Last month, we reported that an elderly man had been kicked into the River Mersey by a group of laughing teenagers.
The youths responsible were quickly apprehended by police and now, one of the teenagers has issued a public apology for his actions.
The incident happened at the back of the Riverside Retail Park in Warrington on Sunday, April 25th, with the seventy-four-year-old victim Gordon Bradbury saying he had ‘just wanted to go fishing on a sunny day’.
However, as he stood facing the river, he was approached from behind by two teenagers, one of whom kicked him forcefully into the river as his friends filmed and laughed.
Gordon was thankfully rescued by two teenage girls, Chloe Woods and Ellie Hughes, who happened to be walking past the river when they heard someone shout for help.
Describing the incident, Chloe told ITV News: “We were walking past and we heard these people going, ‘help, there’s a man there’, so me and Ellie quickly saw him and just dropped our stuff and went and quickly helped him and pulled him out of the river.”
“He was in a bad state. He was hanging on to a branch, he had hold of my hand and he was saying ‘can you help me?”
“I asked him if he wanted any help but he said no for an ambulance so we just helped him out and cleaned him up and all the blood off his face.”
In the days following the attack, eighteen year old Benjamin Bridgeman and a fifteen year old boy – who cannot be named for legal reasons – were arrested and charged for the attack, Cheshire Police confirmed.
And today, Benjamin has publicly spoken for the first time.
The teen recorded a video apology after pleading guilty to assaulting the man. He was also approached coming out of Warrington Magistrates Court yesterday by ITV where he gave another apology.
He said: “Obviously I’m very sorry and that, you know, it wasn’t supposed to happen. I didn’t realise he was seventy-four years old.”
“Obviously everyone makes mistakes in life. Do you know what I mean? That’s the honest truth from the bottom of my heart.”
His mum also expressed her support for her son, saying: “For me, I want the elderly gentleman to get better because my son’s not a rogue.”
“It was something that he did, stupidly, at the minute and nobody wants the fella. What’s the word? Suffer. So for me, all I want is for that man to just get his life back because it shouldn’t have happened.”
The two teenagers are due back in court to be sentenced in June.
Leaked documents reveal which Covid restrictions may remain after July 19th
We might have to wear our face masks for a little bit longer…
Leaked documents are claiming that the current social distancing rules and restrictions will be staying in place after the revised ‘freedom day’ on July 19th.
The memo, obtained by Politico, listed a number of restrictions that the government plans to keep in place for the foreseeable future.
According to the leaked documents, face masks may have to remain mandatory in certain settings for the long term, employers and employees will be told to decide amongst themselves as to whether they want to return to the office or work from home.
As well as that, it says some form of border control and quarantine will be needed for a significant period of time to prevent new variants entering the country.
The memo also states that plastic screens – such as those currently used in hairdressers and restaurants – may actually spread Covid rather than prevent it.
Ministers are also considering bringing in new rules for businesses to keep workplaces better ventilated, the documents claim.
Cabinet office sources have since stressed that the document was one of several including multiple options – with nothing signed off by ministers yet or anywhere near being announced.
This comes just days after Prime Minister Boris Johnson pushed back the highly anticipated ‘freedom day’, June 21st, by just short of a month to July 19th.
Johnson said this was a result of the new Delta variant, which makes up for 90% of new cases across the country: “I think it is sensible to wait just a little longer.
“I am confident we won’t need more than four weeks – it’s unmistakably clear that the vaccines are working – but now is the time to ease off the accelerator.
“We have the chance to save many thousands of lives by vaccinating millions more people.”
Covid vaccine to be mandatory for care home workers
The Covid-19 vaccine is to become mandatory for all care home staff members across the country, new reports detailed last night.
It is believed that care staff will be given sixteen weeks to receive the jab or will face the possibilities of either being moved to a different posting or losing their jobs entirely.
The Guardian reported that the new plans are expected to be announced in the next couple of days.
It is expected that ministers will also be pushing ahead with compulsory vaccination for most of the 1.5 million people working in social care across the country, despite employer and staff organisations warning that it could result in workers quitting rather than getting vaccinated.
The reports also claim that the government is keen to make it mandatory for the 1.38 million people who are employed by the NHS in England to get vaccinated against Covid-19 – proposals that have already been criticised by groups representing doctors, nurses and other staff.
Workers who can prove they are medically exempt from receiving the vaccine will not be affected.
The government has been widely criticised for its lack of support of care homes at the start of the pandemic; residents were heavily affected by the outbreak of Covid-19 and significant numbers, including many people with dementia, died as a result.
An investigation by Amnesty International late last year found that a series of ‘shockingly irresponsible’ Government decisions put tens of thousands of older people’s lives at risk and led to multiple violations of care home residents’ human rights.
As a result, between March 2nd and June 12th this year, 28,186 ‘excess deaths’ were recorded in care homes across England, with over 18,500 care home residents confirmed to have died with Covid-19 during this period.
Budget supermarket cheaper than Aldi and Lidl ‘to open 300 stores in the UK’
Get your wallets ready, there’s a new bargain supermarket in town…
A new supermarket that could rival the likes of Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and Asda is set to open hundreds of UK stores, according to new reports.
Mere was founded as Svetofor in Siberia back in 2009, and has already opened four stores in Preston, Castleford, Mold and Caldicot.
However, according to The Grocer, a platform dedicated to supermarket and grocery news, its plans to expand are now well and truly underway – with a few Greater Manchester locations on the list of planned new stores.
And, to make the arrival of this new supermarket even more interesting, Mere’s head of UK buying, Pavels Antonovs, claims it would be thirty percent cheaper than other UK rivals.
He said: “We are the gap in the market. We don’t have any competitors. Our model is no service and no marketing.”
Existing Mere stores are said to include a walk-in chiller room and freezer, while items are typically sold directly from the pallets they’re delivered on.
The supermarket also apparently buys stock from suppliers on a ‘sale or return basis’, meaning it will return any unsold goods to the seller.
The planned locations which are currently listed are Stretford, Stockport, Devon, Neath, Banbury, Selby, Bradford, Middlesbrough, Grantham, Kettering, Plymouth, Beckenham, Gloucester, Northampton, Cardiff, Oswestry, Barnsley, Sheffield, Exeter, Southampton, south Scotland and Wales.