The vice-chancellor of Manchester University is being asked to resign following the alleged racial profiling of a student on Friday evening.
Zac Adan, a 19-year-old first-year student, was left ‘traumatised’ after he was accused of ‘looking like a drug dealer’ by university security officers who held him up against a wall, demanding to see identification.
Dozens of students took part in an anti-racism demonstration at the University’s Fallowfield campus on Monday night to protest the incident.
The University has launched an investigation into the incident and has suspended the security officers involved.
However, the incident has shed a light on an institution that is battling a series of controversies, prompting daily protests from students.
One such controversy is the erection of metal fencing around the Fallowfield campus overnight, which was later torn down by students who felt like they ‘woke up in prison’.
The chair of Manchester Stand Up to Racism, Nahella Ashraf, said the only reason Adan was stopped by security officers was because he was black. She added that she was aware of other students who have experienced similar situations while walking around halls and urged them to also come forward.
Ashraf said: “It sends a clear message that this university and the people employed by the university – the security firm – see black people as the other, that they don’t belong on campus. That is just unacceptable.”
Ashraf has also called for the vice-chancellor, Nancy Rothwell to resign.
She said: “I think I speak for lots of people, not just across this city but the parents of the students stuck in this campus, to say that we think she should step down.”
Adding: “She is not fit to do the job she is doing.”
Manchester University released a statement on Sunday, following the emergence of video footage of the event, that said: “We are deeply concerned by these images. We have spoken to the student concerned, launched a full investigation and have suspended the security officers (without prejudice) pending the results of this investigation.”
On Tuesday, the university outlined a new pledge on accommodation that included a two-week (20%) rent reduction of students in the first semester after long protests.
Since last week, a group of students have been occupying Owens Park tower accusing the university of putting ‘profits before students’.
It is part of a wider protest that is not only asking for a 40% rent reduction after the students were asked to stay home due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but also against the university’s response to the pandemic, including lack of mental health support.
New government proposals could see cat owners fined £500
Here’s everything you need to know…
Cat owners could be slapped with hefty fines under a subtle new rule change proposed by the government this week.
The new plans propose that all cat owners must ensure their pet is microchipped before they are twenty weeks old – there, the cat’s details will be stored and kept up-to-date in a database.
If a cat owner is found to not have microchipped their cat, however, they will have twenty-one days to get their pet microchipped or risk facing a fine of up to £500.
Government figures show that out of the 10.8 million pet cats in the UK, as many as 2.8 million are still not microchipped. And, according to Cats Protection, eight out of ten stray cats coming into their centres are not microchipped.
The charity added that the procedure only costs between £20 and £30.
Animal Welfare Minister Lord Goldsmith said: “Cats are much-loved parts of our families and making sure that they’re microchipped is the best possible way of making sure that you are reunited with them if they are ever lost or stolen.
“These new rules will help protect millions of cats across the country and will be brought in alongside a range of other protections we are introducing under our Action Plan for Animal Welfare.”
Chill Factore forced to close after section of roof damaged by Storm Barra
Major damage to the roof has forced the popular attraction to close
The Chill Factore has been forced to close after a section of its roof was damaged from severe winds brought on by Storm Barra.
All activities at the Beyond building, which houses an indoor ski slope, have been cancelled for the rest of the day, with car parks surrounding the Trafford attraction closing ‘with immediate effect’.
In a statement on its website, Chill Factore said: “The Beyond building has sustained some damage due to the severe winds.
“As a result we’ve made the difficult decision to close our building and surrounding car parks with immediate effect to protect the health and safety of our guests and team.
“All activities for the remainder of the day have been cancelled and we are in the process of contacting guests with bookings for today to rearrange their activities.
“We are awaiting contractors to come and assess the damage and we will provide more information as soon as possible through our website & social media accounts.”
This comes after the Met Office issued a yellow weather warning in various areas across Greater Manchester ahead of the arrival of Storm Barra.
The second named storm of the season hit the region today, bringing with it plummeting temperatures plummeting and heavy rainfall.
Forecasters say travel disruption is ‘likely’, especially over higher routes, as is delays to rail and air travel. There is also the ‘slight chance some rural communities may become cut off’.
The Met Office said: “A deep area of low pressure moving in across the UK from the Atlantic is likely to bring high winds to many parts of the UK.
“Strong winds arriving into the west through the morning, spreading inland and reaching eastern areas through the afternoon and early evening. Gusts of 45-50 mph are expected widely, with 60-70 mph in exposed coastal locations.
People who kill children will face mandatory life sentences under new Arthur’s Law
The law has been named after six-year-old Arthur Labinjo-Hughes, who was murdered by his stepmother last year
The Prime Minister has backed a newly proposed law that will ensure child murderers will never leave prison.
Following the horrifying death of six-year-old Arthur Labinjo-Hughes, Boris Johnson has announced that his government will be amending the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill to make ‘whole-life orders the starting point for such abhorrent crimes’.
Johnson said in a statement: “Anyone who plans then carries out the murder of a child should never be released from prison. So we’re toughening the law to make whole-life orders the starting point for such abhorrent crimes.
“The Attorney General is also urgently considering the facts of this case and the sentence handed down, but this is a Government that will always legislate for the toughest possible sentences for such repugnant crimes.”
Arthur’s stepmother Emma Tustin was jailed last week for at least twenty-nine years for his murder, while his father Thomas Hughes was sentenced to twenty-one years for manslaughter.
However, the attorney general announced over the weekend that the sentences are to be reviewed to ‘determine whether they were too low’.
According to The Guardian, the AGO has twenty-eight days from the date of sentence to review a case, assess whether it falls under the Unduly Lenient Sentence (ULS) scheme and make a decision as to whether to refer a sentence to the court of appeal.
Arthur died in Solihull, Midlands on June 16th 2020, as a result of a serious head injury inflicted by Tustin. His body was also covered in 130 bruises.
It was later discovered that the six-year-old had been starved, beaten and poisoned with salt in the weeks leading to his death.
Harrowing footage recently released by West Midlands Police show a weak and emancipated Arthur struggling to lift his duvet from the living room floor, where he had been forced to sleep.
Social worker and member of the House of Lords Herbert Laming said the reduction in funding for social care in the last ten years meant abused and neglected children like Arthur were being missed by the authorities.