A Spoons in Lancashire has seen a nasty outbreak of sickness and diarrhoea, leaving customers feeling worse for wear.
An outbreak of norovirus at The Richard Owen left people ‘shooting out of both ends’, according to reports from people who recently visited the establishment.
The pub, located in Lancaster city centre, is now closed while it undergoes a deep clean – let’s hope it’s a very, very deep clean after all that.
Local 21-year-old Laurence Johnson had visited the pub with mates before becoming very ill with the bug.
He told Lancashire Live: “So, I went to Spoons with two other mates on Sunday evening, we had a couple of drinks and a bit of food. Monday evening I threw up twice and had diarrhoea. One of the lads I went with has since been throwing up. Two other mates had been to Spoons over the weekend and were complaining of being very ill too.”
Another person, speaking to Lancashire Live anonymously, went even further: “I went at the weekend and ended up with it shooting out of both ends. It has not been a nice experience, so I’m not surprised this has turned out to be the case.”
Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon gave a statement regarding the incident: “A customer was ill in the pub. We believe it was norovirus and that spread to staff. The pub was closed while it was fully sanitised and staff have remained off work to recover. The pub is set to reopen on Friday.”
So if you’re feeling brave tomorrow night and you’re in the Lancaster area, get yourself down The Richard Owen…
Cancun offering free hotels, food and theme park entry to encourage tourism
This is amazing!!
Cancun is offering tourists hotel and meal freebies in efforts to entice people to the resort.
If you’ve been dreaming of the chance to get away when this all blows over how about some freebies in Cancun?! A new campaign which involves more than 200 firms in Cancun will launch on June 15th, which is based around the number two.
People can expect prizes such as two free nights for every two nights booked, or a free stay for two children when two adults book.
There will also be golf, theme park and hire car giveaways in the new campaign, designed to get the area back on its feet after the coronavirus crisis.
It’s not just Cancun either, tourist-orientated businesses in the resorts of Puerto Morelos and Tulum, and the Caribbean island of Isla Mujeres, eight miles off the coast of Cancun, are also expected to take part.
Roberto Cintron, President of the Cancun, Puerto Morelos and Isla Mujeres Hotels Association, said: “We are very happy and above all, committed because of the great participation in this campaign of the different state hotel associations as well as the tourist industry generally.
“It’s designed to reactivate holidays to our destinations after the crisis caused by Covid-19.”
Oliver Reinhart, CEO of Mexican firm Atelier de Hoteles, which has luxury all-inclusive hotels in Cancun and Playa Mujeres, told local media: “In the face of this atypical situation, we had to react to maintain our spectacular destinations in the forefront of tourists’ minds.”
He added: “This is why we proposed the implementation of a disruptive idea and creation of a campaign of great impact. We are convinced the formula to reactivate tourism is working together.
“The campaign is not about cheating the destination to a two for one. Cancun is worth what it is. If it’s now available at a cheaper price take advantage of it because it’s not going to last forever.”
And if you’re feeling really lucky there is also the chance to win holidays for 20 years for two within the campaign.
The offer is promoted under the hashtag #Come2MexicanCaribbean and will start in June 2020.
National Trust is reopening some parks and gardens from June 3rd
The National Trust has announced it will start to reopen some of its gardens and parks from June 3rd with new restrictions in place.
This morning’s announcement will see 29 sites across England and Northern Ireland open their doors, after being closed for 10 weeks.
The UK government currently allows day trips with no distance restrictions, but this is only in England and it’s not the same for Scotland and Wales.
While the parks and gardens will welcome guests from next month there will be limitations on the capacity number, meaning only a third of the normal number of visitors will be allowed and they must social distance.
As for facilities, shops and houses will remain closed until further notice. This also includes some cafes and toilets. Sites in Wales will remain closed.
A new online booking system has launched today that allows guests to pre-book their visits, which is now compulsory. You can book one ticket per person excluding children under 5 and select a 30 minute arrival time slot for the day.
If you are more than 10 minutes late you will lose your slot.
The length of time you are allowed to stay varies between locations so it’s worth double-checking.
The parks are also offering priority to key workers with the first and last slots of the day as a ‘thank you for all they have done’.
Full List of the National Trust sites reopening:
- Corfe Castle, Dorset
- Kingston Lacy, Dorset
- Killerton, Devon
- Lacock, Wiltshire
- Attingham Park, Shropshire
- Belton House, Lincolnshire
- Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire
- Calke Abbey, Derbyshire
- Hardwick, Derbyshire
London and the South East
- Cliveden, Buckinghamshire
- Hinton Ampner, Hampshire
- Mottisfont, Hampshire
- Polesden Lacey, Surrey
- Stowe, Buckinghamshire
- Scotney Castle, Kent
- Sissinghurst Castle Garden, Kent
- Standen House and Garden, West Sussex
- Sheffield Park and Garden, East Sussex
- The Vyne, Hampshire
- Waddesdon, Buckinghamshire
- Beningbrough Hall, North Yorkshire
- Gibside, Tyne & Wear
- Dunham Massey, Greater Manchester
- Lyme Park, Cheshire
- Quarry Bank, Cheshire
- Wallington, Northumberland
East of England
- Anglesey Abbey, Gardens and Lode Mill, Cambridgeshire
- Ickworth, Suffolk
- Sutton Hoo, Suffolk
- Wimpole Estate, Cambridgeshire
- Castle Coole, County Fermanagh
- Castle Ward, County Down
- Downhill Demesne and Hezlett House, County Londonderry
- Florence Court, County Fermanagh
- Mount Stewart, County Down
- Portstewart Strand, County Londonderry
- Rowallane Garden, County Down
- The Argory, County Armagh
Another anti-lockdown protest is happening in Manchester this weekend
The mass gathering is planned for Saturday.
Another anti-lockdown protest is planned to happen in Manchester this weekend.
Protestors are organising a mass gathering for Saturday, with a poster for the event saying they have lost ‘all faith in our government’.
The poster, which has been shared on social media, also references Dominic Cummings’ trip to Durham, saying the government has ‘one rule for them, and one rule for us.’
Mass gatherings are currently banned under the lockdown restrictions.
The event is planned to take place at a park in south Manchester, with the flier – which was shared with the Manchester Evening News – saying: “All faith has been lost in our government. It is quite clear that there is one rule for them and one rule for us.
“So why should we trust what they say about coronavirus? They have taken our freedom and it is time once again to show that the people still have power.
“The lockdown is wrong and we should not settle for a new normal. So come along and be part of this mass gathering.”
Greater Manchester Police are reportedly aware of the protest.
It comes after protestors took to Platt Fields Park on Saturday May 16th to protest the lockdown and voice their distrust of a potential vaccine.
Police said a ‘small number’ of people attended and it finished at around 3pm, with no arrests made.
The organisers behind the May 16th event, UK Freedom Movement, believe the coronavirus lockdown is ‘illegal’ and decided to create a series of mass gatherings across the UK.
The poster for the event read: “UK Mass Gathering Manchester. Join the UK freedom movement and be a part of the largest mass gathering since the lockdown.
“We say no to the coronavirus bill, no to mandatory vaccines, no the new normal and no to the unlawful lockdown. Bring a picnic, some music and let’s have some fun and say yes to life.”
At the time, Senior Councillor of Manchester City Council Pat Karney described the protests as ‘irresponsible’, saying that they are an ‘insult’ to NHS staff.
He added: “Those people who are saying it is a government conspiracy and 5G technology conspiracy should listen to the people that have lost their loved ones.
“The death rate in Manchester is still high, we can’t come out of lockdown. The council will work with police in how to cancel these events.”