Two paramedics, who star in the reality show Inside the Ambulance, were stabbed while out on a 999 call helping a man.
Paramedic Michael Hipgrave screamed into his radio after he and his colleague, Deena Evans, were attacked on duty in Wolverhampton on Monday afternoon.
A witness reports hearing ‘a blood-curdling scream’ after the paramedics arrived to a 999 call at a home, where a man may have been suffering from a mental health crisis.
Both Hipgrave and Evans were stabbed in the ‘chest area’. Ms Evan’s father has said it seems she was ‘in the wrong place and the wrong time’.
A 52-year-old man was tasered by police and has been arrested on suspicion of wounding.
Both Evans and Hipgrave starred in the Christmas special episode of the series ‘Inside the Ambulance’ last year.
Mr Hipgrave has now been released from Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham where they were both being treated. Ms Evans remains in hospital but is in a stable condition, according to the Mirror.
Ms Evans father told the Sun: “They’ve said she’s stable and she’s going to be OK. From what we know it was just a completely random attack. It just seems like she was in the wrong place and the wrong time.”
Mr Hipgrave’s son Tom tweeted: “My dad was one of the paramedics stabbed in #Wolverhampton. Its awful you can’t be safe at work. Hope you get better dad.”
His daughter Jess wrote: “My Dad was one of the two paramedics stabbed today in Wolverhampton. He was only trying to do his job.
“We are so lucky that we still have our Dad here with us and will be eternally grateful for the crew that helped him and his colleague. Today could have been so much worse.”
A spokesperson for West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) said on Tuesday: “Two members of staff are continuing to recuperate after they were stabbed by a man they had gone to help yesterday.
“Paramedics Michael Hipgrave and Deena Evans were attending a 999 call on Stephens Close in Wolverhampton at about 12.20pm when the incident took place.
“Michael was released from Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, last night and is continuing his recovery at home.
“Deena remains at the same hospital where she is receiving on going treatment; she remains in a stable condition.”
Assistant Chief Ambulance Officer Nathan Hudson said: “Thankfully, both Michael and Deena are recovering well after yesterday’s ordeal.
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at the hospital for their assistance and for looking after my members of staff in such a professional and caring manner.”
Ms Evans father said his daughter loves being a paramedic and will likely be eager to get back on the frontline as soon as possible. He also praised the police officers who responded and offered his thoughts to the second paramedic.
Woolworths possibly returning to British highstreet next year
Please be true.
A Twitter account called ‘UKWoolworths’ claims the much-loved chain will be making a comeback to the high street next year.
The account posted on Twitter to explain that three new trial stores will be opened late next year. They wrote: “Here to save 2020! Woolworths is coming back to your high street, as a physical store!
“A couple of legal things to get sorted, but we’re full steam ahead at Woolworths HQ.
“We want to get this right, so we need your help. What do you want at your UK #YourWoolworths?”
They went onto explain that they want fans to tell them exactly what they want from their local Woolies to make sure they get the reopening right.
They added: “Throughout this week, we’ll have announcements and chances to win gift cards for Woolworths and gift cards for other retailers on your high street. Welcome back to Woolworths!”
In response, one person wrote: “Apart from pick ‘n’ mix and the top 40 singles, cheap but good quality homeware like saucepans and picture frames and doormats and pillows. And sewing thread and needles. And shoe polish. And seeds and compost and plant pots. Everything Just what it was before, that’s all.”
Another said “I want pick n mix and lots of gift items”.
Another person added: “It’s got to be kid friendly. Easy access, wide aisles and full of stuff kids love. Comics, books, stationary, pic ‘n’ mix etc. Don’t try and stock a little bit of everything… Decide your market and stick to just that.”
However, not everyone is convinced the news is really true. One person wrote ‘obviously a hoax’ and another said the news is a ‘twisted and cruel PRANK’.
Another wrote ‘it’s a scam’ and a third added ‘it’s fake news’.
Do you hope the news is true or not?!
Scooters are now available in Salford for public use
Let’s hope this goes better than the Mobikes…
Salford City Council and the University of Salford are said to be thrilled to be trialling the new project.
The Department for Transport has opened the doors for cities, including Salford, to trial new schemes for renting e-scooters.
Previously banned in the UK, the introduction of e-scooters is to discourage workers from using their cars in cities.
Lime, the company behind the e-scooter trial, is a US-based company that currently already operates in London, Milton Keynes, Europe and of course the USA.
With great success in other cities, we can’t wait to see the scooters take off in Salford.
Costing £1 to unlock then an additional 15p per minute whilst you’re out and about. Each scooter is also fitted with an alarm which will activate if someone tried to move it without unlocking.
It’s important you remember to obey traffic laws, to ride safely in the bike lane or street and to wear a helmet.
Will you be trialing the new scooters? Let us know!
Manchester United set to deliver 5,000 free meals for local kids over half-term
Manchester United have announced they will be delivering 5,000 free meals to children over half-term.
Food provided by charity FareShare will be processed and packaged into individual meals at Old Trafford by United staff this week.
It will then be shipped out to local Manchester United Foundation partner schools.
The six schools involved include Waterhead Academy, Dean Trust Rose Bridge, The East Manchester Academy, Manchester Enterprise Academy, Manchester Academy, Stretford High School. Other charities will also receive some of the meals as part of the scheme.
It comes as United Striker, Marcus Rashford, campaigned to extend free meal provision until Easter 2021. MP’s voted against the action last week but are now facing a lot of pressure to reverse their decision.
A statement from the club reads: “Since the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic, more and more families are dealing with food poverty,”
“The impact of the virus has exacerbated an existing problem and, with unemployment rising and the economic crisis biting hard, many are struggling with reduced income.
“As a result, many families and children simply do not have enough food and are going hungry. This initiative does not solve the issue locally, but will make a significant difference to the lives of hundreds of families across Greater Manchester.”
John Shiels, the chief executive of the Manchester United Foundation, added: “We’re incredibly proud and humbled to be working with FareShare over October half-term.
“This initiative will go a long way to ensuring that pupils from our partner schools and families using local food-banks have fresh meals to eat, during what we know is a difficult time for many.
“We’ve seen first-hand how children from socially challenged backgrounds can be even more vulnerable when they’re not in school, it’s therefore imperative to be present in their lives throughout the school holidays, showing that we care and the Foundation is always here to support.”