We’ve known for a while that a massive new Primark is coming to the Trafford Centre, but now we know what to expect inside.
The popular budget retailer has been busy finishing up its new store at Barton Square ready for its launch this spring.
It’ll be the 190th Primark store to open in the UK, creating more than 300 jobs in the process, and it looks set to be one of the biggest to boot.
The new branch will take up a whopping 64,800 square ft of retail space spread out over two floors, as part of the shopping centre’s £75 million redevelopment of the Barton Square area.
But what can we expect to find inside? Well, besides all the usual womenswear, menswear, kidswear, homeware and beauty, there’s going to be a few new additions.
Firstly, there’ll be a huge, modern Beauty Studio – similar to the one located in the Primark on Market Street – operated by RAWR Beauty, the Manchester Evening News reports.
The studio will do head-to-toe treatments, including manicures, pedicures, lash extensions and brow treatments, with prices starting at just £3.50 – you can book all treatments online to make things even easier.
The Trafford Centre branch will also feature a brand new Primark Custom Lab, which lets shoppers personalise items like tote bags and t-shirts from just £3.
Primark’s director of new business development, Tim Kelly, said: “We are hugely excited to be launching some amazing experiences in our new Manchester store. We are changing the perception of the shopping experience with the introduction of these services and creating an innovative retail environment for our customers.”
There’ll also be a new Primark Cafe on site, offering a range of coffee, soft drinks and hot and cold snacks, as well as vegan rolls, pita pizzas and sandwiches.
In some even better news, the cafe will put sustainability at the heart of it, with no plastic straws or single use plastic bottles available – there’ll also use compostable takeaway cups and customers get a 10p discount on coffee when you bring your own reusable cup.
The official opening date is Friday March 20th – so get that in your diary – and in more good news you’ll soon be able to get the tram out to the new store, as the brand new Metrolink line out to the Trafford Centre is opening a lot earlier than expected.
The Trafford Park Metrolink tram line was completed in November last year, with the last 15 metres of track being laid and the final concrete pour bringing construction on the project to an end.
While TfGM had predicted trams to be running by late 2020, they will in fact be fully open to passengers from April this year, a whole seven months before the project was initially scheduled for completion.
Teen stops young girl being taken by stranger claiming to be ‘dad’s friend’ as she walked home from school
Emma’s quick thinking saved the school girl from being taken by a stranger
A teenage girl has been praised for her quick thinking as she prevented a child being taken from a stranger.
Fifteen year old Emma Carlile was walking home from school through Wallasey Village in Wirral, Merseyside, when she noticed a man approaching a school girl and telling her that he was her ‘dad’s mate.’
Emma noticed that the girl, who is believed to be around eleven years old, looked alarmed, so decided to intervene.
Emma’s dad, Rik, told the Liverpool Echo: “She said she was walking along and she saw a ‘creepy looking man’ approach a young girl and put his arm around her, which she thought looked odd.
“She noticed when the man approached her she looked a bit startled and then she heard the man say, ‘I’m your dad’s friend, don’t you remember me? I’ve been to your house before’.”
Rik continued: “The girl was saying ‘no, I don’t remember’ but he kept going on saying, ‘I’m your dad’s friend, I’ve met you before.’ At one point, the girl tried to get her phone out and the man said, ‘no you don’t need to ring anyone, you know who I am, I’m your dad’s mate.’”
Emma followed them around a corner and, as they approached a crossing, shouted the first name that came into her head.
She said: “Hey Bethany! Dad will be home tonight from police training.”
The girl apparently looked at her and looked startled but relieved at the same time. As soon as Emma spoke, the man quickly walked away down towards Wallasey Village train station.
Rik said that Emma walked with the girl until she was home safely and informed her parents about what had just happened.
Rik shared his daughter’s encounter on Facebook to warn people with children walking home alone from school. He wrote: “WARNING! My 15 year old daughter was walking home from Weatherhead today through Wallasey village and witnessed an older man walk up to a girl with a Harry Potter backpack and a green coat.
“The man put his arm around her claiming he was her “dads friend,” My daughter recognised that the girl looked alarmed and didn’t know the man and followed them from by the co-op to the crossing by the petrol station.
“Please make your children aware if they walk home alone.”
Emma described the man as being around 6ft tall with short grey hair and stubble. He was of large build wearing a green t-shirt and black trousers.
Leaked documents reveal which Covid restrictions may remain after July 19th
We might have to wear our face masks for a little bit longer…
Leaked documents are claiming that the current social distancing rules and restrictions will be staying in place after the revised ‘freedom day’ on July 19th.
The memo, obtained by Politico, listed a number of restrictions that the government plans to keep in place for the foreseeable future.
According to the leaked documents, face masks may have to remain mandatory in certain settings for the long term, employers and employees will be told to decide amongst themselves as to whether they want to return to the office or work from home.
As well as that, it says some form of border control and quarantine will be needed for a significant period of time to prevent new variants entering the country.
The memo also states that plastic screens – such as those currently used in hairdressers and restaurants – may actually spread Covid rather than prevent it.
Ministers are also considering bringing in new rules for businesses to keep workplaces better ventilated, the documents claim.
Cabinet office sources have since stressed that the document was one of several including multiple options – with nothing signed off by ministers yet or anywhere near being announced.
This comes just days after Prime Minister Boris Johnson pushed back the highly anticipated ‘freedom day’, June 21st, by just short of a month to July 19th.
Johnson said this was a result of the new Delta variant, which makes up for 90% of new cases across the country: “I think it is sensible to wait just a little longer.
“I am confident we won’t need more than four weeks – it’s unmistakably clear that the vaccines are working – but now is the time to ease off the accelerator.
“We have the chance to save many thousands of lives by vaccinating millions more people.”
Covid vaccine to be mandatory for care home workers
The Covid-19 vaccine is to become mandatory for all care home staff members across the country, new reports detailed last night.
It is believed that care staff will be given sixteen weeks to receive the jab or will face the possibilities of either being moved to a different posting or losing their jobs entirely.
The Guardian reported that the new plans are expected to be announced in the next couple of days.
It is expected that ministers will also be pushing ahead with compulsory vaccination for most of the 1.5 million people working in social care across the country, despite employer and staff organisations warning that it could result in workers quitting rather than getting vaccinated.
The reports also claim that the government is keen to make it mandatory for the 1.38 million people who are employed by the NHS in England to get vaccinated against Covid-19 – proposals that have already been criticised by groups representing doctors, nurses and other staff.
Workers who can prove they are medically exempt from receiving the vaccine will not be affected.
The government has been widely criticised for its lack of support of care homes at the start of the pandemic; residents were heavily affected by the outbreak of Covid-19 and significant numbers, including many people with dementia, died as a result.
An investigation by Amnesty International late last year found that a series of ‘shockingly irresponsible’ Government decisions put tens of thousands of older people’s lives at risk and led to multiple violations of care home residents’ human rights.
As a result, between March 2nd and June 12th this year, 28,186 ‘excess deaths’ were recorded in care homes across England, with over 18,500 care home residents confirmed to have died with Covid-19 during this period.