Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

News

Legendary actor Bernard Cribbins dies aged 93

The actor was awarded an OBE for his services to drama in 2011

Published

on

Brian Minkoff London Pixels / Wikimedia Commons

Veteran actor Bernard Cribbins has died at the age of ninety-three, his agent has confirmed today.

Throughout his career, which spanned seven decades, Cribbins starred in a number of blockbuster films and TV series, including The Railway Children, Doctor Who and several Carry On movies.

He also had roles in ITV soap Coronation Street, as well as many others films and programmes.

A statement from Gavin Barker Associates said: “Beloved actor Bernard Cribbins OBE has passed away at the age of ninety-three.

“His career spanned seven decades with such diverse work ranging from films like The Railway Children and the Carry On series, hit 60s song ‘Right Said Fred’, a notorious guest on Fawlty Towers and narrating The Wombles.

“He worked well into his 90s, recently appearing in Doctor Who and the CBeebies series Old Jack’s Boat.

“He lost his wife of sixty-six years, Gill, last year.

“Bernard’s contribution to British entertainment is without question. He was unique, typifying the best of his generation, and will be greatly missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing and working with him.”

The tributes for Cribbins have been flooding in since the announcement of his death, with returning Doctor Who show runner Russell T Davies writing: “Bernard Cribbins (1928-2022) I love this man. I love him.

“He loved being in Doctor Who. He said, ‘Children are calling me grandad in the street!’. His first day was on location with Kylie Minogue, but all eyes, even Kylie’s, were on Bernard. He’d turned up with a suitcase full of props, just in case, including a rubber chicken.

“And what an actor. Oh, really though, what a wonderful actor. We once took him to the TV Choice Awards and sent him up on his own to collect the award, and the entire room stood up and cheered him. That’s a lovely memory.

“He loved Gill with all his heart; he mentioned her in every conversation we ever had. A love story for the ages. I’m so lucky to have known him. Thanks for everything, my old soldier. A legend has left the world.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Second man arrested after girl, 6, abducted and assaulted

BREAKING: The girl was abducted on Wednesday afternoon

Published

on

GMP

A second man has been arrested on suspicion of abducting and sexually assaulting a six-year-old girl in Greater Manchester.

The man, twenty-three, remains in custody for questioning, Greater Manchester Police have confirmed.

Previously a thirty-five-year-old man was arrested, but he has since been released with no further action taken.

Officers were first called to reports of an abduction at around 4pm on Wednesday, August 17th. The child was allegedly taken into a wooded area near a disused railway in Droylsden. 

There, the girl was taken to a van where she was sexually assaulted. She was taken back to the woods before managing to find her own way to a nearby park. 

She has since been reunited with her family, and is been supported by specialist officers.

Before his release, the first suspect was questioned by detectives yesterday, who were said to be ‘keeping an open-mind’ as they continued their hunt for another man who had been ‘acting suspiciously’ in the area at the time.

Anyone with more information on the incident has been urged to contact GMP on 0161 856 9262 or LiveChat quoting incident 2270 of 17/08.

Continue Reading

News

Teen girl who died after getting into difficulty in water is named

BREAKING: The teenager’s body was recovered overnight earlier this week

Published

on

Google Maps

The teenage girl who died after getting into difficulty in a lake in Stalybridge has been named as Lucy Smith.

The fourteen-year-old’s body was recovered from water near Crowswood Drive in Stalybridge after emergency services were called out at around 6:30pm on Monday (August 15th).

Police said the body was recovered overnight and was then formally identified.

A spokesperson for the Manchester South Coroners’ Court has now confirmed that a file in relation to Lucy’s death has been passed to the coroner.

An inquest will open at a later date. Police said they do not believe there were any suspicious circumstances surrounding her death.

Detective Inspector Steven Horton, of GMP’s Tameside CID, said at the time of Lucy’s death: “Yesterday evening’s events are nothing short of devastating and my thoughts are with the friends and family of the young girl who lost her life in such awful circumstances.

“We are doing all we can to support the girl’s family at this incredibly difficult time, and we are focused on ensuring they get the answers they deserve as to how this tragedy occurred.

“From our enquiries so far, we are confident that there are no suspicious circumstances and that this is such a sad reminder of the dangers of entering open water, whatever the weather.”

Continue Reading

News

Man arrested after girl, 6, abducted and assaulted

A second man is still at large

Published

on

Google Maps & GMP

A man has been arrested on suspicion of abducting and sexually assaulting a six-year-old girl in Droylsden, though the hunt for another man continues.

Police were first called to reports of an abduction at around 4pm yesterday (August 17th). They believe the girl was taken by a man on Warne Avenue and into a wooded area near the disused railway track towards Manchester Road.

There, the girl was taken to a van where she was sexually assaulted. She was taken back to the woods before managing to find her own way to a nearby park. 

She has since been reunited with her family, and is been supported by specialist officers.

Last night, Greater Manchester Police announced that a thirty-five-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of abduction and sexual assault.

He was taken into custody to be questioned by detectives, who are ‘keeping an open-mind’ and continuing to hunt for another man who was ‘acting suspiciously’ in the area at the time.

Police released two pictures of the man, with the second image showing him on Gainsborough Road, heading towards The Snipe with his jacket removed around thirty minutes after the incident.

Anyone who sees the man should call 999, quoting incident 2270 of 17/08/2022. Other details – including sightings on CCTV, dash cam, or doorbell footage – can be passed to police via the LiveChat facility on the website or by calling 0161 856 9262.

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2022 Manchester's Finest Group