Frontline NHS staff in England will have to be fully vaccinated against Covid in order to keep their jobs, the health secretary has confirmed today.
Sajid Javid told the House of Commons that all staff have until April 1st 2022 to get both doses of the vaccine, while care home workers have until Thursday this week.
In a statement to MPs, Javid said, as per the BBC: “Having considered the consultation responses, the advice of my officials and NHS leaders including the chief executive of the NHS, I have concluded that all those working in the NHS and social care will have to be vaccinated.
“We must avoid preventable harm and protect patients in the NHS, protect colleagues in the NHS and, of course, protect the NHS itself.”
He added that no unvaccinated worker should be ‘scapegoated’, said Mr Javid, and should instead be supported to make ‘a positive choice’.
Chris Hopson, the Chief Executive of NHS Providers pointed out that between 80,000 and 100,000 NHS workers in England are currently unvaccinated, and said that while a small majority of hospital bosses back jabs becoming compulsory, more than 90% of them fear it could worsen the understaffing that is already endemic across the service.
He said: “The potential loss of those staff who don’t take the vaccine when the service is already under huge pressure and carrying 93,000 vacancies. The government must recognise the risk of losing unvaccinated frontline staff and support efforts to maximise voluntary take-up first.”
In response to the backlash, a Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said last week: “We have taken action to introduce vaccination requirements in care homes and we recently consulted on extending this further across health and other social care services.
“We will set out our response in due course.”
Government to review Omicron Covid rules on December 21st
The rules are expected to stay in place until the new year
The rules and regulations brought in to tackle the Omicron variant of Covid-19 will reportedly be reviewed on December 21st.
According to new reports today, while the rules will be reviewed four days before Christmas Day, they are unlikely to be lifted and will instead be kept in force until the new year.
It has also been suggested that the government’s Plan B – which will enforce mandatory masks in pubs and restaurants and advice to work from home – is not yet needed.
A Government source told the MailOnline: “In terms of Plan B, we are not there yet. The ambition is that people can have a much more normal Christmas than last year.
“That depends on what the data shows about the new variant. But certainly the hope is that things stay as they are in the next couple of weeks.”
The current rules mean face masks in shops, hairdressers, banks and post offices are now mandatory, as well as on public transport.
The rules also require anyone who comes into contact with someone who tests positive for Omicron to quarantine for ten days – even those who are fully vaccinated.
However, a Sage scientist recently said the new variant is ‘not a disaster’, and that ‘some people may be ‘hugely overstating the situation’.
Microbiologist Prof Calum Semple says vaccines are ‘still likely to protect you from severe disease’, telling BBC Breakfast: “This is not a disaster, and the headlines from some of my colleagues saying ‘this is horrendous’ I think are hugely overstating the situation.
“Immunity from the vaccination is still likely to protect you from severe disease. You might get a snuffle or a headache or a filthy cold but your chance of coming into hospital or intensive care or sadly dying are greatly diminished by the vaccine and still will be going into the future.”
Stevenson Square set to be fully pedestrianised and turned into a proper public square under new plans
Local residents have been encouraged to come forward and contribute towards the planning of the new space
Plans to permanently pedestrianise the Northern Quarter’s Stevenson Square have been released to the public.
A large proportion of the popular square has been closed off from traffic since last summer, when the council closed several roads to encourage pedestrians back into the city centre.
It was also hoped that the closure of roads would help bars, restaurants and cafes to expand out into the streets to enable social distancing throughout the pandemic.
Yet while some city centre road closures were reversed in October when the emergency Covid legislation came to an end, many roads remained closed around the Northern Quarter after the council were put under pressure deliver improved walking and cycling routes.
And Stevenson Square was one of them, with new plans for the area released detailing proposals for at least twenty new trees, seating, bike racks, a ‘rain garden’ and sustainable draining systems.
Further trees could potentially be planted subject to future surveys to find optimum space, and make allowances for underground utilities.
Traffic will still be able to pass through Lever Street but, where it would usually meet the square, the road will instead become a raised carriageway with a controlled pedestrian crossing.
Jon-Connor Lyons, Labour councillor for the Piccadilly ward, said on the plans: “We really welcome this final consultation on the proposals to permanently pedestrianise Stevenson Square.
“The Northern Quarter is a tightly-packed neighbourhood with buildings of various heights, history and architectural merits, though it is lacking public space for people to relax.
“What I’d like to see is more non-commercial seating in the square that is also age-friendly, as well as a friendly environment for artists and creatives to help further the space. I encourage residents to come forward and contribute towards the planning of this space.”
Councillor Tracey Rawlins, Manchester City Council’s Executive Member for Environment, added: “I’m incredibly pleased that we’re able to take the next step towards creating a more accessible and thriving Northern Quarter.
“Making more space available for people to walk and cycle as well as introducing more green space were just two of the many priorities highlighted to us by residents and businesses throughout the consultations we’ve run.”
For more information and to have your say on the pedestrianisation, visit the Manchester City Council website here.
Yellow weather warning for heavy snow and wind issued in Greater Manchester
As the country continues to recover from Storm Arwen, another spate of bad weather is on its way…
The Met Office has issued a yellow weather warning in various areas across Greater Manchester ahead of the arrival of Storm Barra.
The second named storm of the season is expected to hit tomorrow (Tuesday December 7th) with forecasters saying plummeting temperatures and heavy snow are to be expected across a vast proportion of Northern England and Scotland, including parts of Oldham and Tameside in our region.
The warning is in place from 11am tomorrow until midnight.
Another yellow weather warning for wind has also been issued for most of the UK, which is in place from 9am tomorrow until midnight.
Forecasters say travel disruption is ‘likely’, especially over higher routes, as is delays to rail and air travel. There is also the ‘slight chance some rural communities may become cut off’.
The Met Office said: “A deep area of low pressure moving in across the UK from the Atlantic is likely to bring high winds to many parts of the UK.
“Strong winds arriving into the west through the morning, spreading inland and reaching eastern areas through the afternoon and early evening. Gusts of 45-50 mph are expected widely, with 60-70 mph in exposed coastal locations.
“Strongest winds will ease across inland areas into the overnight period.”
This comes as many parts of the country continue to recover from the effects of Storm Arwen, which has left thousands of people in the North without power heating and hot water.
The Energy Networks Association (ENA) said, as per The Independent, that 3,190 homes were still waiting to be reconnected as of 2pm on Sunday. This was down from 4,025 homes on Sunday morning.