Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

News

Liam and Noel Gallagher are ‘talking again’ giving hope of Oasis reunion

Is it finally time for a reunion?

Jamie Roberts

Published

on

Liam and Noel Gallagher have been at each other’s throats ever since Oasis split, however, a recent report has claimed the pair are now talking again.

This has led to fresh hope the pair could reform Oasis for one last tour – something that would be absolutely biblical.

According to reports, Liam, 47, and Noel, 52, healed the rift between them with the help of their kids, after the youngsters encouraged the pair to get back on speaking terms.

Will Fresch / Flickr

A source said: “Noel and Liam are back on speaking terms and have been communicating recently, mainly by text. All the kids would love nothing more than to see their dad and uncle being friends again.”

It’s thought Noel’s daughter Anais, 19, and Liam’s sons Lennon, 20, and Gene,18, and daughter Molly, 21, are behind the move.

However, Noel was slagging off Liam’s new single as recently as yesterday, so the rumours of the pair making up could be way off.

He wrote on Twitter: “Nothing to see here dudes and dollies. Silence is still golden..and just in case you weren’t already aware someone still has a new single out. I believe it’s called “Once” which is the exact amount of times it should be played.”

Liam in particular is known for being incredibly active on Twitter, and managed to cause a bit of a meltdown among Oasis fans last month with a tweet.

The former Oasis star informed his followers that he was going to retire as a solo artist after album number three, adding the reason he’s quitting is because Oasis are set to reform in 2022, after he received a call from his brother.

He tweeted: “I intend to retire as solo artist after album no3 as I have just had a call from my brother begging me to start oasis again in 2022 if you believe in life after love c’mon you know LG x”

Unfortunately, Noel responded at the time, telling TalkSPORT Breakfast host Ally McCoist a reunion isn’t happening, adding that Liam must have been on the booze.

zero159 / Flickr

Ever since Oasis broke up back in August 2009, Mancunians everywhere have waited with bated breath in the hope of good news from either of the Gallagher brothers about getting the band back together.

Unfortunately, after each public argument that possibility seems more and more unlikely, but this latest development could be good news for fans.

Is the continued public animosity from Noel just a smokescreen for Oasis finally getting back together? What do you think?

News

A huge change to driving tests is being introduced at the end of September

Here’s everything you need to know…

Proper Manchester

Published

on

RAF

Driving tests are set to change from the end of September, with a new UK theory test to be implemented.

People taking the test will sit a different driving theory test from Monday September 28th – the change was originally meant to happen on April 14th but was postponed due to coronavirus.

The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) has announced they’ll be using a video clip instead of written scenarios, with the switch being brought about to help boost accessibility.

Basher Eyre / Geograph

Learners will watch a driving clip of up to 30 seconds before answering three multiple-choice questions – you’ll be able to watch the clip as many times as you want.

These clips will include a vehicle driving through the countryside or a town centre, with questions about safe overtaking or motorcyclists being considered vulnerable road users.

According to the DVSA, the change is coming as a result of research which found people with disabilities and reading difficulties felt more comfortable with video-based questions.

Mark Winn, DVSA chief driving examiner, said: “Being able to drive can be life-changing and the DVSA is committed to helping everyone access the opportunities driving can offer.

“We have worked closely with road safety experts and learners to create a theory test which fully tests a candidate’s knowledge of the rules of the road and is more accessible.”

Albert Herring / Flickr

The DVSA worked alongside the British Dyslexia Association, the British Deaf Association, and the National Autistic Society to change the exam.

John Rogers, from Disability Driving Instructors, commented on the move: “A picture paints a thousand words, especially for candidates with special educational needs.

“Having to go back and forth between the text in the written scenario and the written questions and answers was a big obstacle to understanding what was required. Video scenarios should prove much easier to follow and the questions will hopefully appear more relevant.”

As it stands, learners have to read a case study then answer 5 multiple-choice questions, as well as take a hazard perception exam – you must pass both sections of the theory test before you can take the practical test.

For more info head over to the government site here.

Continue Reading

News

Remembering PCs Fiona Bone and Nicola Hughes eight years after their tragic deaths

Rest in peace.

Proper Manchester

Published

on

Greater Manchester Police

Today, Friday September 18th, marks eight years since PCs Fiona Bone and Nicola Hughes were tragically murdered while doing their jobs.

The two GMP Police Constables were killed while serving and protecting the public, as they responded to a hoax call in Mottram in Longdendale, Greater Manchester.

At around 11am on that tragic day, the two officers attended an address after receiving a false report that a concrete slab had been thrown through a window.

PC Bone, 32, and PC Hughes, 23, were then ambushed by Dale Cregan, who fired off 32 shots from a Glock pistol in just 31 seconds, before throwing a hand grenade.

Remembering Fiona Bone and Nicola Hughes, 8 years on. #NeverForgotten

Posted by Greater Manchester Police on Thursday, 17 September 2020

PC Bone was pronounced dead at the scene, while PC Hughes died later on, after reaching the hospital.

Their tragic deaths were met with anger and shock, and the next day a moments silence was held by Greater Manchester Police at 11am in remembrance. The Union Flag was lowered to half-mast at GMP’s headquarters as a mark of respect.

Their funerals were held over October 3rd and 4th at Manchester Cathedral, and large parts of the city centre came to a standstill as huge crowds attended to pay their respects to the brave officers.

On June 13th 2013, Cregan was sentenced to whole life imprisonment at Preston Crown Court following his trial – meaning he’ll be locked up until he dies.

On the eighth anniversary, Hyde and Hattersley GMP took to Twitter to pay their respects to the fallen officers.

They wrote: “Today marks the 8th anniversary of the tragic loss of PC’s Nicola and Fiona. A private service will be held with close family, and Chief Supt Allsop.

“The family have given permission for this to be live streamed here at 10.50 for those wishing to pay their respects.”


RIP to Fiona and Nicola, gone but never forgotten x

Continue Reading

News

Chester Zoo ‘faces financial ruin and closure’ if the government fails to deliver funding

Sad news…

Alex Watson

Published

on

Chester Zoo

Chester Zoo and other UK attractions potentially face closure due to lack of financial support from the government despite earlier promises, according to an MP. 

Justin Madders, Labour MP for Ellesmere Port and Neston, has slammed the government for ‘talking a good game but failing on delivery’. 

The UK government promised £100m to the country’s zoos and aquariums to help them recover from months of financial loss during the coronavirus lockdown. 

Three months later and the attractions have yet to receive any of the money, according to the Liverpool Echo

Mr Madders explains that Chester Zoo will face ‘financial ruin’ unless the support and funds are provided.

Chester Zoo/Facebook

Madders explained: “Sadly this is yet another example of the government talking a good game but failing on delivery.

“I understand that the restrictive criteria applied to the fund mean that it will be virtually impossible for most zoos to qualify for support.

“It is typical of this two-faced, insincere Government to claim they are offering help to everyone when in reality they are not, just like the three million people who have been excluded from any financial support at all.

“I am concerned that zoos like my own Chester Zoo will face financial ruin unless the Government wake up to the reality that their support fund is an illusion.

“Unfortunately, I fear they already know this and are content to pretend to be helping when they have no intention of doing so at all.”

Chester Zoo/Facebook

The British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA) said it is ‘virtually impossible’ for zoos to qualify for support under the current parameters.

BIAZA added that most zoos will not benefit from the funding. Dr Cerian Tatchley, BIAZA’s acting joint director, said: “Without urgent changes, the Government is putting at risk some of the UK’s best-loved zoos and aquariums.

“Our zoos, aquariums and safari parks are reliant on admissions to keep going, and so the lockdown earlier this year has wreaked financial devastation that will be felt for years to come.

“While the sector is grateful that the government has demonstrated its support through providing £100 million to save zoos, it is frustrating that not one zoo has yet benefited from the new Zoo Animals Fund.

Chester Zoo/Facebook

Dr Tatchley continued: “BIAZA has been clear in our regular meetings with Defra and the minister that restrictions on the fund means very few zoos will be eligible to receive any support and this is being borne out.

“While we expect that more zoos will apply for the fund over the next few months, many of England’s best zoos and aquariums will still not receive any support from this fund.”

Jamie Christon, chief operating officer at Chester Zoo, said: “The Government has said it is continuing to talk to large zoos like us to explore ways of supporting us and our vital efforts to prevent extinction. But still there is nothing on the table.

“After significant time spent in lengthy and what have been seemingly very positive discussions with Government representatives for several months, this is extremely disappointing for us.”

Chester Zoo/Facebook

A Government spokesperson said: “We understand the challenges zoos have been facing due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“That is why we put in place this specialist fund specifically to ensure zoos facing severe financial difficulties can provide the best possible care for their animals.

“We are rapidly processing current applications and we stand ready to support any future requests to the fund.”

Applications for the funding are open until November 16th. 

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2019 Proper Manchester