The boss of one of the UK’s biggest energy firms has warned that energy bills could rise by another £1,000 this winter unless the government takes ‘immediate action’.
The chief executive of Scottish Power Keith Anderson has said a fresh support package from the government would be ‘vital’ before the cost of gas and electricity increases again in October.
Scottish Power forecasts the price cap could reach as high as £2,900 this winter, putting further pressure on families after the energy price cap rose by a record 54% last month.
Ahead of this, Anderson has said ‘immediate action’ is necessary to help the industry make preparations and to support families.
Speaking to BBC Breakfast this morning, he said: “We need to be realistic about the gravity of the situation – around 40% of UK households, potentially 10 million homes, could be in fuel poverty this winter.
“You need to be in a position to name a solution in July if there’s going to be time to devise a method of implementing it in time for October.
“It will be monumentally complicated. The key thing here is urgency and speed.”
Anderson also pointed out that more energy companies could collapse if their customers were unable to pay their bills.
He explained: “We need to find a way to help to those that need it in time for winter in a way that doesn’t exacerbate the issues we’ve already seen in the industry with supplier failures and very real concerns about bill payers running up unsustainable debts.”
The government has been under intense scrutiny for its response to the energy crisis, which includes a one-off £150 council tax rebate and a £200 energy bill ‘loan’, which will then have to be paid back over five annual £40 payments.
However, even with the energy price cap poised to raise yet again this year, Rishi Sunak recently said now is not the time to provide more support for those continuing to struggle with the rising costs.
Woman left fuming after boyfriend ‘told he’s too old’ to get into Manchester bar
‘I’m quite disturbed by the whole event.’
A woman has been left ‘fuming’ after her 48-year-old partner was denied entry into a Manchester city centre bar for being ‘too old’.
The reveller, who asked to remain anonymous, claims she and her boyfriend were stopped from entering Revolucion de Cuba on Peter Street by a member of security, in the early hours of Sunday, January 22nd.
The woman claims that when she accused the member of the door staff of being discriminatory and began filming the incident on her phone, he threatened to assault her. He then pushed her and knocked the phone out of her hand, she says.
A spokesperson for Revolution De Cuba said they were ‘appalled’ to hear about the incident, and confirmed the security staff member in question no longer works for the firm.
Video footage from the incident shows the member of security lunging for the woman’s phone before the filming cuts out.
Speaking to the Manchester Evening News, the woman said the whole incident had left her feeling ‘disturbed’, saying: “We went out quite late and we got to the door of Revolution De Cuba at about 2.15am.
“We went up to the door, and the doorman asked me who I was with. My partner is 10 years older than me. He pointed to him and said ‘no, too old.’ He doesn’t even look 48 but they determined he was too old to go in. There were a lot of young girls going in.
“I asked for their Security Industry Authority number and said it was discrimination. He just said ‘oh you’re too drunk.’ I don’t understand where he got that from but it’s just a standard response isn’t it?”
The woman said the member of security refused to give his SIA number and that she began filming the doorman on her phone, saying: “One of the bouncers, a big guy, said if I filmed him he would assault me.
“I was filming and the bouncer came over and hit my phone out of my hand. I said it didn’t matter what he did with my phone as it was all backed up.
“I’m quite disturbed by the whole event. I rang the police and they said if it’s not an ongoing emergency I needed to call ‘101’, but I haven’t done that yet.”
A spokesperson for Revolucion de Cuba said: “We were appalled to hear about this incident – the safety of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and we demand that everyone is treated fairly and with respect at all times.
“Following our immediate investigation into the incident, the individual concerned is no longer employed by our security firm, Professional Security, and will not be working at any of our venues in the future.”
Millionaire who makes ‘£7,000 in sleep’ has supercar vandalised while at meeting in Manchester
He was in a business meeting when his £100k Audi was vandalised.
A crypto millionaire, who claims he makes thousands of pounds in his sleep, says he is ‘gutted’ after finding his £100,000 car vandalised with insults.
Waseem Khan, 20, says he made his fortune trading crypto currency, and used his earnings to buy a new Audi R8 V10 — which he purchased just three months ago.
The entrepreneur has garnered thousands of followers and views on TikTok, where he recently featured in a video on the infamous Wakey Wines account. Waseem parked his car in Leeds overnight and then came to Manchester for a business meeting.
Speaking to Leeds Live about his experience, he said: “I left town last night, around 11, 12ish. I got called for a business meeting, they said they were gonna pick me up and go to Manchester, so I left my car in the city centre.
“I didn’t think about where I had parked it, came home this afternoon, and I went to get my car and it has been fully vandalised, and I thought it is definitely someone that knows me or something.”
When he returned to Leeds the next day, Waseem found his three-month-old car vandalised with the word ‘die’, with graffiti also branding him a ‘show off’ and a ‘virgin’.
He went on to say: “It just shows, even if you are doing something good in life, there is a lot of hate. I don’t really have any enemies, I think a lot of people just can’t see someone young, do good you know? I have a supercar at 20, they can’t put up with it.”
While he was still ‘gutted’ when he saw the car, he insisted it’s not going to ‘phase him’ adding: “I thought I could take it off, I took it to the car wash and it was not coming off, that is when I started worrying that it needed a paint job or a new wrap sheet.
“It’s not going to phase me, they did it when I wasn’t there, if I was there I don’t think they would have had the urge to do anything like that.
“I would just like to say to them, what you have done is very low and pathetic and childish, you just cannot see someone young doing well, it is just pathetic, they could be following their own dreams instead of destroying someone else’s”.
Khan went on to claim the car was ‘not much of a loss’ as he can ‘make £6-7,000 in [his] sleep’, but he claimed the vandalism was an example of attracting ‘a lot of good people and a lot of bad people’ on social media.
He added: “I would like the person that did it, to come forward.”
Two mums booked £23 flights to Lanzarote for a day
‘What more do you need hun? Book the flight!’
Two mums have gone viral on TikTok after they spontaneously booked flights to Lanzarote for a day out and had the time of their lives.
The best friends, who have seven children between them, decided to book the 2,500 mile trip on a spur of the moment which cost just £23. They then took to social media to share their antics, as reported by the Manchester Evening News.
Posting to her TikTok account ‘@0nlymums’, one of the friends decided that a day in the Canary Islands was the best way to beat the ‘January blues’.
In the video clip, she said: “Well my weekend’s on the up because I’ve just booked a £23 flight to Spain for the day to blow off the January blues — me and the bestie — the packed lunch is made for the kids on Monday and I’ll be back at midnight!”
In another video, she shared photos of her living her best life on the island saying it was: “Better than a Sunday round Sainsbury’s!”
Then she urged others to be more spontaneous too, saying: “Ladies, if you only think you have a day to spare, make it count! You can absolutely do it.”
Describing the time of her life, she added: “We got up at 3.45am – we’ve had the best day in Lanzarote. We’ve been in the sea, had three sex on the beach cocktails, been to Zara – what more do you need hun? Book the flight!”
The video has gained over 600k views in 15 hours and the comment section is flooded with positive messages and love for the mums.