Police descended on Manchester Airport on Sunday morning after a gun was found in hold luggage.
Officers stormed Terminal 2 on Sunday, September 3rd, at around 10.45am after the discovery was made by staff in a passenger’s luggage.
A gun was seized and a man was arrested on suspicion of possessing a firearm. He has now been charged with possession of a firearm and ammunition by police.
A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police initially said: “At around 10:45 am this morning (Sunday 3rd September 2023), officers were called to reports of a possible firearm being found in hold luggage by airport staff at Manchester Airport.
“After initial inspection by security staff, GMP officers attended, and the firearm was seized.
“Subsequently, a man has been arrested for possession of a firearm and remains in custody for further questioning.”
They then followed up with further details, writing on Facebook: “Man charged with possession of firearm and ammunition after it was found by airport staff in hold luggage at Manchester Airport.
“At around 10:45am on Sunday 3 September 2023, officers were called to reports of a possible firearm being found in hold luggage by airport staff at Manchester Airport.
“After initial inspection by security staff, GMP officers attended, and the firearm was seized. Subsequently, a 53-year-old man was arrested for possession of a firearm and was taken to custody for further questioning.
“Brian McIntyre (01/07/1970) from the United States of America was later charged with possession of a firearm and possession of ammunition for a firearm without a certificate. McIntyre attended Stockport Magistrates court this morning where he was further remanded into custody.
“He is next due to appear at Manchester Crown Court on Monday 9 October 2023.”
McIntyre is Chris Eubank Jr’s boxing trainer, and had been in the country to oversee Eubank Jr’s win over Liam Smith at Manchester Arena on Saturday.
Gary Neville welcomes new £400m five-star hotel and residences to Manchester
The world famous W Hotel and W Residences will open in 2027
Exciting first look images are revealed for the hugely anticipated £400 million five-star hotel and residency set to open in 2027.
Gary Neville’s Relentless Developments has announced the St Michael’s development, currently being built between Deansgate and Albert Square, will be bringing with it a world famous hotel brand
The St Michael’s plot, soon to be home to luxury W Hotels and W Residences, will be the first outside London and one of 20 around the world, in a major deal with Marriott International.
The glossy new arrival will see hotel-inspired living offered at St Michael’s 217 apartments, offering buyers the opportunity to purchase a permanent residence within Manchester’s most exclusive postcode.
The iconic 41-storey tower will boast a 162-room hotel, with the tower also housing W Residences, a complex of 217 apartments which will be offered for sale from November, with occupancy also in 2027.
The live-in residences will also boast the facilities of the W Hotels, including 24-hour concierge (W’s whenever/wherever service), round-the-clock in-residence dining, laundry and dry cleaning, as well as the hotel’s gyms and other features.
“W Hotel and W Residences are going to put the distinctive 41-storey tower that is No.2 St Michael’s on the global map,” said Neville, Director, Relentless Developments.
“There is no better home for W Hotel in the North of England than Manchester.
“This is a bold city which continues to defy expectations and which embodies the same values of originality and passion that have made the W Hotel experience world-renowned.
“Situated alongside this, W Residences Manchester will be immersive, design-forward homes that will set a new standard in hotel-inspired living and massively raise the bar for city-centre home ownership.”
“I’d like to thank Marriott International and our developer partner, Salboy, for seeing the potential in this scheme and remaining committed to our vision,” he added.
Two Greater Manchester officers nominated for Pride of Britain Awards for acts of bravery
Incredible stories of bravery
The two Police Constables shared their stories of bravery on TV this week, resulting in their Pride Of Britain This Morning Emergency Services Award nominations.
PC Amy Greenwood based in Bury and PC Paul Spinks from Trafford, went above and beyond their call of duty.
PC Greenwood’s nomination is for her actions during an incident on Tuesday, December 21st, 2021. While on response, she was called to an incident in the early hours, which was initially believed to be a domestic incident.
Upon arrival things were not as they seemed when officers spotted a car. Amy calmly spoke to the driver to determine the circumstances of what had happened but it was quickly established the driver was intoxicated.
Footage recorded at the time showed the dramatic circumstances where Amy was dragged alongside the car 100-metres down the road as she held on for her life as the intoxicated driver tried to leave the scene.
After realising Amy was being dragged by the car, the driver stopped before being pulled out of the vehicle by Amy and her colleagues where she was arrested.
Thankfully, the terrifying ordeal didn’t result in any serious injuries, as Amy got away with grazed knees from being dragged at speed.
But the emotional and mental turmoil from the adrenaline rush was an altogether bigger battle.
Reflecting on the incident, PC Greenwood said: “When working on response you don’t really know what type of jobs you are going to come across. At the time I was just trying to cling on for my life, so I didn’t roll under the car.
“After what felt like a lifetime, the rest of the incident seems like a blur. Thankfully I had great colleagues who looked after me and were quick to respond once it unfolded. It all went from one extreme to another after having an initial conversation with her that seemed to be going well.
“I have no animosity towards the driver, she is a mother like myself, and I just hope she is getting the support and help she needs to turn her life around.”
District Superintendent Arif Nawaz, added: “I have immense pride and satisfaction to have someone like Amy as a part of our team.
“She embodies the true essence and spirit of what an officer needs to be at Greater Manchester Police and putting the public safety over her own safety to ensure we were able to bring someone to justice is a true testament to her character and attitude.”
The suspect who was later arrested received a three-month custodial sentence as a result of her reckless actions on that night.
PC Spinks has been recognised for his actions as he tackled a man wielding a machete outside a school in Salford during term time in May, 2022.
Paul was off-duty at the time and was not wearing any protective uniform or equipment, he put his own life at risk to ensure that people of Manchester were safe.
Speaking of his experience, PC Spinks, said: “I did what any other police officer would do in that situation by using my training to step in. Taking one knife off the streets is one more in the right direction.”
Detective Superintendent Alicia Smith of GMP’s Trafford District, added: “Paul is a credit not only to our district, but also to Greater Manchester Police as a whole, and it is a privilege to have him serving alongside us.
“I believe his actions and quick thinking that day stopped serious harm coming to innocent members of the public and he put other’s lives ahead of his own – going above and beyond the call of duty and his brave actions should be recognised.”
All four teenagers named in sentencing for killing of Kyle Hackland
They were sentenced to over 70 years between them
Kyle Hackland was stabbed to death in broad daylight in South Manchester last year, as all four teenagers have now been named.
Kyle, who was 17 at the time, was stabbed to death in a violent attack at around midday, in Withington, back in November 2022.
Today, four teenagers have been sentenced for over 70 years between them, with three found guilty of murder and one found guilty of manslaughter.
Tafari Kosey-Smith and Alfie Benson can now be named after they were both jailed following the six-week trial.
Yousef Sesay was sentenced to 22 years, Lewis Ludford for 21 years (with two years concurrent for a bladed article) and Kosey-Smith for 19 years (with two years concurrent for a bladed article), after all were found guilty of murder.
Whilst Benson was jailed for 12 years (with two years concurrent for burglary offences) after being found guilty of manslaughter, at Manchester and Salford Magistrates Court today, on Tuesday October 3rd.
Kyle was murdered in a revenge attack after Sesay was robbed by Kyle’s friend of around £1,000 during a drug deal the day before.
Those sentenced drove around the area in a stolen Volkswagen Golf looking to seek revenge when they came across a Mercedes vehicle which they wrongly believed was connected to Kyle’s friend.
The group attacked the vehicle with weapons by smashing the windscreen before continuing their hunt when within minutes they came across Kyle and his friend walking along Southlea Road.
His friend subsequently ran from the scene leaving Kyle alone with the entire incident being captured on CCTV.
One of those carrying out the chilling attack could be heard shouting loudly ‘chef him’ on four occasions, immediately before Kyle was brutally attacked with knives.
The violent assault on Kyle continued by three of the four before returning to the waiting car which was driven away at speed by the other member of the group, leaving Kyle to collapse on a driveway where members of the public tried to save his life before emergency services responded to the scene.
Despite everyone’s best attempts, Kyle sadly died a short time later at hospital as a direct result of the catastrophic injuries inflicted on him.
Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Chief Inspector David Moores said: “This is another heart-breaking example of how carrying a knife can have devastating consequences in a matter of seconds.
“Our thoughts as a force are once again with Kyle’s loved ones who will have to continue to live with the pain, but hopefully this can be eased in some way with the conviction of his killers.
“Officers in our Major Incident Team have worked tirelessly to bring justice, and, in our role, we are reminding any young person willing to carry a knife to put it down and think twice before doing so. It is not worth it and can ultimately cost yours and other people’s lives.”
Paying tribute to him around the time of the incident, Kyle’s family added: “We are devastated by the death of our beloved Kyle.
“He was such a kind and well-mannered young boy who always looked out for his family – never failing to say ‘love you’ as he walked out the door.
“There are no words that can even begin to describe the pain we feel. We have always been such a close family, and this has shattered us all.
“He will forever be missed as a beautiful son as well as a caring and helpful big brother, grandson, nephew, cousin, and friend. Life will never be the same without him, we are completely broken.”
If you know or suspect someone is carrying a knife, please report it immediately. Greater Manchester Police can be contacted via gmp.police.uk or 101. In an emergency, always dial 999.