Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

TV & Film

Dr Hilary warns ‘Christmas will not happen’ unless people change what they’re doing

Just in…

Alex Watson

Published

on

ITV

Appearing on Good Morning Britain, Dr Hilary Jones warned that Christmas might not happen if we don’t change our ways. 

On the morning show, Dr Hilary said that the public has to take responsibility if they want to celebrate Christmas this year.

The update comes following Boris Johnson’s announcement last night, where he added he was ‘hopeful’ the festive season will still go head if testing can increase to 500,000 a day in the UK by the end of October.  

Hilary also spoke about Matt Hancock placing the blame on young people for the threat of the second wave. He said:  “When it comes to young people being blamed, I don’t think they should be blamed for the transmission of the virus.

“But, what they need to know is unless people behave responsibly there is a risk of jobs being lost and money being unavailable.”

He added: “The things that young people want to buy like their trainers, or their CDs, or their music, or go to venues – they’re not going to be able to do that unless everyone behaves in such a way that limits transmission and gets a handle on this.”

Continuing, Dr Hilary said: “If you look at what’s happening in France and especially in Spain, we have always been lagging behind what’s happening there – and it’s really worrying.

“9,000 cases were recorded in France last Friday and many more hospitalisations in Spain. We don’t want to be there. So, if we do our bit and just you know, do what we’re told for a bit actually then I think we will make some progress.”

Dr Hilary then spoke about the death rate, which has recently reached 30, an increase from two.

He said that the stats could rise despite the rate remaining small: “They were very small in January, they were very small in February and look what’s happened.

“41,000 people died so far plus, so we don’t want to be there again the virus hasn’t changed. Transmission is increasing, the R rate is going up, there will be an exponential rise so we need to make changes.”

He urged that if ‘everyone wants a nice Christmas’ we must ‘change what we’re doing’.

He said: “Whether we are going to get things back to normal at all by Christmas, I’m still hopeful, as I’ve said before, that in many ways we could be able to get some aspects of our lives back to normal by Christmas.”

TV & Film

Matt Lucas’ hilarious Boris Johnson impression has been hailed the ‘best Bake Off opening ever’

Last night’s episode was hilarious!

Alex Watson

Published

on

Channel 4

Last night saw the launch of this year’s Great British Bake Off, and fans are calling new presenter Matt Lucas’ opening ‘genuis’. 

The debut of the show kicked off with the Little Britain star mimicking Boris Johnson’s coronavirus briefings that we’ve all come to know (but definitely not love) very well. 

Lucas has replaced Sandi Toksvig as co-presenter for the Channel 4 show, alongside Noel Fielding.

Kicking off with the first scene, Lucas is shown wearing a blonde wig and standing at a podium with the slogan: “Stay Alert, Bake Cake, Save Loaves.”

Fans were worried earlier on on Tuesday as they would have to decide between Boris or Bake Off, as Boris’ briefing was scheduled for the exact same time.

Luckily, Bake Off was postponed for 15 minutes.

Lucas began, stumbling over his words, saying ‘Good evening, let’s get straight to it.’

He continued: “We are now approaching phase 46 which means that from Tuesday morning or Wednesday evening, depending on your height, we are saying, with regards to baking, that if you must bake in a tent, bake in a tent, but please don’t bake in a tent…”

Lucas added: “We are asking people to use common sense with regards to the distribution of the hundreds and thousands.”

The clip then panned to Noel, video-linked in to ask a very important and pressing question, ‘is it scone or scone?’

Pru and Paul then both answer, with completely different pronunciations, leaving everyone just as confused as ever. 

Fans have been howling over the skit ever since. One user wrote: “I could watch Matt Lucas doing Boris Johnson impersonations for the rest of 2020. In fact, it may be the only thing that gets me through 2020.”

Another added: “I can’t listen to Boris Johnson now without visualising Matt Lucas”

That’s not the only part of the show that has had viewers in stitches.

In what is being hailed the ‘silliest showstopper’ yet fans had to immortalise their heroes in sponge cake.

The tent quickly became a budget Madame Tussauds, complete with a mouthless Bob Marley, a neckless Freddie Mercury plus an inflated David Bowie. 

One Twitter user wrote: “I didn’t think 2020 could get any worse until someone baked a Louis Theroux cake”

Another, speaking of Freddie’s head, said: “Not the hero we deserved but the hero we needed”.

I already can’t wait for next week! 

Continue Reading

TV & Film

ITV’s new series ‘Des’ hit with Ofcom complaints due to ‘horrifying’ scenes

Have you watched it yet?

Alex Watson

Published

on

ITV

Des, a new three-part series on ITV, has been hit with Ofcom complaints as viewers were left ‘horrified’ from the scenes detailing gruesome murders.

Des features the story of serial killer Dennis Nilsen, who murdered at least 12 men in the space of five years, between 1978 and 1983 in London.

Played by David Tennant, Des’s talk of boiled heads, dismemberment and necrophilia, plus extensive chain-smoking on the series, has prompted viewers to complain to Ofcom.

Taking to Twitter, one viewer wrote: “Oh it’s time to scare myself silly again watching @itv #Des I’m hoping @TwiningsUK is going to help this evening #scared #itv #itvdes #tea #twinings #sleep.”

Another tweeted David’s co-star, Daniel Mays, who plays DCI Jay, the detective in charge of the case: “@DanielMays9 Just watched Des, scared to go to sleep now!”

The killer was found out when a workman found chunks of human remains in the drain of Nilsen’s home in Muswell Hill. More remains were found before Des confessed to the murders.

There are chilling scenes which sees Nilsen defend carrying out despicable acts on the corpses.

Nilsen’s biographer, Brian Masters, asked him about having sex with the victims to which Nilsen replied ‘it wasn’t about sex’, adding that Brian was trying to find ‘simple answers.

Brian replies: “I’m not trying to simplify anything but you did have sex with these young men after they died.”

Nilsen creepily replied: “No, I did not. Did I enjoy them? Yes.

“Did I gain some sort of satisfaction from looking at their naked bodies next to mine in the mirror? I didn’t penetrate them.

“The only thing I did was squeeze the life out of a human being, that was wrong, that was unforgivable. I’ll be properly punished for it.”

He continued: “What I did with a corpse was neither here nor there. If you’re more disgusted by what I did to a corpse than what I did to a living man, then your moral system is upside down.”

Continue Reading

TV & Film

Girl hasn’t spoken to mum in over three years due to tattoo that tore family apart

Thoughts?

Alex Watson

Published

on

A Current Affair

Almost everyone worries about telling their mum they got a tattoo, but this mum’s reaction was seriously bad.

Casey was only 16 at the time of getting her dreamcatcher tattoo on her ankle, meaning she needed parent’s signed permission. 

At the time she was living with her dad who agreed she could get the tat, which symbolises luck and has special meaning to her. 

But her father has now been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and wounding a person with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm by Casey’s mum. 

A Current Affair

The latter charge has now been dropped, however the assault charge remains and could result in five years imprisonment for the dad who pleaded not guilty. 

Casey’s mum has lodged court proceedings over the incident saying the decision was made without her consent.

Casey has not spoken to her mum since. 

Speaking on Australian TV, Casey’s dad said: “I’ll do anything for Casey, to protect my daughter. Yeah, I would go to extreme [lengths for] all my kids. They mean the world to me.”

A Current Affair

Casey then explained that she hadn’t spoken to her mother in years, saying: “I haven’t spoken to mum in 3 years.”

She added that her dad was ‘all I could ever ask for. He’s the best dad. He does everything for me’.

She explained: “I can go to him about anything, teaches me how to do stuff, can ask him anything. He’s always there for me when I need help.”

Sam Macedone, a lawyer, also appeared on the TV show and explained that it is legal for one parent to give consent. He explained: “Having this man charged with assaulting her is, in my mind, ridiculous.”

The GBH charge has been dropped but the ABH is still being fought. 

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2019 Proper Manchester