Andy Burnham has revealed that he would ‘one day’ consider running for Prime Minister as Labour leader.
The Greater Manchester mayor said in a recent interview that while his focus remains on his current job and that he supports the party’s current leader Sir Keir Starmer, he will not rule out standing in the future.
Speaking on Sky News on Tuesday morning, Burnham was asked if he would ever consider running for Labour leader and ultimately PM, to which he responded: “Perhaps one day, if that would be something people would support.
“But not now because we’ve got a leader of the Labour Party who is providing leadership during the cost-of-living crisis and I’m happy to give my full support to Keir.
“And I’ve got a job to do in Greater Manchester… and I’m making big changes to public transport, which hopefully will get people through this, and that’s where my full focus is right now.”
He added: “I’ve said I’ll serve a full second term as mayor of Greater Manchester, if at some point way beyond this point that was [still] a possibility, I would consider it.
“But I’m just focused on what I’m doing right now. We’re putting in place a whole range of support to help people through this crisis. That should be the sole focus of politicians right now.”
This comes after Burnham put his support behind Enough is Enough, a movement fighting against the rising cost of living.
The campaign has a series of demands, which include the energy price cap being cut to the pre-April level of £1,277 a year, a real-terms public sector pay rise, a reverse to the national insurance hike, and a £20-a-week universal credit increase.
The RMT Union leader Mick Lynch previously said of the campaign he is leading: “People are fed up with the way they are treated at work, we need to turn that mood into real organisation on behalf of the working class.
“We can’t be divided. We need everybody campaigning for a better deal.”
Ian Brown fans ‘gutted’ after singer plays sold-out gig with no band and ‘butchers own tunes’
’50 quid to see Ian brown off his head doing karaoke like he’s in Neptune’s bar’
Ian Brown fans have been taking to social media to express their disappointment after the Stone Roses singer performed a sold-out gig without a band.
Brown kick-started his first UK tour in a decade at the Leeds O2 Academy last night, with him due to perform at Manchester’s Victoria Warehouse this Friday (September 30th).
Despite the anticipation surrounding the tour, however, fans were left disappointed by Brown’s performance last night thanks to the absence of the rest of the band, with one concert-goer describing it as Brown ‘[doing] karaoke and butchering his own tunes.’
Alongside of a video showing Brown singing alone on an empty stage, fan Steven Latham wrote: “Gutted to see @ianbrown turn up to his £40 a ticket, sold out gig at Leeds tonight WITH NO BAND.
“I’m a life long fan but it was bad. #ianbrown does karaoke and butchers his own tunes. Most were too p****d to care but I had to get out after this one.”
After his video went viral, Steven followed up his tweet by writing: “Feel a bit bad about this now, I was just so disappointed.
“We all know Ian can’t sing but there’s always a band to bring it together. Some onstage chemistry, the drummer’s energy, the guitarist’s musicianship. I think if there’s no band you should tell people up front.”
Other fans were quick to express their anger over the gig too, with another concert-goer writing: “50 quid to see Ian brown off his head doing karaoke like he’s in Neptune’s bar.”
Another commented: “Wow, that’s horrific. A massive Roses fan but think he needs to retire gracefully now like.”
However, some fans were quick to defend the singer’s performance, with one person writing: “Top night in Leeds thanks to Ian Brown. Ignore the twitter w*****s, I was there and I saw a sold out show full of people on their feet enjoying every minute.”
A second commented: “Thank you Ian Brown for the best concert ever at Leeds 02 Academy. You were incredible.”
Ian Brown’s headline tour continues tonight in Glasgow, with following shows scheduled for Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool and London.
Furious man confronts fly-tippers dumping huge 7ft fridge in Salford
The fly-tippers were forced to carry the fridge back
A furious homeowner has shared the moment he caught two fly-tippers dumping a huge 7ft fridge next to his house in Salford.
David Holmes, forty-seven, came across two men attempting to leave an old fridge on his property near Edward Avenue over the weekend.
He filmed the altercation and shared the video onto TikTok, where it has since had over 1.4 million views.
In the explosive clip, David could be heard asking the men: “Why have you put that there next to my f*****g house?”
The fly-tippers, who reportedly run a local takeaway in the area, were evidently not expecting to be caught out and, in a second video, could be seen carrying the fridge back while quietly apologising.
David told the Manchester Evening News that he had initially called Salford Council to report the fly-tippers after catching them in the act from his house but, being unsatisfied with their response, ‘lost control’ and went out to confront them himself.
He explained: “We have had problems with fly-tippers on this location but we go out there and pick it up. But obviously when it’s a seven foot fridge you can’t pick that up and put it in a bin.
“I called the council and they said they were going to come and remove it but I said ‘no, they need charging and fining’.
“When I first seen it I felt rage because last night I saw them taking that fridge out the shop. Why would you dump something like that next to our house, they’re supposed to be my neighbour, they can’t go around dumping stuff.”
David said the council needs to do more to combat fly-tippers, adding: “I wanted them to come down to take some names and ID’s. Charging and fining is the only way this will stop.”
Councillor Barbara Bentham, lead member for environment and community safety, Salford City Council, said: “Salford City Council received a call from a resident about an encounter with fly-tippers.
“Enforcement officers visited the site. At this stage no offence has been committed but this case is not closed and officers are investigating further with the information provided.If residents do spot fly-tipping we would advise them not to confront offenders.
“Instead, they should record details such as personal descriptions along with the registration number and make and model of any vehicles used. Residents should stay safe while they are doing this and pass all the information they have gathered to the council.”
GMP seize purple Lamborghini for driving ‘antisocially’ around Salford Quays
In certain parts of Greater Manchester nuisance drivers are a real issue for residents.
One such area is Salford Quays, with people driving around late at night and keeping people up at ungodly hours.
This was the case earlier this week, when a purple Lamborghini was spotted by police causing a racket in the area.
According to GMP Salford, the brightly coloured sports car was seen ‘driving antisocially around Salford Quays, causing danger to others and making a racket during the night’.
As a result the Lamborghini Huracan was seized by officers.
GMP Salford wrote on their socials: “#WhileWeWereAway #GMPTransportUnit spotted this purple Lamborghini driving antisocially around Salford Quays, causing a danger to other road users and pedestrians, and making a racket during the night for residents.
“The Huracan was seized under s.59 Police Reform Act #NotSoSuperCar”.