Study finds a third of young arena attack survivors lack professional support
‘the simple act of validating young people’s views can make a huge difference to their wellbeing’
A study has found that nearly a third of young arena attack survivors haven’t received any professional support.
Hundreds of young people were left physically and mentally injured as a result of the bombing in May 2017 — which killed 22 people.
They were out enjoying an evening at the Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena on the night of May 22nd, six years ago, when Salman Abedi detonated a suicide bomb as it was coming to an end.
An online survey by Lancaster University and National Emergencies Trust (NET), in August 2022, found that professional support for victims in the aftermath was limited.
The study, of 236 young people affected by the atrocity, found that 29% had not had any psychological help, despite most feeling damaged by the blast.
The vast majority of respondents said they needed support but 70% had no professional help within the first month, and nearly one in three had nothing in the first year that followed.
The study comes after the government is set to publish a draft ‘survivor’s charter’ in the next coming weeks which is said to guarantee key rights for survivors of terror attacks, and will include a timeline for mental health support for victims.
Three-quarters of the 236 young people involved in the report said they had been psychologically damaged by the blast, while nearly one in five had been injured or had friends or family members injured. About 4% had lost a relative or friend.
The study, called Bee the Difference, was led by the National Emergencies Trust and researchers at Lancaster University. It calls for public bodies to ensure early support is visible and the onus is not on victims to find it, and that specialised trauma help is available wherever they are based.
The report urges professionals to understand that recovery can take time – one in four of the young people surveyed are still receiving psychological support — and that victims should be able to choose the right help for themselves.
The research was led by Dr Cath Hill, who also survived the attack. She said the findings showed that the ‘simple act of validating young people’s views can make a huge difference to their wellbeing, which was something all those in positions of care ‘could be more mindful of should the worst happen again’.
She continued: “Equally, introducing the option of an official survivor status for children’s school or college records could prevent them from having to relive their trauma time and again.”
Mhairi Sharp, Chief Executive of the National Emergencies Trust, said the report exposed a ‘a glaring gap’ in the understanding of how disasters affected children and young people.
“We can raise awareness with our partners so that there is less onus on future survivors to seek out support [and] also offer funding to those who would like to set up peer support groups,” she said.
A Home Office representative said there was ‘practical and emotional support available to anyone impacted by terrorism, including a 24/7 support line, mental health assessments and referrals, and long-term peer support’.
They said the government had ‘worked to strengthen the support available to victims of terrorism, but we know there is still more to do’.
Adding: “The Home Office Victims of Terrorism Unit is currently conducting an internal review into the support package provided to victims of terrorism, to better address their needs following a terrorist attack.”
Jonnie Irwin admitted to hospital as he battles terminal cancer
The star shared his health update on Wednesday afternoon
A Place In The Sun presenter Jonnie Irwin has been inundated with support from his fans after he was admitted to hospital, as he battles terminal cancer.
Jonnie, 49, took to Instagram on Wednesday afternoon (May 24th) to share the health update with his 164,000 followers.
He wrote: “In hospital this week monitoring a changeover in my pain management regime. “Fingers crossed I’ll be out in time to make an appearance on Sunday for this weekend’s A Place In The Sun LIVE event at @olympialondon in Kensington.”
The dad-of-three was instantly inundated with messages from his concerned fans. One adoring fan wrote: “Hope that works for you Jonnie and brings some improvements.”
Another commented: “Really hope they manage to get your pain medication right for you.” And a third typed: “Sending you much love and wishes for a speedy recovery.”
Jonnie went public with his illness in November 2022, almost two and a half years after he was diagnosed with lung cancer, which has since spread to his brain.
Explaining why he kept his condition private for such a long time, Jonnie said he ‘needed money’ and so he had to keep working while undergoing treatment.
Jonnie’s hospital stay comes after he further opened up about his terminal cancer battle in a very frank and honest interview on AIG Life’s OneChat podcast.
The presenter, who has also worked on Escape to the Country and To Buy or Not to Buy, said he hopes part of his legacy will be teaching others to ‘learn from his mistake’.
He said on AIG Life’s OneChat podcast: “One of the reasons I came out and told people about my story…I want people to learn from my mistake.
“I didn’t take critical illness insurance out and therefore I had to keep working.
“Without work, I’ve got no means of paying the bills. And if I had taken the critical illness insurance out, that could’ve covered my outgoings and I probably could’ve told the world a lot sooner.”
Jonnie also spoke about the devastating impact his treatment has had on his personality, saying: “You lose your memory, you lose your patience. I have got a very short temper.
“It’s not made me a better person, that’s for sure.”
Greater Manchester shoppers slam Sainsbury’s rule that makes them ‘feel like thieves’
‘By treating me as a thief you have lost me as a decades-long customer’
Greater Manchester shoppers have slammed a new Sainsbury’s rule which they say makes them ‘feel like thieves’.
Customers at some Sainsbury’s stores in Greater Manchester have been left fuming over the new policy which requires them to scan receipts before they exit.
Some customers of the supermarket giant have said the introduction of the new receipt barriers is simply ‘making everyone’s life harder’ and have called it a ‘pointless waste of everyone’s money and time’.
Having to provide proof of purchase upon exit has been criticised by several angry shoppers venting their frustrations online and threatening to boycott the store.
But the barriers have since been introduced in more shops across the country, including stores in Fallowfield and Salford — following on from the introduction of cameras at the supermarket’s self-service stations in recent years.
If receipts are not scanned, barriers prevent customers from leaving until a store assistant is contacted.
On Twitter, one person wrote: “This feels absolutely insane to me: Sainsbury’s has introduced these barriers at the exits which you need to scan a receipt to open.
“If you don’t buy anything and there’s no one there to tailgate, you need to get security to come and let you out.”
While another tweeted: “@sainsburys I’ve just been locked in to self-checkout for not getting a receipt. By treating me as a thief you have lost me as a decades-long customer.
“Outrageous. Open more checkouts if you want to verify all purchases. You are greedy and hostile. Goodbye and good riddance.”
On Reddit, one user has posted a picture of a notice in one of the Sainsbury’s store, reading: “We’ve introduced new barriers as you leave this store.
“You’ll need to take your receipt and scan this on the barcode reader in front of the barriers.”
Another shopper said: “Pointless waste of money and time, just makes everyone’s life harder.” Some customers questioned the impact the scheme would have on the environment, with the need for receipts to be printed.
One person typed: “Almost every self-service checkout I’ve used for at least a year has let me opt-out of a receipt. Guess we’re not doing less-waste-paper anymore?” While someone else pointed out: “What happens if what you came for wasn’t in? Therefore had no receipt.”
Earlier this month, the chief inspector of constabulary told The Mirror police should use ‘discretion’ when deciding whether to prosecute desperate shoplifters amid rising poverty levels during the cost of living crisis, and soaring prices on supermarket shelves.
A Sainsbury’s spokesperson said the introduction of the barriers ‘is one of a range of security measures in a small number of stores’.
Elderly dog now unrecognisable after RSPCA shave off 2kg of severely matted fur
He looks completely different!
An elderly dog is now unrecognisable after the RSPCA had to shave off 2kg of severely matted fur from its coat.
The dog, described as ‘sweet and ‘gentle’ by rescuers was found on May 2nd, with a severely matted coat that was caked in faeces but is now completely unrecognisable after rescuers shaved off almost 2kg of ‘stinking’ fur.
Larry, thought to be 13-years-old, suffered months of neglect after he was abandoned in the Bradfield Road area of Crewe, says the RSPCA.
The poodle/Maltese-type pooch was in such a ‘shocking’ state that it was quite difficult to tell what breed he was.
His heavily matted fur was caked in faeces and urine and had formed thick, hardened chunks around his head, tail and feet, leaving his face almost completely covered — as reported by ITV News.
Larry, who was not microchipped, was transferred to the charity’s Greater Manchester Animal Hospital where vets sedated him before they shaved him.
He is now receiving ongoing care at the RSPCA’s Wirral & Chester branch animal home in Wallasey and has bonded with several canine companions.
Centre manager Kay Hawthorn, who is currently fostering Larry, said: “Under the huge matted clumps of fur, a sweet and gentle dog has emerged who’s been given a new lease of life.
“He was struggling to get around properly and it must have been so uncomfortable for him.
“Now he’s enjoying running around again – something he’s probably not been able to do for a long time — and given his advancing years, he’s surprisingly sprightly.”
The RSPCA is investigating Larry’s case and is appealing to anyone who recognises the dog to come forward.
RSPCA inspector Louise Showering said: “Larry was in an appalling condition, his coat looked like a pile of dirty old rags and it’s likely he’d been neglected for a prolonged period of time. We think he was probably abandoned, or deliberately left to stray.
“His condition would have been of concern to anyone who saw him, and we’re very thankful to the member of the public who so kindly stopped and made sure he got the help he desperately needed.”
Anyone who recognises Larry, who was found on May 2nd, is urged to call the RSPCA’s appeals line on 0300 123 8018 quoting reference 1065689.