Beekeeper ‘devastated’ after arsonists kill over a million bees by setting hives alight
‘I am totally devastated. They have killed six colonies and all the equipment – and I don’t know why’
A beekeeper has spoken of his devastation after arsonists killed over a million of his bees by dousing the hives in petrol and setting them alight.
Mariusz Chudy, who has kept bees for over thirty years, was alerted to the fire at his farm in Nottinghamshire on Saturday evening. Upon arrival, however, he found that three of his hives had been ‘burnt to a crisp.’
Chudy, who uses the hives to sell honey-based products such as candle wax and bee bread through his company Honeydrops, told the BBC that he considered the bees to be ‘like family.’
He said: “This is my big passion because I have worked all my life with bees. It is very important – it gives pollination to farms.
“I do not understand these people. I am totally devastated. They have killed six colonies and all the equipment – and I don’t know why.”
He added that had not yet calculated how much money he had lost but estimated the value of each hive to be between £1,200 and £1,500. And, as well as his hives being set alight, his Nottinghamshire field had also been doused in petrol.
Outlining the dangers of setting fires on a farm, he added: “Setting a fire at a farm is very dangerous and could have long-term impacts. It is not just about me and the bees, but for other farmers as well. The air has now been contaminated and it would be really difficult to go past that.”
Nottinghamshire Police, who are currently investigating the incident, described the ‘malicious’ attack as a ‘deliberately cruel act’ which has devastated the beekeeper.
Inspector Rob Lawton, from Nottinghamshire Police, said: “This was a deliberate cruel act which has clearly left the owner devastated and has had an impact on his livelihood.
“This was wanton vandalism, a malicious attack which has resulted in the deaths of all these bees. I have personally spoken to the owner of the bees and I have assured them we will work tirelessly to find who has done this.”
The police continue to appeal for anyone with information on the attack to come forward.
Dad accidentally buys 60 pairs of reading glasses
‘He thought the packaging was a little excessive’
A dad accidentally bought 60 pairs of reading glasses after misreading an order.
The dad has gone viral on Twitter for his massive order of reading spectacles. He was left baffled as to why the parcel was so full when it arrived at his address on Sunday March 26th, leaving his son in stitches.
Tom Arnold, 61, from Perranporth in Cornwall, thought he’d only ordered one pack to share with his wife — not a whole shop’s worth. Radio and podcast host, Chris Arnold could not stop laughing as he witnessed his dad open the parcel with a bewildered look on his face.
The viral tweet read: “My Dad has accidentally bought 60 pairs of reading glasses off the internet after misreading the quantity of his order.”
Speaking about the mishap, Chris said: “I just found it hilarious, he said he thought the packaging was excessive, then he opened it up and the box was full.
“He seemed confused as to what had happened. We looked at the order and he had ordered 12 packs instead of one, as they were for him and my mum, plus spares. The order came to over £100 but he’s managed to get a refund!”
He described the incident as ‘very funny indeed’, saying it ‘cheered up’ him and his family. As the tweet went viral and accumulated thousands of likes, Specsavers jumped in on the banter as they tweeted: “Do we even need to say it?”
Chris joked in reply: “At this point guys, I don’t think you do. P.S. Are you interested in buying 59 pairs of reading glasses off my dad?”
They hilariously replied: “If you can’t shift them you might want to consider adding an extra 118 eyes to your dad’s face.”
Specsavers tweeted an update on the situation: “The glasses have been safely returned, but Chris’ dad deserves a bit of good luck. How about a free eye test and a brand-new pair of glasses for good measure?
“You really should’ve gone to Specsavers.”
Aldi is selling wearable sleeping bags for ultimate comfort
Suitable for festival season!
Aldi is now selling wearable sleeping bags for ultimate comfort — they even have arm and leg sections.
If you love to go to budget supermarket Aldi and have a wander over to the middle aisle, you’ll know you can find all sorts of handy and unusual things to buy.
Aldi shopper and TikTok user Paris de Jager sharedwith her followers how she picked up a wearable sleeping bag ‘onesie’, that even has leg and arm sections.
The social media user upload a video to her TikTok account @parisdejager showing her modelling the bright pink seasonal must have.
She wrote in a caption: “The sleeping bag one-z you never knew you needed until now.”
She ‘catwalked’ in her home as she showed off her incredible new bag suit by Adventuridge, looking ‘snug as a bug’.
Her video has racked up over 137k likes and many people were amazed at her incredible Aldi find.
Her followers flocked to comment and rave about the hot pink cosy number.
One said: “might just have to purchase for DofE.” Another added: “need for weekends.”
And a third joked: “Glastonbudget.” A fourth chimed in : “My reading outfit sorted.”
Aldi launched a similar wearable sleeping bag last year, and it weren’t long before the cosy suit sold out online.
You can purchase a wearable sleeping bag in time for festival season here.
Grandma, 85, from Greater Manchester chosen as face of new Adidas advert
Well done, Barbara!
A ‘fit as a fiddle’ charity runner, 85, from Greater Manchester has been chosen to be one of the faces of a new Adidas advert.
Barbara Thackray, a grandmother from Altrincham, runs 10k twice a week to keep fit. She has been chosen — alongside the likes of Liverpool footballer, Mo Salah, Qatari hurdler Mariam Farid and Egyptian runner Khadija Hegazy in the new TV and YouTube advert — as one of the faces of to feature in it.
The retired college lecturer took up running eight years ago, aged 77, to raise funds for St Ann’s Hospice in Heald Green, Stockport.
She has been raising money for the hospice since her sister died there in the 1990s.
She said she watched the new advert ‘on a little screen’ and it was ‘fine’, adding: “So long as they were prepared to make a significant donation to St Ann’s Hospice, I felt ok about it.”
Ms Thackray has raised over £20,000 for St Ann’s Hospice in just a few short years, having been a champion of the organisation for over 10 years — including during her sister’s illness and eventual passing.
She’s not planning on stopping running any time soon.