Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

News

Jeremy Hunt confirms UK is in recession as he announces tax rises and spending cuts

BREAKING NEWS

Avatar photo

Published

on

The chancellor has delivered his Autumn Statement, with tax rises and spending cuts on the horizon.

Jeremy Hunt faced parliament this morning as he revealed his economic plan for the coming months.

He began by saying that he was unveiling a plan to revive the economy, saying: “We are honest about the challenges and we are fair in our solutions… We will also protect the vulnerable.”

The chancellor added that the plan will lead to ‘a shallower downturn’ as well as ‘lower energy bills’, and that the government has three priorities: “Stability, growth and public services”.

Hunt said he will deliver a consolidation of £55bn via tax rises and spending cuts, saying: “Just under half of the £55bn consolidation coming from tax, and just over half from spending, this is a balanced plan for stability.”

He also confirmed that the UK is now in recession, according to the OBR, with the chancellor saying GDP is forecast to shrink by 1.4% next year before it returns to growth in 2024.

What the chancellor has announced on tax:

  • As a percentage of GDP, tax will increase by only 1% over the next five years.
  • When it comes to personal tax, Hunt says he will reduce the 45p rate threshold from £150,000 to £125,140 – those earning £150,000 or more will pay around £1,200 more a year.
  • On top of that, the annual capital gains tax exempt amount will be cut from £12,300 to £6,000 next year and down to £3,000 from April 2024.

When it comes to public spending, Hunt said: “Our plan for the cost of living delivers lower inflation, lower mortgage rates, a shallower downturn, and lower unemployment.

“But it also involves public spending discipline, so I turn next to how we protect public services through a challenging period.”

The chancellor went on to say that the NHS and education will be protected ‘as much as we can’, but added that public spending will grow ‘slower than the economy’.

Government departments will need to find savings to keep up with inflation, and more than 600,000 people on Universal Credit will soon be asked to meet with work coaches.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Man arrested following three attempted kidnappings of schoolgirls

A 33-year-old was arrested.

Avatar photo

Published

on

Greater Manchester Police

Police have arrested a man following their release of CCTV footage featuring a car they believe was used in three attempted kidnappings around Salford.

A man driving the vehicle reportedly attempted to force a 15-year-old girl into the car at a bus stop in Monton on November 21st.

Detectives also think the same man ‘possibly’ tried to abduct another girl earlier that same day, as well as a third teenager five days previous.

Now police have confirmed that a 33-year-old man was arrested by officers today, Monday November 28th, on suspicion of three counts of attempted kidnap.

According to Greater Manchester Police, the victims have been left ‘extremely shaken up’.

Officers identified the vehicle in the footage as a black Vauxhall Astra with a silver cover on the driver’s side wing mirror.

Greater Manchester Police

Detective Inspector Chris Horsfield, of GMP’s Salford CID, said: “Although we have made this arrest, we are still very much looking to speak to anyone who may have information or dashcam footage, which could help us to establish the circumstances.

“We understand that the local community will be concerned but we are doing all we can to solve this investigation.

“I’d urge anyone who knows anything at all to please get in touch as soon as possible. In particular we are interested in the movements of a Black Vauxhall Astra 08 plate with a silver driver’s wing mirror cover; the passenger side is black.”

Police are still keen to speak to anyone with dashcam footage from the following times:

  • Liverpool Street, Salford, between Fitzwarren Street and Albion Way on November 16th, between 7:45-8:20pm
  • Mossfield Road and Ackworth Road, Swinton, on November 21st, between 8-9am
  • Rocky Lane, Monton Green and Monton High Street on November 21st, between 6-7pm

Continue Reading

News

Police believe this car was used in three attempted kidnappings of schoolgirls

Do you recognise the vehicle?

Avatar photo

Published

on

Greater Manchester Police

Police have released CCTV footage of a car they believe was used in three attempted kidnappings around Salford.

A man driving the vehicle attempted to force a 15-year-old girl into the car at a bus stop in Monton on November 21st.

Detectives also think the same man tried to abduct another girl earlier that same day, as well as a third teenager five days previous.

According to Greater Manchester Police, the victims have been left ‘extremely shaken up’.

Detective Inspector Chris Horsfield said: “It’s very important that we get this man identified and off the streets as soon as possible.”

Police have identified the vehicle in the footage as a black Vauxhall Astra with a silver cover on the driver’s side wing mirror.

Greater Manchester Police

Anyone with dashcam footage from the following times, officers are keen to speak to you:

  • Liverpool Street, Salford, between Fitzwarren Street and Albion Way on November 16th, between 7:45-8:20pm

  • Mossfield Road and Ackworth Road, Swinton, on November 21st, between 8-9am

  • Rocky Lane, Monton Green and Monton High Street on November 21st, between 6-7pm

 

Continue Reading

News

‘Heartbroken’ family of three-year-old girl tragically killed in M6 crash pay tribute

‘RIP baby girl, we are all missing you and will carry on forever’

Avatar photo

Published

on

Lancashire Police

The three-year-old girl who tragically died in a horror crash on the motorway this weekend has been named.

Faye Dawson, from Wallasey in Merseyside, died when an elderly driver’s Porsche collided with the car she was in on the M6 in Lancashire.

Emergency services responded to the incident, which happened between Preston and Leyland, at about 5.50pm on Saturday, November 19th.

The M6 was shut in both directions for several hours following the tragic incident, with two lanes of the southbound carriageway remaining closed on Sunday while emergency surface repairs were undertaken.

Lancashire Police

Faye’s family have now released a tribute, saying: “We can’t see the future without you, it has left a massive hole in our lives.

“Everyone says how precious their daughter/granddaughter is but you were an exception, you were such a clever little girl who was very funny and had us all laughing all the time.

“You were so loving and caring and above all very loved by everyone who met you. You’re now at rest with your great nanny, great grandad, and Uncle Jimmy.

“Words won’t justify how much we are all going to miss you and how much we all love you. Your mummy is being so brave, and she will continue to make you proud.

“You were too little to be taken away from us, but we know the angels will look after you and they’re lucky to have you dancing in the sky with them.

“We are all so heartbroken that you were taken far too young, but we are so glad that we got to have you for the time we did.

“RIP baby girl, we are all missing you and will carry on forever. All our love.”

Lancashire Police

Police think that the Porsche – which was being driven by a 79-year-old man who also died at the scene – crashed into the Vauxhall Meriva that Faye was travelling in.

The car then flipped on its side and burst into flames, with two adults travelling in the Vauxhall rushed to hospital.

Faye’s mother suffered serious injuries and is being treated in hospital, while a man who was in the car also received serious injuries.

Google Maps

Officers are still appealing for witnesses. Sergeant Craig Booth, the serious Collision Investigator for Lancashire Police’s Tactical Operations Unit, said: “These are very sad and tragic circumstances.

“This was a traumatic scene for all witnesses and emergency services involved, I would like to pass on my thanks for their dedication in dealing with an incident which can only be described as horrific.

“We want to hear from any witnesses to the collision or those who have dashcam footage from the area around the time it happened.”

Anyone who witnessed the incident or has dashcam footage from the motorway can contact 101 – quoting log 1102 of November 19th, 2022.

 

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2022 Manchester's Finest Group