Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

TV & Film

Mental health charity calls out Piers Morgan over his comments about Meghan Markle

‘We were disappointed and concerned’

Published

on

Mental health charity Mind ‘in conversations’ with ITV due to Piers Morgan’s comments over Meghan Markle.

Speaking on the comments Meghan made in her interview with Oprah that aired on ITV last night, Piers said: “Who did you go to? What did they say to you? I’m sorry, I don’t believe a word she says, Meghan Markle.”

It comes after Meghan explained she had suicidal thoughts mostly down to the British press and lack of support from the Institution she had married in to. 

Piers went on to say: “I wouldn’t believe it if she read me a weather report.

“The fact that she’s fired up this onslaught against our Royal family I think is contemptible.”

Mind, the charity that helped nearly 19,000 people struggling with mental health issues during the pandemic alone, posted a statement on Twitter after Piers’ comments.

They explained that they are now in conversations with ITV to launch a Be Kind campaign with the flagship show This Morning. 

The charity said: “We were disappointed and concerned to see Piers Morgan’s comments about not believing Meghan Markle’s experiences about suicidal thoughts today.

“It’s vital that when people reach out for support or share their experiences of ill mental health that they are treated with dignity, respect and empathy.

“We are in conversations with ITV about this at the moment.”

Adding: “If you or anyone you know is feeling impacted by the discussions that have taken place today please reach out for support using signposts in the thread below.”

Many are disgusted by Piers’ comments and some are calling for regulator Ofcom to conduct a formal investigation into his remarks about Meghan. 

Loose Women panelist Denise Welch tweeted: “I have been a mental health advocate for over 30 years when my lifelong struggle with clinical depression began.

“Today it feels as though all the work done to reduce stigma and taboo has been pointless as I see people call Meghan a liar for confessing to suicidal thoughts.”

Author Caitlin Moran said: “Astonished breakfast TV allowed the original comment. A terrifyingly irresponsible thing to say.”

On live TV this morning, Piers Morgan stormed off the Good Morning Britain set after his co-star Alex Beresford called out his behaviour from the morning before.

Alex described Piers’ behaviour as ‘absolutely diabolical’.

Referring to claims that Piers has previously spoken to Meghan but she has since stopped, Alex said: “She’s entitled to cut you off if she wants to. Has she said anything about you since she cut you off? I don’t think she has.

“Yet you continue to trash her.”

Regarding their decision to leave the UK, Alex added: “They have had an overwhelming amount of negative press.

“I watched it again yesterday and yes they had some great press around the wedding, but everything that has followed since has been damaging to Meghan’s mental health.”

If you are struggling with your own mental health, you can contact Mind on 0300 123 3393 Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm. Alternatively, see what other free options are available from the NHS here

TV & Film

Love Island’s Jacques reveals hateful comments made him ‘want to go into hiding’ after leaving villa

Jacques quit the show amid controversy over his behaviour in Casa Amor

Published

on

ITV & @jacques9oneill_ / Instagram

Love Island star Jacques O’Neill has opened up about his shock exit from the villa, revealing that he ‘wanted to go into hiding’ and was initially ‘angry’ with his mum.

The twenty-three-year-old came onto the show as a bombshell on day seven, and was quick to strike up a romance with Welsh paramedic Paige Thorne. 

However, his behaviour with new arrivals while the girls were away in Casa Amor caused a rift between the pair and, after twenty-nine days in the villa, the former rugby player announced he would be leaving, saying he felt he could ‘no longer be myself’. 

Since his departure from the show, Jacques has been inundated with hateful comments on social media, something he has now said made him ‘want to go into hiding’. 

Appearing on Good Morning Britain yesterday (August 4th), Jacques discussed his experience in the aftermath of the show, saying: “When I first came out, I was very scared. I was scared of life and what was to come next for me.

“All I wanted to do was go into hiding with my mum. I was getting so much hate. We were getting death threats so I said to my mum ‘we just need to stay indoors’.”

He added: “I planned to delete social media and never been seen again.” 

However, Jacques also admitted he was initially ‘angry’ with his mum after finding out she’d spoken about his ADHD in an Instagram post while he was in the villa, something he says he didn’t want used as an excuse for his behaviour.

He said: “When I got out, I was so ready to delete that [Instagram post]. I was angry at my mum… I didn’t want an excuse for my behaviour. It wasn’t that at all. My mum was getting hate, I think she felt she had to.”

But once the dust had settled, Jacques said he was able to see all the positive messages being sent to him, with fans calling him an ‘inspiration’ and a ‘role model’ for others living with ADHD.

Read More: Love Island’s Liam Llewellyn breaks silence on his decision to leave the villa

He explained: “I then started to get messages saying I’m a role model with the ADHD thing and I decided I need to stand up and be there for them. I was overwhelmed with it all.

“I’ve been posting a lot saying thank you because if it wasn’t for them, I would still be in that dark place, if it wasn’t for the people giving me love I would be in a bad place.”

“I suddenly thought if people are thinking this about me, I can’t just turn my back on it. I need to stand up and do something. I was getting fully grown men message me and say I was an inspiration. It was overwhelming.”

He then revealed that he plans on using his new platform to help those living with the condition, that affects behaviour and concentration. 

He said: “My plan moving forward is to work with kids with ADHA, disabilities. A lot of people come out thinking about money but if I can put a smile one someone’s face it makes my day.”

Visit the NHS website for more information on ADHD, its symptoms and various treatments available.

Continue Reading

TV & Film

ITV confirms Big Brother will return in 2023 with ‘back to basics’ reboot

The revived show will reportedly be aimed at a ‘legion of younger fans’

Published

on

ITV

Big Brother will officially be making its come back with a ‘back to basics’ reboot next year, ITV has confirmed. 

The reality show originally aired in 2000 on Channel 4, where it enjoyed ten successful years until its axe in 2010. Channel 5 temporarily revived the show the following year, but that too faced the chop seven years later in 2018.

But now, ITV has confirmed it will be the one to bring Big Brother back to screens once more, with the series going ‘back to basics’ on ITV2 next year.

Much like the former seasons, ‘housemates’ from across the country and all walks of life will be homed in a brand new Big Brother house, with the eyes of the nation watching their every move across a six week period.

According to the show release, ‘the action will all play out under the roof of the iconic Big Brother house, which will be given its own contemporary new look ready for this reimagining of the show.’

The release added: “Clever tasks, nail-biting nominations and live evictions will be back, with the public once again playing a crucial role, voting throughout the series and ultimately determining the winner, who will walk away with a life changing cash prize.”

ITV2 Controller Paul Mortimer said of the news: “This refreshed, contemporary new series of Big Brother will contain all the familiar format points that kept viewers engaged and entertained the first time round, but with a brand new look and some additional twists that speak to today’s audience.

“We’re beyond excited to bring this iconic series to ITV2 and ITVX where it should especially engage with our younger viewers.”

Reports back in April suggested the revived Big Brother would replicate the success of ITV2’s smash hit dating series Love Island, with the aim to open up to a legion of younger fans. 

A TV source said: “ITV is the home of big appointment telly. They know better than anyone how to put on big live events.

“They think putting it on ITV2 will open it up to a new audience and legion of younger fans. They are really keen on getting the deal done on Big Brother, and hope to have something firm to announce soon.

“It needs the full treatment and they’re confident they are the ones who can return it to its legendary former glory. It has millions of fans and is one of the most iconic TV shows of its generation.”

An exact release date is yet to be announced.

Continue Reading

TV & Film

Love Island’s Liam Llewellyn breaks silence on his decision to leave the villa

‘I took a chance but I realised I can’t live on TV’

Published

on

@liam.llewellynx / Instagram & ITV

Love Island star Liam Llewellyn has broken his silence on why he chose to leave the villa after just six days on the reality show.

The twenty-three-year-old student, from Wales, was originally coupled up with Gemma Owen before she was put into a new couple with new boy Davide Sanclimenti.

Following the recoupling, Liam became the first contestant to quit the show, with him announcing his departure to fellow islanders six days into the series.

He revealed at the time: “I don’t really think I’ve been giving 100% Liam… I’m miles off that.”

ITV

And now, as this year’s Love Island draws to a close, Liam has broken his silence on his decision, putting his early departure down to the show’s production.

Speaking to the MailOnline, Liam explained: “I thought I was going to have the summer that everyone dreams of but now I’m living with no regrets, I took a chance but I realised I can’t live on TV.

“I was expected to do things for a TV show and I couldn’t be myself. I didn’t want to do it. It is a TV show and it is produced. It’s not all natural.

“In my head I was not in the right position to take part in a TV show because that’s what you’re doing. You have to go on dates, do challenges, and you’re not in control of any of it.”

Liam went on to reveal that during his dates, producers would make him repeat certain sentences because they ‘didn’t quite come through’.

ITV

He continued: “I had loads of meetings with the execs, the series editor, and professional physiologists but after a couple of days of feeling the way I did, I made the decision on my own behalf that it wasn’t right for me to carry on.”

In response, an ITV spokesperson said in a statement: “As anyone who watches the show regularly would know, Love Island is a combination of reality and produced elements that are reflective of what’s happening in the villa, and is a fair and accurate representation of villa life.

“We have always been completely transparent about this and the way the show is made. This is often acknowledged in the voice over by Iain Stirling.

“The opinions they have and the relationships formed are completely within the control of the Islanders themselves. As we have said since series one, Love Island is a combination of reality and produced elements.”

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2022 Manchester's Finest Group