Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

News

Manchester ruled out of hosting Eurovision 2023

BREAKING: The decision now lays between two northern cities

Avatar photo

Published

on

@mrwilliamo / Unsplash

Manchester has been ruled out of hosting the Eurovision song contest for 2023 as the shortlist for cities is cut from seven to two.

The BBC has announced today that Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle and Sheffield have been axed from the shortlist of wannabe hosts for the competition.

This leaves Liverpool and Glasgow as the last standing contenders.

The BBC said the two remaining cities, which both have riverside arena venues, had ‘the strongest overall offer’.

A final decision will be made ‘within weeks’, the broadcaster added.

If Liverpool is selected as the host, the competition would be staged at the 11,000-capacity dockside M&S Bank Arena, which is next to a conference centre and near the city centre’s hotels and rail links.

In Glasgow, alternatively, the 14,300-capacity OVO Hydro venue would play home to Eurovision.

Liverpool and Glasgow will be scored on a set of criteria, the BBC said, including:

  • “Having a suitable venue and sufficient space to deliver the requirements of the Song Contest.
  • “The commitment that can be made by a city or region to hosting the event, including the financial contribution.
  • “The strength of the cultural offer which includes off screen local and regional activity as well as showcasing Ukrainian culture and music.
  • “And alignment with the BBC’s strategic priorities as a public service broadcaster, such as providing value to all audiences and supporting the creative economy in the UK.”

It was announced last month that the UK would host the annual song contest for the first time in twenty-four years after organisers decided it could not go ahead in Ukraine – who won this year’s competition – due to the ongoing conflict with Russia.

The UK came in second place thanks to Sam Ryder’s smash-hit ‘Spaceman’, prompting the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) to open talks with the BBC.

A statement from BBC director general Tim Davie read: “It is a matter of great regret that our colleagues and friends in Ukraine are not able to host the 2023 Eurovision Song Contest.

“Being asked to host the largest and most complex music competition in the world is a great privilege. The BBC is committed to making the event a true reflection of Ukrainian culture alongside showcasing the diversity of British music and creativity.”

News

Man arrested following three attempted kidnappings of schoolgirls

A 33-year-old was arrested.

Avatar photo

Published

on

Greater Manchester Police

Police have arrested a man following their release of CCTV footage featuring a car they believe was used in three attempted kidnappings around Salford.

A man driving the vehicle reportedly attempted to force a 15-year-old girl into the car at a bus stop in Monton on November 21st.

Detectives also think the same man ‘possibly’ tried to abduct another girl earlier that same day, as well as a third teenager five days previous.

Now police have confirmed that a 33-year-old man was arrested by officers today, Monday November 28th, on suspicion of three counts of attempted kidnap.

According to Greater Manchester Police, the victims have been left ‘extremely shaken up’.

Officers identified the vehicle in the footage as a black Vauxhall Astra with a silver cover on the driver’s side wing mirror.

Greater Manchester Police

Detective Inspector Chris Horsfield, of GMP’s Salford CID, said: “Although we have made this arrest, we are still very much looking to speak to anyone who may have information or dashcam footage, which could help us to establish the circumstances.

“We understand that the local community will be concerned but we are doing all we can to solve this investigation.

“I’d urge anyone who knows anything at all to please get in touch as soon as possible. In particular we are interested in the movements of a Black Vauxhall Astra 08 plate with a silver driver’s wing mirror cover; the passenger side is black.”

Police are still keen to speak to anyone with dashcam footage from the following times:

  • Liverpool Street, Salford, between Fitzwarren Street and Albion Way on November 16th, between 7:45-8:20pm
  • Mossfield Road and Ackworth Road, Swinton, on November 21st, between 8-9am
  • Rocky Lane, Monton Green and Monton High Street on November 21st, between 6-7pm

Continue Reading

News

Police believe this car was used in three attempted kidnappings of schoolgirls

Do you recognise the vehicle?

Avatar photo

Published

on

Greater Manchester Police

Police have released CCTV footage of a car they believe was used in three attempted kidnappings around Salford.

A man driving the vehicle attempted to force a 15-year-old girl into the car at a bus stop in Monton on November 21st.

Detectives also think the same man tried to abduct another girl earlier that same day, as well as a third teenager five days previous.

According to Greater Manchester Police, the victims have been left ‘extremely shaken up’.

Detective Inspector Chris Horsfield said: “It’s very important that we get this man identified and off the streets as soon as possible.”

Police have identified the vehicle in the footage as a black Vauxhall Astra with a silver cover on the driver’s side wing mirror.

Greater Manchester Police

Anyone with dashcam footage from the following times, officers are keen to speak to you:

  • Liverpool Street, Salford, between Fitzwarren Street and Albion Way on November 16th, between 7:45-8:20pm

  • Mossfield Road and Ackworth Road, Swinton, on November 21st, between 8-9am

  • Rocky Lane, Monton Green and Monton High Street on November 21st, between 6-7pm

 

Continue Reading

News

‘Heartbroken’ family of three-year-old girl tragically killed in M6 crash pay tribute

‘RIP baby girl, we are all missing you and will carry on forever’

Avatar photo

Published

on

Lancashire Police

The three-year-old girl who tragically died in a horror crash on the motorway this weekend has been named.

Faye Dawson, from Wallasey in Merseyside, died when an elderly driver’s Porsche collided with the car she was in on the M6 in Lancashire.

Emergency services responded to the incident, which happened between Preston and Leyland, at about 5.50pm on Saturday, November 19th.

The M6 was shut in both directions for several hours following the tragic incident, with two lanes of the southbound carriageway remaining closed on Sunday while emergency surface repairs were undertaken.

Lancashire Police

Faye’s family have now released a tribute, saying: “We can’t see the future without you, it has left a massive hole in our lives.

“Everyone says how precious their daughter/granddaughter is but you were an exception, you were such a clever little girl who was very funny and had us all laughing all the time.

“You were so loving and caring and above all very loved by everyone who met you. You’re now at rest with your great nanny, great grandad, and Uncle Jimmy.

“Words won’t justify how much we are all going to miss you and how much we all love you. Your mummy is being so brave, and she will continue to make you proud.

“You were too little to be taken away from us, but we know the angels will look after you and they’re lucky to have you dancing in the sky with them.

“We are all so heartbroken that you were taken far too young, but we are so glad that we got to have you for the time we did.

“RIP baby girl, we are all missing you and will carry on forever. All our love.”

Lancashire Police

Police think that the Porsche – which was being driven by a 79-year-old man who also died at the scene – crashed into the Vauxhall Meriva that Faye was travelling in.

The car then flipped on its side and burst into flames, with two adults travelling in the Vauxhall rushed to hospital.

Faye’s mother suffered serious injuries and is being treated in hospital, while a man who was in the car also received serious injuries.

Google Maps

Officers are still appealing for witnesses. Sergeant Craig Booth, the serious Collision Investigator for Lancashire Police’s Tactical Operations Unit, said: “These are very sad and tragic circumstances.

“This was a traumatic scene for all witnesses and emergency services involved, I would like to pass on my thanks for their dedication in dealing with an incident which can only be described as horrific.

“We want to hear from any witnesses to the collision or those who have dashcam footage from the area around the time it happened.”

Anyone who witnessed the incident or has dashcam footage from the motorway can contact 101 – quoting log 1102 of November 19th, 2022.

 

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2022 Manchester's Finest Group