Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

News

Tesco customers urged to check bank accounts after thousands are charged double

The problem is nation-wide

Published

on

Lewis Clarke/Geograph & tesconews/Twitter

A technical error has left Tesco customers across the UK being charged twice.

Tens of thousands of Tesco customers are being told to check their bank statements after the supermarket revealed a ‘technical error’ has resulted in many shoppers being charged twice.

The glitch triggered a wave of overpayments on in-store purchases in the past week and the supermarket is now working to reverse the transactions. 

A spokesperson said the supermarket is aiming to refund all customers who have been charged twice within 24-hours. However, if you have been charged twice, the ‘pending’ amount could take up to five working days to show up on your account.

In most cases, the customers said they discovered the issue by chance when the card machine prompted the customer to ‘try again’. 

Tesco wrote on Twitter: “We’re aware of an issue with some payments not initially going through. Rest assured only one payment was taken and any reserved funds will drop off in the next couple of days. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.”

Tesco confirmed the problem is UK-wide and covers charges made in Express, Extra, Metro, fuel stations and superstores – but not every shop was impacted.

A Tesco spokesperson said: “Due to a technical error some customer card payments have been authorised more than once.

“We’re sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused, and we want to reassure affected customers that they will only pay for their purchases once and any duplicate transactions will be reversed.”

The issue has not yet been resolved, so keep an eye on your bank statements and hold onto any receipts from Tesco in case you need to make a claim.

You can also claim back any extra charges you incur such as overdraft fees as a result of the error.

All customers are being contacted directly by Tesco, however, this could take weeks so it might be worth raising the enquiry with your local store yourself.

If you are concerned you may have been charged twice, speak to an in-store customer service staff.

News

Sir David Amess MP has died after stabbing incident, police say

JUST IN…

Published

on

Sir David Amess / Twitter & Richard Townshend

A Conservative MP has died after being stabbed multiple times in his constituency.

Sir David Amess was attacked during an incident at his constituency surgery, Sky News reported earlier this afternoon.

According to police, he was treated by emergency services but died at the scene.

Sir David represents Southend West in Essex, and was reportedly attacked at the Belfairs Methodist Church in Leigh-on-Sea.

According to Sky News, a man walked into his constituency surgery and stabbed the MP multiple times.

He received treatment at the scene for his injuries, with emergency services at the scene.

The road surrounding the location has been closed off while the incident is dealt with. 

Police said in a statement: “A man has been arrested on suspicion murder after a man was stabbed in Leigh-on-Sea.

“We were called to an address in Eastwood Road North shortly after 12.05pm today (Friday 15 October).

“We attended and found a man injured.

“He was treated by emergency services but, sadly, died at the scene.

“A 25 year-old man was quickly arrested after officers arrived at the scene on suspicion of murder and a knife was recovered.

“He is currently in custody.

“We are not looking for anyone else in connection with this incident.”

Continue Reading

News

Conservative MP Sir David Amess stabbed multiple times in ‘major incident’

JUST IN…

Published

on

Richard Townshend

According to reports this afternoon, a Conservative MP has been stabbed multiple times in his constituency.

Sir David Amess was attacked during an incident at his constituency surgery, Sky News reports.

Sir David represents Southend West in Essex, and was reportedly attacked at the Belfairs Methodist Church in Leigh-on-Sea.

According to Sky News, a man walked into his constituency surgery and stabbed the MP multiple times.

The latest updates suggest he has been receiving treatment at the scene for his injuries, and police are reportedly at the scene.

The road surrounding the location has been closed off while the incident is dealt with.

Essex Police have confirmed a man has now been arrested. 

They wrote on Twitter: “A man’s been arrested following an incident in Leigh-on-Sea.

“We were called to reports of a stabbing in Eastwood Rd North shortly after 12.05pm.

“A man was arrested shortly after & we’re not looking for anyone else.

“We’ll bring you more info when we have it.”

Continue Reading

News

The Manchester Christmas Markets is moving to Piccadilly Gardens this year

Big changes for the Christmas Markets this year…

Published

on

Manchester City Council & David Dixon / Geograph

Manchester’s beloved Christmas Markets are making a grand return to the city this year, but its main hub will be found in a different location.

While the heart of the markets is usually centered around Albert Square, ongoing renovations to the Town Hall have forced them to move to Piccadilly Gardens, the council have confirmed today.

The area will be transformed into the ‘Winter Gardens’, with all the usual yuletide bars, market stalls and food huts.

Plans for the Winter Gardens also include a one-way system and separate entrances and exits, as well as a strict limit on visitors to limit the spread of Covid-19.

David Dixon / Geograph

They are also adding a fully accessible toilet to make the Winter Garden as inclusive as possible.

Councillor Pat Karney, Manchester’s Christmas spokesperson, said: “It’s wonderful to welcome back our world-famous Christmas Markets and the addition of the Winter Gardens for the very first time.

“Manchester has been the capital of Christmas for twenty-two years since the very first Christmas Market arrived in the UK in 1999 and we know it was a huge disappointment that we had to scale back our celebrations last year.

“We’re making up for lost time this year and I can’t wait to see the transformation in the city centre into the festive wonderland we know and love.”

@mcrchristmasmarkets / Instagram

Last year, in what would have been the markets’ twenty-first birthday, the festivities were cancelled as a result of the pandemic, much to the dismay of Mancunians all across the region.

At the time, Councillor Karney said that even the proposed smaller markets didn’t meet public health approval, adding that the council ‘could never take any risks’ with people’s wellbeing.

He said: “We’ve cancelled everything. It’s not met our commercial and public health tests, so the three markets in those locations have been cancelled, and won’t take place. It was a million miles from the traditional Christmas Markets, which obviously people would have been very anxious about.”

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2019 Proper Manchester