Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

News

Former rugby player ‘died after suffering heart attack while beating up girlfriend’

The woman was reportedly left in a wheelchair following the attack

Published

on

Ricky Bibey / Instagram & Jennie Platt / Facebook

A former British Rugby League player died after suffering a heart attack as he ‘viciously beat up’ his girlfriend on holiday in Italy.

Jennie Platt, forty-four, needed three operations after she was allegedly beaten up by her boyfriend Ricky Bibey, forty, in their room at the Hotel Continentale in Florence, in the early hours of July 16th.

Jennie, who runs Jennie Platt Estates and Lettings in Manchester, has arrived back in the UK after a hospital stay in Florence, but has not been well enough to return to work due to ‘significant’ injuries said to have left her in a wheelchair.

A family friend told the MailOnline that Jennie was devastated after the ‘shocking and violent’ attack.

Ricky Bibey / Instagram

They said: “She has been doing all she can to help the Italian authorities piece together what happened that night, speaking to them as a witness and as a victim of a domestic assault.”

The friend added that, because Ricky had been well liked and respected in the Rugby League community, it was likely that people would find it difficult to hear what happened.

They said Jennie had suffered a number of serious injuries, including one to her eye socket which was ‘very worrying’. She is currently in a wheelchair while she recovers from the assault, they added.

An autopsy showed that Ricky, who made appearances for England, Wigan Warriors, Leigh Centurions and St. Helens, died from a heart attack.

While toxicology results are yet to be confirmed, police said Ricky had taken both alcohol and cocaine, a combination they believe provoked his death.

Google Maps

Platt’s lawyer Stefano Goldstein said in a statement: “My client Jennie was the victim of terrible assault and needed several operations during a lengthy stay in hospital.

“She has cooperated fully with the authorities who are investigating the matter and we expect the case to be closed within the next few days but for Jennie the trauma of what happened will not end as she will need medical care in England.

“Jennie has explained to the police that the night Ricky died he was completely out of control and that he had attacked her.”

They expect the case to be closed in the coming days.

If you or anyone you know are victims of domestic violence, you can contact the Greater Manchester Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0800 254 0909, or alternatively visit the Domestic Abuse Helpline website.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Second man arrested after girl, 6, abducted and assaulted

BREAKING: The girl was abducted on Wednesday afternoon

Published

on

A second man has been arrested on suspicion of abducting and sexually assaulting a six-year-old girl in Greater Manchester.

The man, twenty-three, remains in custody for questioning, Greater Manchester Police have confirmed.

Previously a thirty-five-year-old man was arrested, but he has since been released with no further action taken.

Officers were first called to reports of an abduction at around 4pm on Wednesday, August 17th. The child was allegedly taken into a wooded area near a disused railway in Droylsden. 

There, the girl was taken to a van where she was sexually assaulted. She was taken back to the woods before managing to find her own way to a nearby park. 

She has since been reunited with her family, and is been supported by specialist officers.

Before his release, the first suspect was questioned by detectives yesterday, who were said to be ‘keeping an open-mind’ as they continued their hunt for another man who had been ‘acting suspiciously’ in the area at the time.

Continue Reading

News

Teen girl who died after getting into difficulty in water is named

BREAKING: The teenager’s body was recovered overnight earlier this week

Published

on

Google Maps

The teenage girl who died after getting into difficulty in a lake in Stalybridge has been named as Lucy Smith.

The fourteen-year-old’s body was recovered from water near Crowswood Drive in Stalybridge after emergency services were called out at around 6:30pm on Monday (August 15th).

Police said the body was recovered overnight and was then formally identified.

A spokesperson for the Manchester South Coroners’ Court has now confirmed that a file in relation to Lucy’s death has been passed to the coroner.

An inquest will open at a later date. Police said they do not believe there were any suspicious circumstances surrounding her death.

Detective Inspector Steven Horton, of GMP’s Tameside CID, said at the time of Lucy’s death: “Yesterday evening’s events are nothing short of devastating and my thoughts are with the friends and family of the young girl who lost her life in such awful circumstances.

“We are doing all we can to support the girl’s family at this incredibly difficult time, and we are focused on ensuring they get the answers they deserve as to how this tragedy occurred.

“From our enquiries so far, we are confident that there are no suspicious circumstances and that this is such a sad reminder of the dangers of entering open water, whatever the weather.”

Continue Reading

News

Man arrested after girl, 6, abducted and assaulted

A second man is still at large

Published

on

Google Maps & GMP

A man has been arrested on suspicion of abducting and sexually assaulting a six-year-old girl in Droylsden, though the hunt for another man continues.

Police were first called to reports of an abduction at around 4pm yesterday (August 17th). They believe the girl was taken by a man on Warne Avenue and into a wooded area near the disused railway track towards Manchester Road.

There, the girl was taken to a van where she was sexually assaulted. She was taken back to the woods before managing to find her own way to a nearby park. 

She has since been reunited with her family, and is been supported by specialist officers.

Last night, Greater Manchester Police announced that a thirty-five-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of abduction and sexual assault.

He was taken into custody to be questioned by detectives, who are ‘keeping an open-mind’ and continuing to hunt for another man who was ‘acting suspiciously’ in the area at the time.

Police released two pictures of the man, with the second image showing him on Gainsborough Road, heading towards The Snipe with his jacket removed around thirty minutes after the incident.

Anyone who sees the man should call 999, quoting incident 2270 of 17/08/2022. Other details – including sightings on CCTV, dash cam, or doorbell footage – can be passed to police via the LiveChat facility on the website or by calling 0161 856 9262.

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2022 Manchester's Finest Group