Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

News

Two men arrested for online racist abuse of Marcus Rashford and other England players

Both men gave the same excuse for their alleged actions…

Published

on

Two men have been arrested after England footballers were subjected to vile racist abuse following their loss to Italy on Sunday night. 

Players Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka were all targeted on social media after missing their penalties in England’s defeat in the Euros 2020 final. The Marcus Rashford mural in Withington was also defaced in the hour after the loss, though it has since been adorned with flowers and messages of love and support from locals. 

After the sickening reaction to England’s defeat, there have been overwhelming calls for the racists targeting the football players to be held accountable for their actions – a petition urging the FA to dish out lifelong bans to the perpetrators has even surpassed a million signatures. 

And now, just days after the slurs took place, the police have announced that two men have been identified and arrested for the roles they allegedly played in the abuse, the Independent reports.

Police were investigating a racist tweet aimed at Rashford when they arrested – but later released – a fifty-year-old man, believed to be a youth football coach from Powick, near Worcester. West Mercia Police said the suspect was detained on suspicion of inciting racial hatred following reports of an inappropriate tweet posted in the hours after the game.

Local reports said the offensive tweet said that Rashford’s MBE ‘needs burning ya fake’ before adding he should return to his ‘own country’ – though the man allegedly claimed that his Twitter account had been hacked. 

Inspector Pete Nightingale, from Worcester police station, said in a statement: “We encourage people to make these reports and are pleased with the speed at which we have been able to deal with this incident.

“We continue to work with the local football community and have links with the local clubs to ensure that this behaviour is dealt with appropriately.”

Another man in his sixties was also arrested in Shropshire after racist comments were made on his Facebook page. He too, however, alleged that his account had been hacked.

According to reports the man was a councillor from Pontesbury Parish Council, with the council confirming it had reported the comments to police.

They added in a statement: “Pontesbury Parish Council is aware of comments made on Facebook by a former member of the parish council.

“These comments are made by an individual and do not represent the views of this council. We find these comments strongly offensive and will not tolerate racism nor discrimination of any kind.

“The council have reported this serious matter to the police and are currently assisting them with their enquiries.

“The council disassociates itself with these comments and can report that the chairman has today accepted this councillor’s resignation from Pontesbury Parish Council.”

Meanwhile, Greater Manchester Police continue to appeal for any information on the culprits responsible for vandalising the Marcus Rashford mural in Withington – anyone with information can contact the police on 0161 856 4973, quoting 453 of 12/07/2021.

You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

News

Sue Gray report slams ‘failure of leadership’ as full details of Downing Street parties revealed

JUST IN

Published

on

The long-awaited Sue Gray report has today detailed a ‘failure of leadership’ as the analysis of Downing Street parties is published in full.

The senior civil servant, who was tasked with investigating a number of alleged lockdown breaches in Number 10, specifically attacked ‘senior leaders’ in government in her thirty-seven page report.

The report, which also published a series of newly unearthed photos of the Prime Minister attending alleged parties, stated that many of the events investigated into ‘should not have been allowed to happen’.

Sue Gray wrote: “The senior leadership at the centre, both political and official, must bear responsibility for this culture.”

Gov.uk

In the conclusion of her analysis, she also criticised the ‘attitudes and behaviours’ displayed by the leaders during the Covid pandemic.

Gray’s conclusion reads: “Even allowing for the extraordinary pressures officials and advisers were under, factual findings of this report illustrate some attitudes and behaviours inconsistent with that guidance.”

Another significant finding was that an ‘excessive’ amount of alcohol was consumed at a number of events, including one held on June 18th – reportedly a gathering in the Cabinet Office to mark the departure of a Number 10 private secretary.

The government’s former ethics chief, Helen MacNamara, previously apologised for an ‘error of judgement’ after being fined by the Met Police for this event.

The report states: “The event lasted for a number of hours. There was excessive alcohol consumption by some individuals.

“One individual was sick. There was a minor altercation between two other individuals.”

Gray also stated that the treatment of security and cleaning staff during this time period was ‘unacceptable’, writing: “I was made aware of multiple examples of a lack of respect and poor treatment of security and cleaning staff. This was unacceptable.”

The report also published a series of text messages sent and received by Number 10 staff regarding the alleged lockdown events.

Gov.uk

And perhaps most strikingly, Martin Reynolds, a top aide to the PM, was seen texting another member of staff via Whatsapp to discuss getting bottles of alcohol to the party without being seen by the press.

A text message sent to Reynolds from a Number 10 official read: “Drinks this eve is a lovely idea… Just to flag that the press conference will probably be finishing around that time, so helpful if people can be mindful of that as speakers and cameras are leaving, not walking around waving bottles of wine etc”.

At a later date, Martin Reynolds also sent the following message to a Number 10 special adviser about a news story which is not specified. The report says the message refers to the May 20th event.

His message read: “Best of luck – a complete non story but better than them focusing on our drinks (which we seem to have got away with).”

With regards to any disciplinary action, Gray says this is ‘outside of the scope of this report and is for others to consider’, but she does ‘offer a reflection’.

She says: “While there is no excuse for some of the behaviour set out here it is important to acknowledge that those in the most junior positions attended gatherings at which their seniors were present, or indeed organised.

“I have no doubt that they will have taken the learning from this experience and, while this is not a matter for me, I hope this will be taken into account in considering any disciplinary action.”

You can read Sue Gray’s report in full here.

Continue Reading

News

Boy, 14, guilty of murdering 12-year-old Ava White after Snapchat video row

NEWS JUST IN

Published

on

The Trinity Catholic Primary School

A boy has been found guilty of stabbing Ava White to death in Liverpool.

The 14-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was found guilty of murdering Ava, 12, at court today.

The incident happened following a row over a Snapchat video, with the court hearing that a ‘chance encounter’ with the 14-year-old boy led to her tragic death.

Wikimedia Commons

Ava was stabbed in the neck at Liverpool’s Christmas lights switch-on last November, after asking a group of boys to stop filming her and friends, Sky News reports.

A jury was told that the defendant then laughed and ran away following the attack, although the boy claimed he had acted in self-defence and denied murder.

However, he was found guilty after the two-week trial at Liverpool Crown Court.

Family members were left in tears in court after a 20-second clip showing the stabbing – which happened on November 25th – was played.

The boy, who was found to have a 7.5cm flick blade, previously pleaded guilty to possessing an offensive weapon.

Ava and several of her friends, who were all aged between 11 and 15, shared some alcohol together near the Royal Court Theatre in Liverpool city centre when the boy and his friends saw them and filmed a video for Snapchat.

Prosecutor Charlotte Newell QC said Ava asked them to stop filming before the boys started ‘jeering’ at her – she then ran towards them before the defendant ‘thrust a knife into the neck of this unarmed child’.

She told the court: “His reaction at the time was to smirk, to laugh and to run away, leaving Ava to die whilst he sought to distance himself from his actions.”

Ava’s last words were ‘don’t leave me’, as she lay dying on the ground.

The court heard that the boy ‘began a conscious cover-up’ after the incident, attempting to discard his knife, phone and coat.

When arrested he told a ‘series of lies’ about his movements at the time of the killing, the jury was told, saying he was playing Call of Duty at a mate’s house, before saying another boy had stabbed Ava.

While giving evidence, the 14-year-old claimed he was ‘scared’ Ava was going to ‘jump him’,  and that he was only trying to ‘frighten her away’ because he was ‘scared’ – telling court he thought Ava was a boy and might have had ‘a weapon’.

Continue Reading

News

Kurt Zouma charged with three offences over cat kicking videos

The footballer was filmed abusing his cat at the start of this year

Published

on

Kurt Zouma / Instagram

Kurt Zouma has been charged with three offences under the Animal Welfare Act after he was filmed kicking his pet cat.

The charges are in relation to the now-infamous videos that showed the West Ham footballer abusing the cat.

Kurt is accused of two counts of causing ‘unnecessary suffering’ to the cat by kicking it in the abdomen and slapping it in the head.

He is also charged with failing to protect the cat from ‘pain suffering, injury or disease’.

His brother and fellow footballer Yoan has also been charged for his involvement in the incident, which he filmed and posted onto Snapchat.

Yoan is accused of two counts of ‘aiding, abetting, counselling or procuring’ Kurt to commit the offence of causing unnecessary suffering to the cat.

The brothers are set to appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court tomorrow (May 24th) for a preliminary hearing following a joint investigation from the RSPCA and Essex Police.

After the video started circulating on social media in February, the RSPCA removed two cats from Kurt’s home and began liaising with Essex Police about the incident.

In a statement at the time of the video’s circulation, the RSPCA said: “The two cats are now in RSPCA care. Our priority is and has always been the wellbeing of these cats.

“They’ve been taken for a check-up at a vets and then will remain in our care while the investigation continues.

“We’re grateful to everyone who expressed their concern for these cats. We were dealing with this issue before the video went viral online and are leading the investigation.

“We continue to investigate so we cannot comment further at this time.”

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2022 Manchester's Finest Group