Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

News

McVitie’s set to cut 160 jobs at its historic Stockport factory

Restructuring ‘could potentially result in the loss of 159 out of 470 roles’

Avatar photo

Published

on

Gerald England / Geograph

More than 150 jobs are at risk at the McVitie’s factory in Stockport, it has been announced today, Tuesday March 22nd.

In total 159 jobs are at risk at the historic factory, with union bosses describing the news as ‘devastating’, adding that this would essentially be a ‘one-third cut in staff’.

The company behind McVitie’s, Pladis, said restructuring ‘could potentially result in the loss of 159 out of 470 roles’, as per the Manchester Evening News.

Pladis said: “The proposal could potentially result in the loss of 159 out of 470 roles.

“The proposal seeks to address growing external headwinds such as rising inflation, increasing energy costs and supply chain disruption pushing up production costs, at a time when the business faces a change in consumer demand.

“Manchester remains a critical part of pladis’ operations in the UK, producing well-known branded products, however the factory’s operating model is no longer sustainable and must be addressed as part of the proposed changes.”

David Dixon / Geograph

The company confirmed that a ‘full and meaningful consultation with employee representatives’ is planned, while the union Usdaw said consultation talks were set to happen.

Usdaw’s National Officer, Dave Gill, confirmed that talks between the union and Pladis would go ahead, adding: “This is devastating news for our members, many of whom have given long service to the company and all worked throughout the pandemic when food manufacturing was identified as an essential service.

“We will now enter into meaningful consultation talks with the company, where we will interrogate their business case for these proposed job losses. Our priorities are to keep as many staff employed within the business as possible and avoid compulsory redundancies.

“In the meantime we are providing our members with the support, advice and representation they need at this difficult time.”

Nina Sparks, the Vice President of Supply Chain Pladis UK & Ireland, said: “We understand this news will be very difficult for those in Manchester.

“Our Manchester factory remains an important part of our UK business and our priority now is to provide our colleagues with clear guidance and the right support as we start the proposed consultation process.

“Pladis is the proud custodian of some of the world’s best-loved snacking brands and we believe strongly in their enduring consumer appeal. But, like many other businesses, we are grappling with new and growing external pressures.

“We must, therefore, review and consider appropriate steps to safeguard the future of our whole business.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Mount Snowdon has officially changed its name following a petition

The petition got 5,000 signatures

Avatar photo

Published

on

Raintheone / Wikimedia & George Hodan / Public Domain Pictures

Mount Snowdon has officially had a name change, following a petition which garnered 5,000 signatures.

A county councillor from Gwynedd brought forward a motion which encouraged the local authority to drop the English name of both Snowdon and Snowdonia, leading to the petition.

Councillor John Pughe Roberts said the reason for implementing the motion was ‘all down to respect’ for both Wales and the Welsh language.

Caff55 / PxHere

The petition urged the National Park to formally use the Welsh names Eryri for Snowdonia and Yr Wyddfa for Snowdon.

And now, the Snowdonia National Park Authority will use both Welsh names, rather than the English versions.

Officials at the National Park voted in favour of the move earlier this month, saying it was ‘a mark of respect for our cultural heritage’.

Naomi Jones, head of cultural heritage at the Snowdonia National Park Authority, said: ”Many public bodies across Wales have moved to use both the Welsh and English names, or the Welsh name only, when referring to Yr Wyddfa and Eryri, as have many of the mainstream English-language press and filming companies.

“This is very encouraging, and gives us confidence that this change in the Authority’s approach will be accepted for the benefit of the Welsh language and as a mark of respect to our cultural heritage.

“We have historic names in both languages, but we are eager to consider the message we wish to convey about place names, and the role they have to play in our current cultural heritage by promoting the Welsh language as one of the National Park’s special qualities.

“By referring to our most renowned landmarks by their Welsh names we give people from all over the world the opportunity to engage with the Welsh language and its rich culture.”

Raintheone / Wikimedia

However, the National Park will still legally have to use both the Welsh and English names in any official documentation.

Snowdon is one of the most well-known landmarks in the UK, and stands at 3,560ft – making it the highest mountain in Wales.

Continue Reading

News

Man arrested following three attempted kidnappings of schoolgirls

A 33-year-old was arrested.

Avatar photo

Published

on

Greater Manchester Police

Police have arrested a man following their release of CCTV footage featuring a car they believe was used in three attempted kidnappings around Salford.

A man driving the vehicle reportedly attempted to force a 15-year-old girl into the car at a bus stop in Monton on November 21st.

Detectives also think the same man ‘possibly’ tried to abduct another girl earlier that same day, as well as a third teenager five days previous.

Now police have confirmed that a 33-year-old man was arrested by officers today, Monday November 28th, on suspicion of three counts of attempted kidnap.

According to Greater Manchester Police, the victims have been left ‘extremely shaken up’.

Officers identified the vehicle in the footage as a black Vauxhall Astra with a silver cover on the driver’s side wing mirror.

Greater Manchester Police

Detective Inspector Chris Horsfield, of GMP’s Salford CID, said: “Although we have made this arrest, we are still very much looking to speak to anyone who may have information or dashcam footage, which could help us to establish the circumstances.

“We understand that the local community will be concerned but we are doing all we can to solve this investigation.

“I’d urge anyone who knows anything at all to please get in touch as soon as possible. In particular we are interested in the movements of a Black Vauxhall Astra 08 plate with a silver driver’s wing mirror cover; the passenger side is black.”

Police are still keen to speak to anyone with dashcam footage from the following times:

  • Liverpool Street, Salford, between Fitzwarren Street and Albion Way on November 16th, between 7:45-8:20pm
  • Mossfield Road and Ackworth Road, Swinton, on November 21st, between 8-9am
  • Rocky Lane, Monton Green and Monton High Street on November 21st, between 6-7pm

Continue Reading

News

Police believe this car was used in three attempted kidnappings of schoolgirls

Do you recognise the vehicle?

Avatar photo

Published

on

Greater Manchester Police

Police have released CCTV footage of a car they believe was used in three attempted kidnappings around Salford.

A man driving the vehicle attempted to force a 15-year-old girl into the car at a bus stop in Monton on November 21st.

Detectives also think the same man tried to abduct another girl earlier that same day, as well as a third teenager five days previous.

According to Greater Manchester Police, the victims have been left ‘extremely shaken up’.

Detective Inspector Chris Horsfield said: “It’s very important that we get this man identified and off the streets as soon as possible.”

Police have identified the vehicle in the footage as a black Vauxhall Astra with a silver cover on the driver’s side wing mirror.

Greater Manchester Police

Anyone with dashcam footage from the following times, officers are keen to speak to you:

  • Liverpool Street, Salford, between Fitzwarren Street and Albion Way on November 16th, between 7:45-8:20pm

  • Mossfield Road and Ackworth Road, Swinton, on November 21st, between 8-9am

  • Rocky Lane, Monton Green and Monton High Street on November 21st, between 6-7pm

 

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2022 Manchester's Finest Group