Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

News

Man electrocuted by pylon as onlookers report ‘huge explosion’ and power cuts

Local houses reported temporary power cuts around the time of the incident

Avatar photo

Published

on

Google Maps

A man was electrocuted at the top of a pylon in South Manchester yesterday as onlookers reported seeing a ‘huge explosion’.

Greater Manchester Police announced that they had received reports of a male having been electrocuted by a large pylon – also known as a transmission tower – on Princess Parkway beside the M60 slip road shortly after 5:30pm.

The main road, which connects the city centre with Wythenshawe, saw its southbound carriageway immediately closed off as police and emergency services rushed to deal with the incident.

Traffic was diverted via Barlow Moor Road and Palatine Road as drivers were urged to avoid the area.

A cordon was later erected around the wooded area at the foot of the pylon as forensic officers arrived to investigate. This caused huge queues of congestion, with traffic officers reopening only one lane, allowing drivers to slowly pass the cordon in single file.

Bus services also announced that there had been severe delays.

Onlookers told the Manchester Evening News that there was an ‘explosion’ at the top of the pylon at the time of the incident, with others reporting flickering lights and temporary power cuts in their homes nearby.

A spokesperson for the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue service said: “At around 5:40 pm this evening (Wednesday March 16th), we were called to a police incident at Princess Parkway, Manchester.

“Two fire engines from Moss Side and Stretford fire stations attended the scene and supported colleagues from Greater Manchester Police and North West Ambulance Service.

“Firefighters were in attendance for approximately one hour and a half.”

There is yet to be an update on the man’s condition.

News

‘Tourist tax’ for visitors staying in Manchester to be introduced next year

Do you think it’s a good idea?

Avatar photo

Published

on

The Lowry Hotel / Manchester's Finest Group

Tourists visiting Manchester will have to pay a charge from April next year, if they’re staying in the city centre.

The new ‘tax’ is being implemented to fund a business improvement district group in our city to boost tourism.

The new district will be known as the Manchester Accommodation Business Improvement District (ABID).

The aim of the ABID will be to ‘improve the visitor experience’ to Manchester city centre and ‘support the growth of the visitor economy’ during the next five years.

Peter McDermott / Geograph

Tourists who have to pay the new city centre fee will be charged £1 per night.

According to the Manchester Evening News, around 74 hotels and serviced short-stay apartments will charge visitors the fee, which is predicted to raise around £4 million annually.

Bev Craig, the leader of Manchester City Council, said: “These are exciting times for Manchester city centre with an unprecedented number of new hotel rooms being added and major new visitor attractions such as Factory International and Co-op Live due to open in the months ahead.

“Seizing that opportunity means ensuring as many rooms as possible are full all year round. We believe that targeted investment through the Manchester ABID will help support the accommodation sector – which plays such a vital role in supporting jobs in our city and adding to its overall vibrancy – to thrive.”

@thelowryhotel / Instagram

Adrian Ellis, General Manager of the Lowry Hotel and chair of the Manchester Hoteliers’ Association, added: “The Manchester Hoteliers’ Association has been in discussion for several years to develop options to create new, additional funding that will support continued high performance and future growth of the visitor economy for accommodation providers across the city.

“The result of these discussions is the Manchester Accommodation Business Improvement District proposal, and I am delighted that hoteliers’ have voted in favour of creating an innovative, business-led solution to some of the problems we have been facing as a sector.

“A supplementary fee for guests, added to the final accommodation bill, is now an established norm within the travel sector across the world, and the Manchester ABID will now bring our accommodation sector in line with European and global counterparts and competitors.”

BrewDog

According to bosses at the ABID, the money made from the scheme will be used for marketing the city as a destination.

It will also entice further ‘large-scale events’ like festivals and conferences to come to Manchester during the off-season, as well as increasing the cleanliness of the streets, and ‘improving guest welcome’.

Following the pandemic and various Covid lockdowns, demand to visit Manchester has risen.

Continue Reading

News

First new UK coal mine in 30 years to open in the North West

Thoughts?

Avatar photo

Published

on

West Cumbria Mining Company

The government has given permission for the first new UK coal mine in 30 years to open in the North West.

Michael Gove approved the mine despite concerns regarding the climate impacts from both Conservative MPs and experts.

According to the BBC the mine would be located in Cumbria, and would be digging for coking coal to be used in steel production – both in the UK and across the world.

However, critics have said that the new coal mine would undermine climate targets, also pointing out that demand for coking coal is declining.

On the other hand, supporters of the project say it will both create jobs and reduce the UK’s need to import coal.

But supporters claim the mine, near Whitehaven, will create jobs and reduce the need to import coal.

The West Cumbria Mining project – which will be located near Whitehaven – has been in the balance for two years.

The local county council initially approved the mine in 2020, but this approval was suspended in early 2021 before the COP26 climate conference in Glasgow.

The government’s climate change adviser said at the time that the coal mine would increase carbon emissions.

Continue Reading

News

26-year-old who died in horror crash named as family pay tribute to ‘sensitive soul’

‘Saadat was a much-loved brother, son, and great human being’

Avatar photo

Published

on

Greater Manchester Police / Google Maps

A 26-year-old man who was killed in a horror crash in Manchester this weekend has been named.

Three others were critically injured in the collision, but have since been confirmed as being in a ‘stable’ condition by police.

The incident occurred on Chancellor Lane around 7am Sunday morning, and within minutes officers had attended the scene.

Greater Manchester Police

The man who sadly passed away has now been named as Saadat Shah, with his family paying tribute to the ‘sensitive soul’.

Saadat’s family said: “Saadat was a much-loved brother, son, and great human being. His life was just starting, and he just came back from Paris for his birthday last week.

“He had so many plans and was going to get married soon. He was very close with all members of his family, and he greatly loved everyone.

“A sensitive soul, he will be dearly missed by everyone forever. RIP.”

Google Maps

According to police, a car travelling away from the city centre lost control before colliding with a bollard – with no other vehicles involved.

Four men were taken to hospital to be treated, however Saadat sadly passed away despite the best efforts of medics

The other three occupants, aged 23, 24 and 29, suffered ‘life threatening injuries’, however in an update on Monday, December 5th, a Greater Manchester Police spokesperson said the car’s driver was in a ‘critical but stable’ condition.

The vehicle’s two other passengers are also in a stable condition, police said, but both have serious injuries.

Wikimedia Commons

No arrests have been made in relation to the crash, and GMP’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit are still appealing for anyone who may have seen the accident during the early hours to get in touch.

Officers want to speak to anyone who may have footage – including dashcam, mobile phone or CCTV/doorbell footage – from the area in the moments both before and after the crash.

Anyone with information can contact police on 0161 856 4741 quoting incident 713 of 4/12/22, or pass on details via their LiveChat function at www.gmp.police.uk or anonymously via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2022 Manchester's Finest Group