Single shot of Covid-19 vaccine reduces chance of needing hospital treatment by more than 80%
Some good news
New analysis shows a single shot of the vaccine can reduce the chance of needing hospital treatment by more than 80%.
New Public Health data based on those over 80 who have received the first jab show that the effects kicked in three to four weeks after the first vaccination.
The findings reiterate those found by Scottish health authorities last week which were hailed ‘spectacular’. Scientists have stressed that two doses are needed for best protection.
On Monday, health secretary Matt Hancock told a Downing Street briefing that the latest vaccine results were ‘very strong’.
Hancock added: “They may also help to explain why the number of Covid admissions to intensive care units among people over 80 in the UK have dropped to single figures in the last couple of weeks.”
England’s deputy chief medical officer, Prof Jonathan Van-Tam also added that the data offered a glimpse of how the vaccine programme ‘is going to hopefully take us into a very different world in the next few month’.
He explained that it was ‘absolutely critical’ that second doses ‘are still part of the course of immunisation against Covid-19 and no less important’.
Prof Van-Tam stressed there was a ‘significant likelihood’ that a second dose of a vaccine would ‘mature your immune response, possibly make it broader and almost certainly make it longer than it would otherwise be in relation to a first dose only’.
The PHE data – that has not yet been peer reviewed – suggests that the Pfizer vaccine leads to an 83% reduction in deaths from Covid in those over 80.
It also reduces the risk of people over 70 developing any symptoms by around 60%, three weeks after the first dose.
Prof Van-Tam explained that the decision to give the AstraZeneca vaccine – which was rolled out a month after the Pfizer vaccine – to older people was ‘clearly vindicated’. It comes after some European nations refused to give it to over 65s as trials were mainly done on younger adults.
He added that other countries would be ‘very interested’ in the data coming out of the UK.
Dr Mary Ramsay, Public Health England’s head of immunisation, said: “While there remains much more data to follow, this is encouraging and we are increasingly confident that vaccines are making a real difference.”
More evidence is needed to know how the vaccines protects against the Brazil variant (E484) that has been identified in the UK.
The government plans to offer 32 million people (nearly half the population) the first dose of the vaccine by the middle of April.
Currently, 30.4% of the UK population has received the first dose and 1.2% have received the second dose according to the latest Gov.uk data.
Man who discovered James Bulger’s body dies in custody
He discovered the toddler’s body when he was just 14-years-old
The man who discovered the body of James Bulger has died in police custody.
James Riley, 44, discovered the toddler’s lifeless body when he was a teenager. He was with his brother Terrence Riley on a railway line in Liverpool in 1993 when they came across the horrific discovery —he was just 14 at the time, The Liverpool Echo reports.
Mr Riley was taken into custody at St Anne Street Police Station in Liverpool at around 9.45pm on March 14th 2023. He stayed the night in a cell but at around 5pm the next day, police staff found him lying on the floor needing medical attention.
They called for an emergency ambulance but when at the hospital, Mr Riley was confirmed dead. Mr Riley had a string of over 40 convictions for a range of offences.
His family say this was a result of trauma caused by his discovery of James’ body. Two-year-old James was abducted by two 10-year-old boys, Jon Venables and Robert Thompson, who tortured and murdered him in a crime that shook the UK.
In February 1993, grainy CCTV images showed James being led out of Bootle’s Strand Shopping Centre by the schoolboys. They led him to the disused Walton & Anfield railway station, near Walton Lane police station, where they committed the horrific act.
In May 2017, James Riley was sentenced to two years and four months behind bars after admitting a spate of commercial burglaries.
Sarah Holt, defending him in that case, said: “He has been a drug addict for a considerable period of time – all his adult life and in fact, most of his adolescence.
“His problems can be traced back to when he was 14, when he experienced a very traumatic event. It was an event I suggest that meant he is suffering from PTSD, though not diagnosed. He never sought counselling, he tells me.
“That led him at 14 to try crack cocaine and his problems really spiralled from thereon in.”
In 2021 Mr Riley was found dumped in a street wearing just his underwear and holding a knife after a gang sought money for a debt he owed.
Aberdeen Sheriff Court previously heard that what he encountered in 1993 left a lasting impact on his life. The court heard how Riley suffered with depression and post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of finding James’ body.
The Independent Office for Police Custody (IOPC) is now investigating Riley’s death. IOPC Regional Director Catherine Bates said: “This was a tragic incident in which a man has sadly died and our thoughts are with his family and loved ones.
“Merseyside Police referred this matter to us, and as he was in the custody of police at the time he became unwell, it is important there is a thorough and independent investigation.
“We will examine all relevant matters including the interaction officers had with the man on the street, and what happened after he arrived at the custody suite. We have made contact with his family to explain our role and will update them as our enquiries progress.”
Merseyside Police said previously officers are fully cooperating with the IOPC. A spokesperson for the force said: “We are aware that the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating the death of a 44-year-old man in police custody in Liverpool on Wednesday, March 15th.
“The force’s Professional Standards Department mandatorily referred the matter to the IOPC following the sad news that the man had passed away and we are fully cooperating with their investigation team. His next of kin have been informed and Merseyside Police would like to offer its condolences to the family for their loss.”
Police seize 17 dogs after six-year-old girl attacked while playing in the street
The young girl is now in a stable condition in hospital after the horrific attack
Police have seized 17 dogs after a six-year-old girl was mauled in a brutal attack while playing in the street, in Greater Manchester.
The young girl is now in a stable condition in hospital after the horrific attack on Sunday at an address on Ackers Lane, Carrington. Greater Manchester Police say three people arrested on suspicion of owning a dangerous dog have now been bailed.
The force said it was called to the address around 2.40pm and immediately seized four dogs. Four more adult dogs and nine puppies have since been taken away. Officers also said a van had been found in south Manchester as part of the investigation and is currently being examined.
A police spokesperson said: “Shortly before 2.40pm [on Sunday] police were called to a report of a child who had suffered injuries caused by dogs at an address on Ackers Lane, Carrington.
“The girl was taken to hospital and is in a stable condition. Four dogs were seized by officers and have been taken away by specialist partners. Three people have been arrested on suspicion of owning a dangerous dog.”
GMP has since referred itself to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) over the incident. Detective Inspector Matthew Dixon, of GMP’s Trafford district, said: “This is a fluid investigation and so far we have recovered 17 dogs and made three arrests, as well as a vehicle of interest.
“However, the investigation is very much ongoing and anyone with information should contact police quoting log 1612-26/03/23.”
The breed of dog has not yet been confirmed, however it has been reported that neighbours noticed a number of American Pit Bull Terriers in the area.
Man hid from police on rooftop after cannabis farm found at property
He stood on the ledge of a skylight to evade the authorities
A man was found to be hiding from police on the roof of a property after maintaining a cannabis farm inside.
Etmond Lika, 32, of no fixed abode, appeared via a video link at Liverpool Crown Court on Tuesday March 28th, after pleading guilty to one count of being concerned in the production of cannabis.
Christopher Hopkins, prosecuting, told the court that on February 24th this year, a locksmith was employed to change the front door lock at an address at Stanley Road, Kirkdale at approximately midday, when the discovery was made.
As reported by ITV’s Granada Reports, Mr Hopkins said: “He noticed what he thought was a cannabis installation at the property and called the police. He thought someone was inside.”
Later that afternoon, officers searched the large terraced house and found that across the six rooms inside was a whole cannabis growing installation of at least 200 plants — described as ‘plainly a sophisticated operation’.
The force found evidence that someone had been living there, such as food etc, and said there was ‘no doubt that was this defendant’. Lika attempted to evade police by climbing through a skylight and hiding on the roof of the property, but was eventually captured and arrested.
Mr Hopkins said: “Lika had been employed by somebody to manage or run this installation whether that was tending to the plants or whatever else was required.”
Lika was interviewed by police and initially denied being involved, but said he came to the UK via a boat across the channel, in September last year, in the hope of gaining better economic opportunities.
He said he paid 5,000 euros for that trip, but apart from those limited facts, Mr Hopkins said: “the Crown frankly knows nothing else about this defendant”.
He added: “Lika must have been motivated by some significant financial advantage and must have understood what was going on in the house.” Lika has no previous convictions in the UK, and a foreign antecedent record was requested but none was provided.
Olivia Beesley, defending, said her client was offered £100 a day to live at the property, and left Albania for economic reasons. She said: “He wants to work but he knows now that he should have done so through proper channels.
“He simply wishes to receive his sentence with grace and understands he must be punished for this kind of offending.” She said he requested an English Language course while in custody, and was homeless for a week prior to committing this offence.
Ms Beesley also detailed that Lika said he had no previous convictions in Albania. Judge Brian Cummings KC said: “There are lots of January 1st birthdays on this class of case.
“You entered this country illegally, little or nothing is known about you. I note what was said in the case summary by reference to your police interview, and I quote: ‘It was difficult to get an answer out of him, he continuously changed his account throughout the interview’.
“A question mark always raises in my mind when somebody has a January 1st birthday, it seems to be more often than is statistically probable in cases of this class.”
Lika was sentenced to two years and four months imprisonment, and forfeiture and destruction of the drugs and paraphernalia was ordered. A victim surcharge applies.