 will already have a good idea of what it’s about, but for those who haven’t seen it, here’s a synopsis of the story…
In 1981, Arne Cheyenne Johnson claimed he had been possessed by a demonic supernatural entity that caused him to murder his landlord Alan Bono during a party.
Johnson denied personal responsibility for the crime.
The unusual and, let’s face it, wild claim, was officially put before the court, with the case going to trial – which became known as the ‘Devil Made Me Do It’ case.
An expert ghost hunting team were enlisted as part of the defence to prove Johnson’s innocence.
Ed and Lorraine Warren visited the family prior to the murder while trying to rid 11-year-old David Glatzel of a demon.
While having a formal exorcism performed on David, according to those present, a demon fled the child’s body and took up residence within Johnson.
Just a few months later, Johnson killed his landlord with his defence lawyer arguing he was possessed by an evil being.
But the judge ruled that such a defence could never be proven and was therefore infeasible in a court of law. Johnson was subsequently convicted, though he served only five years of a 10 to 20-year sentence.
The chilling tale attracted widespread media attention and has been adapted for screen and books, including The Conjuring 3.
The Devil on Trial is set to land on Netflix on October 17th.