Coronation Street was slapped with hundreds of complaints regarding a comment made during Monday night’s episode, Ofcom has revealed today.
The ITV soap, which has been on air for over sixty years, has been tackling more controversial and somewhat dark topics in its storylines as of late, such as murder, assault, and mental illness.
However, while Corrie has been mostly applauded for taking on these topics and raising awareness, it hasn’t been without its backlash.
And the latest example comes in the form of Evelyn Plummer, played by actress Maureen Lipman. Viewers of the soap complained when Tyrone Dobbs’ grandmother gave her opinion on ‘play therapy.’
It came as Evelyn tried to help Tyrone and Fiz deal with their daughter Hope’s latest crime. Fiz, played by Jennie McApline, had spent the night in a police cell after admitting to starting the fire at the flat Tyron shared with new girlfriend Alina Pop, to cover for her daughter, who had actually started the fire.
Viewers saw the factory worker then suffer a miscarriage before discovering the fire was being treated as arson.
Evelyn then urged Tyrone to make Fiz see sense, pointing out that Hope needed ‘professional help.’
The character said: “She’s had play therapy, touchy, feely rubbish, new age, but she needs something long-term. Teach her right from wrong.”
Ofcom has since confirmed that they received 275 complaints regarding Evelyn’s comment on play therapy. Play Therapy UK (PTUK) and Play Therapy International also criticised the remarks, which they claimed ‘discounted the effectiveness of play therapy, bringing the profession into disrepute.’
According to reports, Coronation Street has received more Ofcom complaints than any other TV show on British TV over the past five years.
Jeremy Kyle returning to TV next month three years after show was axed
The Jeremy Kyle Show was pulled from the air following the death of a contestant in 2019
Jeremy Kyle is set to make his television come-back for the first time since his original show was pulled from the air.
The Jeremy Kyle Show made its debut in 2005 and enjoyed a seventeen-season run until it was axed in 2019 following the death of a contestant.
Steve Dymond was found dead from a suspected morphine overdose just days after appearing on the show, where he allegedly ‘failed’ one of the infamous lie detector tests.
Filming and broadcasting for The Jeremy Kyle Show was immediately suspended following the tragedy, with Kyle himself disappearing from screens.
The host has stayed relatively under the radar and out of the spotlight only until recently, with him presenting various slots for TalkRadio and TalkTV since September last year.
But over three years on from the demise of The Jeremy Kyle Show, the host is now set to return to screens with his very own ‘straight-talking’ live television show.
Jeremy Kyle Live will make its debut on TalkTV next month on October 10th, and will see the ‘straight-talking voice of the people take on the issues that really matter’.
In a statement, the fifty-seven-year-old said: “I’m so excited to be going back to live television from October 10th. Sitting in for Piers [Morgan] over the summer has given me a taste for what the new show will be.
“Jeremy Kyle Live will be making sense of the stories that matter; speaking the language of the British people and providing practical help as we all try and navigate our way through current times.
“I can’t wait to be a part of TalkTV’s amazing new primetime lineup.”
A spokesperson for TalkTV previously said in a statement: “TalkTV’s primetime schedule will also be simulcast on TalkRadio, and TalkRadio’s roster of daytime talent, including Julia Hartley-Brewer, Mike Graham, Ian Collins and Jeremy Kyle, will be broadcast on talkTV.
“TalkRadio has seen fast growth in recent years across all platforms and has been broadcasting successfully on talkRadio TV since last year.”
Jeremy Kyle Live will air daily on TalkTV from October 10th.
Ant and Dec confirm new I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here show in South Africa
The new version of the series will air next year
Ant and Dec have announced that there will be a new version of I’m A Celebrity held in South Africa.
Sharing the exciting news onto Twitter, the Geordie duo said the new series would feature a selection of ‘favourite celebrities from the last twenty years’ brought together in a brand new setting.
In their announcement video posted onto social media, Dec said: “It’s probably the worst kept secret in television, but we can confirm we’re doing a very special series of I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! in South Africa!”
Showing off the South African scenery behind him, Dec added: “We’re here, it’s going to be your favourite celebrities from the last twenty years who are going back in to do it one more time.”
Ant and Dec said in their caption that the series would be ‘coming to your tellies’ at some point in 2023.
No specific names from the past twenty years of I’m A Celebrity have been confirmed for the special show, though announcements are expected in the coming months.
Their announcement comes after it was confirmed that the show, which sees celebrities camp out and take part in notorious ‘bush tucker trials’, will be returning to the Australian jungle for its 2022 series.
The series has been set in Gwrych Castle in Wales for the last two years as a result of Australia’s strict Covid-19 travel restrictions, but now Australia’s borders are open the show will be heading back down under, ITV announced earlier this year.
ITV’s director of content Rosemary Newell confirmed the news to The Mirror, saying in a statement: “We expect I’m A Celebrity to return in Australia in November, when it will generate audience over 11 million.”
Ant and Dec had previously expressed their own hopes for the series to return to its original Australian location, with Dec telling The One Show: “We love Wales but you know, Australia is its home and we’d like to get back there if we can.”
I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here first aired in 2002, where it was filmed in Tully, Queensland. It then moved to Murwillumbah, New South Wales, where it remained until the Covid pandemic.
First look at ‘terrifying’ new Netflix horror series from Haunting of Hill House creator
The ten-part series will follow a group of young people living in a hospice as they search for signs of life after death
Netflix has released the trailer for its brand new horror series courtesy of the creator of Haunting of Hill House.
The Midnight Club is based on the 1994 novel of the same title by Christopher Pike, and will tell the chilling tale of a gang of young adults all living together in a hospice.
The group meet up every night in the library to tell each other sinister stories, as well as look out for signs of life after death.
One night, the friends make a pact to make contact from beyond the grave once they’ve passed away from their terminal illnesses – but when one of the group does die, strange happenings begin to occur within the hospice.
Netflix’s official synopsis for the ten-part series reads: “At a hospice for terminally ill young adults, eight patients come together every night at midnight to tell each other stories – and make a pact that the next of them to die will give the group a sign from the beyond.”
The series has been produced, directed and written by The Haunting of Hill House writer Mike Flanagan and The Haunting of Bly Manor writer Leah Fong.
Actors include Adia, Igby Rigney, Ruth Codd, Aya Furukawa, Annarah Shephard, William Chris Sumpter and Sauriyan Sapkota, with Heather Langenkamp as the enigmatic doctor presiding over Rotterdam Home.
Flanagan said at the start of the year that he had ‘been dreaming of this project’ since he was a teenager.
He tweeted back in February: “I’ve been dreaming of this project since I was a teenager, and I cannot wait to embark on yet another adventure with my @intrepid partner in crime (and television) Trevor Macy, as well as the fantastic crew we’ve been cultivating.”
As well as his work on The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor, Flanagan is also celebrated for his adaptations of Stephen King’s Gerald’s Game and Doctor Sleep, the chilling sequel to The Shining.
The Midnight Club will be released on Netflix next month on October 7th.