If you tuned in to BBC Breakfast this morning you were probably one of the many viewers left in tears from an emotional segment.
A pensioner from Oldham appeared on the show on Wednesday to talk about loneliness. Terrence explained that Christmas was ‘not a very good day’ for him, since his mum died 20 years ago.
Presenter Dan Walker was so touched by Terrence’s story he decided to organise a surprise for the Greater Manchester man – who had spent the last 20 Christmas Days on his own – this morning.
The pensioner would usually spend Christmas Day watching TV and eating a sandwich rather than the traditional dinner, and never usually bought a Christmas tree.
However, this year students from Oldham College brought festive cheer to his doorstep, gifting him a Christmas tree which they decorated together, before he was led outside to see the student choir singing Silent Night outside his house.
The festive surprise left Terrence in tears, as it did a lot of viewers. One wrote underneath the video on Twitter: “You [Dan Walker], are a legend. My husband and I watched this story earlier this morning and we were both in tears. You’ve made such a difference to Terence’s Christmas this year, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Merry Christmas.”
And it turns out Terrence is no stranger to helping others himself, as he volunteers for Age UK, doing home visits to see a 90-year-old with severe dementia called Nancy.
He said: “I love doing volunteering, it’s helped me so much. I used to always be on my own. I am giving something back, because Age UK give me hope in the first place.”
What an absolute legend! We all hope you have a great Christmas and New Year Terrence.
Netflix boss confirms adverts are coming to the streaming platform ‘in next year or two’
Netflix lost around 200k subscribers at the start of 2022
Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos has confirmed adverts will be coming to some subscription packages as part of its vision for the future.
While the lack of adverts is undoubtedly one of Netflix’s biggest selling points, the streaming service has revealed that adverts will soon be a part of its viewing experience in response to the rising cost of living and increasing competition.
Netflix lost around 200,000 subscribers in the first quarter of 2022, and is expected to lose even more in the coming months as people cut back on their monthly outgoings.
In response to this, Netflix has confirmed it is now in the process of introducing a more cost-effective tier of subscription with adverts on the platform.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Ted Sarandos confirmed at the Cannes Lions advertising festival that the streaming service had already started talks with potential advertisers.
He explained: “We’ve left a big customer segment off the table, which is people who say: ‘Hey, Netflix is too expensive for me and I don’t mind advertising’.
“We’re adding an ad tier; we’re not adding ads to Netflix as you know it today. We’re adding an ad tier for folks who say, ‘Hey, I want a lower price and I’ll watch ads’.”
He also discussed the possibility of Netflix being bought out in the future as a result of the company’s plunging stock price since the start of the year.
While admitting the chances that someone might buy out Netflix are ‘always a reality’, Sarandos insisted the streaming giant had it in them to ‘return to prosperity’ by itself.
He previously said that the ad-backed tier would launch ‘in the next year or two’, and would do so as a publisher without the data tracking and ad-matching that some competitors are embracing.
This comes just months after the streaming giant announced it would be increasing the cost of its subscription packages for all UK customers.
Netflix said the increase in price – which will be by £1 or £2 depending on the subscription – will allow its service to ‘continue investing in best in class UK productions’ as well as ‘offer a wide variety of curated quality shows and films’ to customers.’
Gordon Ramsay WILL reunite with Gino D’Acampo and Fred Siriex for new road trip series
The mischievous trio could be back on our screens sooner than we’d thought…
Contrary to previous rumours, Gordon Ramsay will be reuniting with Gino D’Acampo and Fred Siriex for a new road trip series, a television source has confirmed this week.
Last year, fans of the trio were devastated when This Morning star Gino hinted his fellow chef wouldn’t have time to embark upon another road trip adventure, with him currently filming the second season of the BBC’s Future Food Stars.
In November, Gino mischievously wrote on Twitter: “Breaking News… Unfortunately we will no longer be filming #GordonGinoandFred mainly because @gordongram is too busy working on his hair highlights in USA.”
However, this week a source put Gino’s hint to bed by confirming that Gordon has indeed found time in his busy schedule and hairdressers appointments to squeeze in another culinary adventure with his pals.
The source said: “He is something of a victim of his own success at the moment, and he has so much on it’s tricky fitting it all in.
“He already has something of a logistical conundrum co-ordinating his diary with the busy Fred and Gino, and that’s before they try to set up a string of filming locations — which have yet to be decided.”
The insider added that the trio plan to hit the road ‘as soon as possible’ so that fans are able to enjoy the show as soon as possible.
They said: “But they are determined to hit the road again as soon as possible and deliver the new show as planned.”
Since starting five years ago, Gordon, Gino and Fred’s Road Trip has boomed in popularity, with their latest adventure being in Greece.
The trio have travelled across various parts of the globe together as a part of the ITV series – America, France and Italy, to name a few – and have experienced many weird and wonderful customs along the way.
Last year they ventured to Greece and were due to go to Egypt, though their trip was sadly cut short by the Covid pandemic.
ITV is yet to confirm any news about the new series.
Coronation Street’s Maria Windass embroiled in ‘mortifying’ online porn scandal
Maria’s in for a sorry old time next week…
Coronation Street’s Samia Longchambon has revealed her character Maria will become embroiled in a ‘mortifying’ online porn scandal.
Samia’s latest storyline has seen Maria – who she has played since 2000 – embark upon a political career, with her putting green issues at the top of her agenda as the newly-elected councillor for Weatherfield.
However, as bin men strike over her new refuge collection policies, Maria will attempt to salvage her reputation by giving an impassioned speech on the importance of the environment. But there, she will discover that she is at the centre of a new viral video.
In the video, her words from the speech have been chopped up and rearranged along to a rap tune to manipulate the message she was trying to deliver.
Speaking of the upcoming storyline, Samia said: “Basically, Maria’s like this rap star, but she doesn’t want to be. She feels really embarrassed and humiliated by it.
“It knocks her confidence as her heart is in the right place with it all and she feels like everyone is just laughing at her.”
However, things will get even worse for Maria when she discovers a second video circulating, but this time featuring her head superimposed onto a pornographic video.
Samia explained: “It’s awful. She’s been hiding the first video from Liam [her son], not wanting him to see it because she’s embarrassed and then she gets a call while in the street, in the middle of a todo with Gemma and Sally over the bin strike, saying Liam’s been in a fight.
“It’s not until she gets home and he shows her the video. She’s absolutely mortified… One that it exists and two that it’s her son that showed it to her and that he’s actually seen this video and thinks that it’s her because it really looks like her. These deep fakes actually look like the person.
“She’s mortified thinking people will think she’s been doing pornography.”
And if that wasn’t bad enough, Maria will then find herself subject to trolling and even death threats. The character will then host a press conference to expose the horrific behaviour of online trolls.
Gary later suspects the refuse team leader Jimmy as the mastermind behind the abuse after Maria is heckled at her press conference, and subsequently launches an attack against him, prompting Maria to consider quitting the council.
Coronation Street continues tomorrow on ITV at 8pm.