BBC podcaster and cancer campaigner Deborah James has announced she has moved to hospice at home care, nearly six years after she was diagnosed with terminal bowel cancer.
The You, Me And The Big C presenter, forty, was diagnosed with the condition in December 2016, and has since kept her 450,000 Instagram followers updated with candid posts about treatment and what it’s like to live with inoperable cancer.
James, known as Bowel Babe on social media, announced she had ‘nearly died’ in hospital after suffering an acute medical emergency in January, resulting in her spending the majority of the year in and out of hospital.
And last night, after months of gruelling cancer treatment, the mother-of-two shared the ‘message I never wanted to write’ and announced that her treatment had been stopped and she had been moved into hospice at home care.
In an emotional Instagram post, James wrote: “We have tried everything, but my body simply isn’t playing ball.
“My active care has stopped and I am now moved to hospice at home care, with my incredible family all around me and the focus is on making sure I’m not in pain and spending time with them.
“Nobody knows how long I’ve got left but I’m not able to walk, I’m sleeping most of the days, and most things I took for granted are pipe dreams.
“I know we have left no stone unturned. But even with all the innovative cancer drugs in the world or some magic new breakthrough, my body just can’t continue anymore.”
She admitted that while her situation is ‘heartbreaking to be going through’, she is surrounded by so much love that ‘if anything can help me through I hope that will’.
James went on to share her newly established Bowel Babe Fund which raises awareness and money for charities close to her heart, including Cancer Research UK, Bowel Cancer UK and The Royal Marsden Cancer Charity.
She wrote: “All I ask if you ever read a column, followed my Instagram, listened to the podcast or saw me dressed as a poo for no reason. Please buy me a drink to see me out this world, by donating the cost to @bowelbabefund which will enable us to raise funds for further life saving research into cancer.”
James added: “Right now for me it’s all about taking it a day at a time, step by step and being grateful for another sunrise.
“My whole family are around me and we will dance through this together, sunbathing and laughing (I’ll cry!!) at every possible moment!
“You are all incredible, thank you for playing your part in my journey. No regrets. Enjoy life x”.
Since James’ post last night, the Bowel Babe Fund has raised over £1m, which will be distributed between her chosen charities. You can donate for yourself here.
Woman left fuming after boyfriend ‘told he’s too old’ to get into Manchester bar
‘I’m quite disturbed by the whole event.’
A woman has been left ‘fuming’ after her 48-year-old partner was denied entry into a Manchester city centre bar for being ‘too old’.
The reveller, who asked to remain anonymous, claims she and her boyfriend were stopped from entering Revolucion de Cuba on Peter Street by a member of security, in the early hours of Sunday, January 22nd.
The woman claims that when she accused the member of the door staff of being discriminatory and began filming the incident on her phone, he threatened to assault her. He then pushed her and knocked the phone out of her hand, she says.
A spokesperson for Revolution De Cuba said they were ‘appalled’ to hear about the incident, and confirmed the security staff member in question no longer works for the firm.
Video footage from the incident shows the member of security lunging for the woman’s phone before the filming cuts out.
Speaking to the Manchester Evening News, the woman said the whole incident had left her feeling ‘disturbed’, saying: “We went out quite late and we got to the door of Revolution De Cuba at about 2.15am.
“We went up to the door, and the doorman asked me who I was with. My partner is 10 years older than me. He pointed to him and said ‘no, too old.’ He doesn’t even look 48 but they determined he was too old to go in. There were a lot of young girls going in.
“I asked for their Security Industry Authority number and said it was discrimination. He just said ‘oh you’re too drunk.’ I don’t understand where he got that from but it’s just a standard response isn’t it?”
The woman said the member of security refused to give his SIA number and that she began filming the doorman on her phone, saying: “One of the bouncers, a big guy, said if I filmed him he would assault me.
“I was filming and the bouncer came over and hit my phone out of my hand. I said it didn’t matter what he did with my phone as it was all backed up.
“I’m quite disturbed by the whole event. I rang the police and they said if it’s not an ongoing emergency I needed to call ‘101’, but I haven’t done that yet.”
A spokesperson for Revolucion de Cuba said: “We were appalled to hear about this incident – the safety of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and we demand that everyone is treated fairly and with respect at all times.
“Following our immediate investigation into the incident, the individual concerned is no longer employed by our security firm, Professional Security, and will not be working at any of our venues in the future.”
Millionaire who makes ‘£7,000 in sleep’ has supercar vandalised while at meeting in Manchester
He was in a business meeting when his £100k Audi was vandalised.
A crypto millionaire, who claims he makes thousands of pounds in his sleep, says he is ‘gutted’ after finding his £100,000 car vandalised with insults.
Waseem Khan, 20, says he made his fortune trading crypto currency, and used his earnings to buy a new Audi R8 V10 — which he purchased just three months ago.
The entrepreneur has garnered thousands of followers and views on TikTok, where he recently featured in a video on the infamous Wakey Wines account. Waseem parked his car in Leeds overnight and then came to Manchester for a business meeting.
Speaking to Leeds Live about his experience, he said: “I left town last night, around 11, 12ish. I got called for a business meeting, they said they were gonna pick me up and go to Manchester, so I left my car in the city centre.
“I didn’t think about where I had parked it, came home this afternoon, and I went to get my car and it has been fully vandalised, and I thought it is definitely someone that knows me or something.”
When he returned to Leeds the next day, Waseem found his three-month-old car vandalised with the word ‘die’, with graffiti also branding him a ‘show off’ and a ‘virgin’.
He went on to say: “It just shows, even if you are doing something good in life, there is a lot of hate. I don’t really have any enemies, I think a lot of people just can’t see someone young, do good you know? I have a supercar at 20, they can’t put up with it.”
While he was still ‘gutted’ when he saw the car, he insisted it’s not going to ‘phase him’ adding: “I thought I could take it off, I took it to the car wash and it was not coming off, that is when I started worrying that it needed a paint job or a new wrap sheet.
“It’s not going to phase me, they did it when I wasn’t there, if I was there I don’t think they would have had the urge to do anything like that.
“I would just like to say to them, what you have done is very low and pathetic and childish, you just cannot see someone young doing well, it is just pathetic, they could be following their own dreams instead of destroying someone else’s”.
Khan went on to claim the car was ‘not much of a loss’ as he can ‘make £6-7,000 in [his] sleep’, but he claimed the vandalism was an example of attracting ‘a lot of good people and a lot of bad people’ on social media.
He added: “I would like the person that did it, to come forward.”
Two mums booked £23 flights to Lanzarote for a day
‘What more do you need hun? Book the flight!’
Two mums have gone viral on TikTok after they spontaneously booked flights to Lanzarote for a day out and had the time of their lives.
The best friends, who have seven children between them, decided to book the 2,500 mile trip on a spur of the moment which cost just £23. They then took to social media to share their antics, as reported by the Manchester Evening News.
Posting to her TikTok account ‘@0nlymums’, one of the friends decided that a day in the Canary Islands was the best way to beat the ‘January blues’.
In the video clip, she said: “Well my weekend’s on the up because I’ve just booked a £23 flight to Spain for the day to blow off the January blues — me and the bestie — the packed lunch is made for the kids on Monday and I’ll be back at midnight!”
In another video, she shared photos of her living her best life on the island saying it was: “Better than a Sunday round Sainsbury’s!”
Then she urged others to be more spontaneous too, saying: “Ladies, if you only think you have a day to spare, make it count! You can absolutely do it.”
Describing the time of her life, she added: “We got up at 3.45am – we’ve had the best day in Lanzarote. We’ve been in the sea, had three sex on the beach cocktails, been to Zara – what more do you need hun? Book the flight!”
The video has gained over 600k views in 15 hours and the comment section is flooded with positive messages and love for the mums.