A man’s story has gone viral after he spent 24 hours reuniting a 93-year-old disabled woman with her purse.
Paul Young runs a removals business in West Yorkshire, and was working at a sheltered accommodation for the over 55s earlier this month when he found a purse.
The 37-year-old took to Facebook, saying: “Been working in Rycroft green most of the day, just come out and found a purse full of money.
“Really want to get it back to its owner but can’t find the warden so hoping the power of Facebook can help find its owner.
“Just let me know what’s in the purse and you can have it back.”
People were keen to reunite the purse with its owner and the post quickly went viral on social media, and Paul received a phone call from one of the staff members at the flats.
Speaking to the Yorkshire Evening Post, Paul said they told him a disabled lady had lost a purse, so he quickly headed down to the flats to reunite her with her property.
She told Paul that she’d been ‘upset for the whole day’ worrying about the purse.
The good Samaritan told the YEP that ‘the smile on her face was enough’, adding: “I hope one day if it ever happens to me or my family, the same thing happens.”
He explained how he got the purse back: “We are regulars there so everyone knows who we are as we have moved so many elders into there.
“Just as we were finishing up on Friday evening we found a purse outside containing money but no ID or bank cards.
“We suspected that it may be one of the residents but couldn’t be sure as many people enter the building.
“I put a post out on Facebook as I’ve got a fair few people on there to share around.
“At the end of the day you don’t know if it’s the last of somebody’s money or it’s all they have left. My partner’s parents live in the same building so I wouldn’t want it to happen to them.
“The post got shared around. The next day we had a phone call from a lady that worked in the Rycroft building who told us that a disabled lady had lost a purse.”
More than 30,000 sign petition calling for people who walk dogs during a heatwave to be fined
So many dogs are unknowingly suffering in the heatwave
A petition calling for fines for all those who walk their dogs during heatwaves has surpassed 30,000 signatures.
The petition was launched by twenty-five year old Paige Spearman, who wants owners to refrain from walking their pets in temperatures above 20 degrees celsius.
In her Change.org description, she explained: “Far too many family fur babies die every year from heat stroke due to negligence, and ignorance. A dogs average body temperature is 38/39° so anything over 40/41° can become fatal if not recognised quickly.
“I believe fines should be enforceable if ANYONE is seen walking a dog in 20° heat and over by the police. As well as people speaking up and calling the police if they see this happening but with supporting evidence.”
She went on to explain that, because tarmac takes a couple of hours to cool down after being in direct sunlight, the only appropriate time to walk a dog on a hot day is in the early evening – and even then, water should always be on hand.
At the time of writing, Paige’s petition has reached 30,491 signatures – it needs 100,000 for the topic to be debated in parliament.
The petition comes as the country continues to be gripped by a heatwave, with has seen temperature highs of 31 degrees celsius; while this hot weather may be a treat for most of us, for our dogs, it can be deadly.
Dogs are unable to regulate their body temperatures as well as we do; panting is the only way a dog can cool down and, sadly, it isn’t enough to stop them from overheating.
Signs of heatstroke in dogs include heavy panting and excessive drooling. They may appear lethargic, drowsy or uncoordinated, or collapse and vomit in extreme circumstances.
The RSPCA advises people to dial 999 immediately if an animal starts displaying these symptoms.
What to do if you’ve been bitten by a horsefly as they descend on Manchester in the heat
These flies carry a seriously painful bite…
As the heatwave continues to grip the nation, the higher temperatures and humid conditions have brought with it a myriad of horseflies.
We can never just enjoy the nice weather in peace, can we?
Horseflies – known unaffectionately as clegs – are large, hairy flies with bites that pack a serious punch.
The pesky insects are known to thrive in warm and humid conditions so, as you can imagine, Greater Manchester is swarming with them at the moment.
A bite from a horsefly can be seriously painful and, though not considered to be generally harmful, they can lead to some nasty infections.
If you’ve been bitten, the NHS advises the following.
Bite hack 101: Clean the area. It’s important to keep the bite clean because if bacteria gets into the skin it can become infected. It’s best to clean the wound with an antiseptic soap and warm water. It will also help to keep the wound covered to prevent infection.
The website also recommends applying a cold compress, which will soothe the bitten area and stop any itchiness or inflammation. Elevating the affected area has also been proven to help reduce swelling.
Though if you’re looking for a quick remedy, doctors have been known to recommend using an over-the-counter steroid cream containing hydrocortisone. Ibuprofen gel can also help ease any pain and swelling.
The official NHS website says: “A bite from a horsefly can be very painful and the bitten area of skin will usually be red and raised.
“Horsefly bites can take a while to heal and can become infected. See your GP if you have symptoms of an infection, such as pus or increasing pain, redness and swelling.”
You should contact your GP or 111 if the symptoms do not improve within a few days, if you’ve been stung around the eyes or mouth, if you develop flu like symptoms or if the bite becomes infected. Dial 999 if you began wheezy or dizzy, experience nausea or vomiting or you lose consciousness.
Women lose three hours sleep every night because of their partners, according to study
This explains a few things…
Ladies, are you feeling a bit knackered today? Well, there might be an explanation, and they’re sleeping right next to you.
A new study has produced findings that suggest us women are losing sleep at night, and it’s all thanks to our partners. I, for one, am not at all shocked by this news.
Commissioned by Bensons for Beds, the study analysed 2,000 British couples and found various reasons for this disruption in our sleep patterns, with a massive one in four women blaming their partner’s snoring.
One in three women also added that they wake up every single night compared to just two out of every ten men, with one in two women admitting they feel ‘constantly sleep deprived.’
According to the study, other triggers that cause sleep loss include period pains and children crying (14%), while a third of women just think their partners are better at sleeping.
However, it isn’t all peaceful nights for men, either – two in ten men interviewed reported that their sleep was regularly disrupted.
On the gloomy statistics for women’s quality of sleep, Helen Nunn from Bensons for Beds said: “It’s worrying to see that this research has found women are getting less sleep and feeling more tired than their male counterparts.”
Stephanie Romiszewski, the company’s sleep expert, added: “It makes sense that men and women have different sleep needs – we are in some ways very different. With hormonal changes that come with menstruation, pregnancy and menopause, the biological differences are huge.
“With this in mind, it’s really helpful for us to get into a few good sleep habits that can help us get through.”
The NHS offers a range of different tips to get a better night’s sleep – their website suggests a number of wind-down techniques such as relaxation exercises, avoiding the use of smartphones past a certain time and reading books before bed.
They also suggest keeping a sleep diary, and to make your bedroom ‘sleep friendly’ as there’s a ‘strong association in people’s minds between sleep and the bedroom.’