The parents of Emily Jones, a schoolgirl from Bolton who was tragically murdered, have issued a plea for people to stop using her image as part of the recent protests and movements.
Emily Jones was sadly murdered on Sunday 22nd March 2020 in Bolton, she was just seven years old.
Her picture, which was released by her parents, has been used by those opposing the Black Lives Matter protests as part of their ‘all lives matter’ campaign, claiming that her killing was ignored by the media because she was white.
In a statement released by the Greater Manchester Police, her parents Sarah and Mark said: “We are aware that many people are using the picture we released of our daughter Emily, when we publically paid tribute to her following the worst day of our lives, as part of recent protests and campaigns.
“Today we kindly ask the public to stop using the picture of our Emily from one of her days at school.
“We hold this picture dear to our hearts and to see it being used in this way is incredibly upsetting – Emily loved everything and everyone, regardless of their race, gender or beliefs. As we’ve said before, she was beautiful inside and out and had a heart as big as her smile.
“We can’t thank people enough for the support we have received as we continue to live through the nightmare that is life without Emily, but we’re still grieving over the loss of our beautiful daughter and seeing her picture being used as part of recent protests is causing us huge distress.”
They continued: “A woman has been charged with the murder of our daughter and we want to ensure that we respect the legal process and ask people not to speculate over the circumstances surrounding her death.
“We thank you for your support with this matter and hope that you can respect our wishes. We wish everyone health and happiness at this uncertain time.”
Eltiona Skana, 30, has been charged with Emily’s murder and is set to appear in court for a plea and pre-trial hearing on September 15th.
The Facebook post has received a lot of support for the family including one user saying: “I feel incredibly sorry for Emily’s family so wrong people using her photo for their own agenda please let this family grieve in peace”.
This isn’t the only time the parent of a murder victim has asked the public to stop using their imagery to protest against anti-racism recently.
Last month, Lee Rigby’s mum called for a stop to his memory being used to ‘fuel arguments’ against the Black Lives Matter protests.
In the Facebook post, Lyn Rigby said: “Lee proudly served his country to protect the rights and freedoms of all members of this great melting pot of a nation.
“Seeing his image used to cause hate of any kind, especially for those exercising their freedoms in protest against this issue, hurts.”
Mum-of-two raffles off stunning £600k five-bedroom house and Ferrari for just £2
Wait until you see inside the stunning house
After spending nearly a year locked down in our homes due to the coronavirus pandemic, we’ve all thought about moving house at some point, just for a change of scenery.
Well, if you are thinking about moving somewhere a bit bigger, then we’ve got just the thing for you – a stunning £590,000 bespoke five-bedroom house.
And in even better news, you could grab this beautiful house for just £2, as owners Jennifer and David Matthews are raffling off the property, and are throwing in their Ferrari as well.
The couple built Bramble Lodge – which is located between Bolton and Chorley, near to Adlington – from scratch eight years ago, but now want to sell up and move on.
They came to the difficult decision of selling their ‘dream home’ as they need a more manageable property to clean and run, because of Jennifer’s health condition.
Known as Ventricular tachycardia, it’s an incurable heart condition that causes a fast, abnormal heart rate, and means the mum-of-two could die at any moment.
However, the coronavirus crisis has made it very difficult to sell the property, which is why they decided to try their luck on popular raffle site Raffall.
This is good news for anyone dreaming of moving into a huge, new family home, as the keys to the five-bedroom detached house – which is worth over half a million and is located in a sought-after postcode – could be yours for as little as £2.
Bramble Lodge is set in its own grounds, hidden away behind a dry stone wall with electric gates for maximum privacy and security, and surrounded by stunning gardens, complete with trees and even a swing.
There’s lots of parking space, with the large drive able to accommodate four cars, which will include the 2004 Ferrari 360 Spider that you claim alongside the house if you win.
Once inside, there are three beautiful reception rooms and a huge kitchen area with a breakfast bar and an even an Aga.
Head up the elegant spiral staircase to five double sized bedrooms, including one with an en-suite and slipper bath. The second bedroom has a stunning feature window with the staircase to the kitchen area.
The area – once home to Ryan Giggs – boasts outstanding primary schools, a nearby train station with trains to Manchester, has good motorway links, and is also close to the award-winning The Cherry Tree at Blackrod.
The Matthews need to sell all the tickets on Raffall by February 14th, or the raffle will end before that if the last ticket sells before that date.
The lucky winner will be chosen at random, so make sure you grab your ticket or tickets ASAP, as they’re sure to sell quickly.
You can find out more and grab a ticket on the Raffall site here – good luck!
Car swallowed by sinkhole in Manchester after the city is battered by rain and snow
‘Cars getting swallowed now’
A car was partially swallowed up by a sinkhole on a Manchester street last night, after the city was battered with torrential rain and snow.
The weather was relentless yesterday, with heavy rain leading to rivers around our region reaching dangerous levels, followed by snow in the evening.
To top it off, a large crater appeared on a residential street in Gorton yesterday evening, with a car falling into it.
The sinkhole was spotted on Walmer Street in Abbey Hey, with the road surface looking like it ‘buckled’ leaving a roughly four square metre hole.
People took to social media to share photos of the car, which has now been removed.
The street was then partly cordoned off by emergency services, who remained at the scene last night, with Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service and GMP attending.
Surveyors were also on hand to assess the area for structural damage to surrounding houses, although no further details have been released yet about the cause of the sinkhole.
Around 3,000 properties at risk of flooding tonight in Greater Manchester as heavy rain continues
Stay safe out there everyone
As Storm Christoph continues to batter Greater Manchester, some areas of south Manchester and Trafford are at risk of flooding tonight.
Around 3,000 properties will be at risk this evening, according to the police, as authorities continue to monitor the rainfall and its impact on our rivers – with several warnings already issued.
Speaking at Andy Burnham’s press conference earlier this afternoon, Assistant Chief Constable Nick Bailey detailed the latest information.
According to him, the areas most at risk across Greater Manchester will be those near the River Mersey, specifically Didsbury, Northenden, Sale, and potentially parts of Stretford and Flixton.
ACC Bailey said: “As we speak, residents across those areas are being contacted by the Environment Agency and local authorities to advise them.
“Alerts have already been put out, people there are being advised to consider evacuation procedures should that happen.
“We are going to start to see the overflow contingency provisions at around 5pm. That will reach a peak at around 11pm this evening where we will see flooding of those areas.
“In its worst-case scenario, estimated by the Environment Agency, that could impact on up to 3,000 properties across all the areas.
“This is a significant incident in terms of disruption to population.”
ACC Nick Bailey went on to say that those 3,000 properties might not need to evacuate, adding that authorities will be working ‘right up to the last minute’ to try and prevent that from happening.
In the meantime, Manchester and Trafford councils have been setting up rest centres for anyone who does need to evacuate, and police have confirmed that Covid restrictions do not apply in an evacuation situation – you should leave your home if necessary.
ACC Bailey added: “Those people have been advised with regards of advice to take where they do feel the need to take action to prevent them being harmed.
“We need to make sure they do take that action, they do make sure they’re safe. The legislation around covid will not be applied there are exemptions.
“If you need to take action, join other bubbles go other properties, please do that if that’s necessary to do that to protect you and your family.”
If you’re worried about the situation you can contact your local authority, however if it’s an emergency dial 999.
Stay safe out there everyone!