Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

News

Drinking Diet Coke means ‘you’re more likely to put weight on’, doctors warn

Interesting…

Jamie Roberts

Published

on

If you drink sugar free drinks as a healthier alternative to full sugar pop, then you might want to rethink your drink choice.

Drinking artificially-sweetened drinks, such as Diet Coke, could actually mean you’re more likely to put on weight, doctors have warned.

This is according to researchers from the University of South Australia, who discovered that if you drink low calorie sweeteners (LCS) you won’t reduce your overall sugar intake.

Mike Mozart / Flickr

As an additional warning, the study – published in the Current Atherosclerosis Reports journal – says LCS might in fact be contributing to type 2 diabetes as well.

Lead researcher Professor Peter Clifton said: “There has been a 200 per cent increase in LCS usage among children and a 54 per cent increase among adults in the past 20 years.”

After reviewing previous research, his team came across a study from the US, in which 5,158 adults took part over seven years – it found that people who consumed large quantities of artificial sweeteners gained more weight than those who don’t.

yonolatengo / Flickr

According to Prof Clifton: “Consumers of artificial sweeteners do not reduce their overall intake of sugar. They use both sugar and low-calorie sweeteners and may psychologically feel they can indulge in their favourite foods.”

He added: “Artificial sweeteners can also change the gut bacteria which may lead to weight gain and risk of type 2 diabetes”.

Drink companies often use artificial sweeteners instead of sugar, promoting them as a healthier alternative because of the low calorie count.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Manchester’s All Star Lanes is closing its doors permanently

JUST IN.

Alex Watson

Published

on

All Star Lanes / Instagram

All Star Lanes in Manchester’s Great Northern is set to close for good.

The general manager of All Star Lanes Manchester took to social media yesterday to announce the news stating that the venue will close, meaning the staff are ‘all being put under consultation to be made redundant’.

The venue had been open serving food and drinks, however, the local restrictions put in place in Greater Manchester meant bowling could no longer reopen as planned.

The All Star Lanes opened up in Manchester in 2013 with a £2.5 million investment.

Hi all,It's with a heavy heart to say that All Star Lanes Manchester has closed its doors for the last time! This…

Posted by Matthew David Powell on Tuesday, 11 August 2020

Manager of All Star Lanes, Matthew Powell, made a public statement on his personal Facebook with the news. 

He called out for anyone who is currently taking on staff of all levels to consider his team, which he describes as a ‘record-breaking’ and ‘target smashing bunch’. 

The news comes after the UK officially entered a recession this morning, and despite persistent efforts from All Star Lanes to abide by the new social distancing measures and cleaning schedules they have sadly had to close.

Many people offered love in the comments of Matthew’s post, with one user writing ‘keep positive’ and another saying ‘stay strong’.

 

 

Continue Reading

News

What’s next for the Trafford Centre as it goes up for auction

Everything you need to know…

Alex Watson

Published

on

Seth Whales

Two months after filing for administration, Intu Trafford Centre is seeking a buyer for the £1.7 billion shopping centre. 

The Trafford Centre is set to be put up for auction after pressure from its biggest lender. 

It comes two months after the parent company, Intu Properties, collapsed into administration. The board of the entity which controls the Trafford Centre has appointed PJT Partners, the investment bank, and the property agent CBRE to market the site, according to Sky News.

The Trafford Centre was last publicly valued by Intu at just under £1.7billion, however, analysts are expected it to be sold for at least 20% less than that. 

TOOEDDD/Flickr

In a statement issued to Sky News, a spokesperson for the joint administrators of Intu properties said: “All parties are working constructively together to maximise value for this highly attractive asset.”

PJT is said to be have been advising the Trafford Centre’s single-biggest lender of capital, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB), for some time before the administrators were called in back in July. 

CPPIB is one of the world’s largest pension funds and reportedly wants a quick sale of the Trafford Centre. 

Appointing advisors is set to kick off a formal sale process, and is also expected to attract the property tycoon who sold the Trafford Centre to Intu in 2011, John Whittaker, according to Sky News.

Jonathan Palombo / Flickr

The auction will provide a crucial test to investors at a time when the Trafford Centre, like many retail outlets, has suffered due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Intu directly employs 3,000 people with a further 102,000 working in its shopping centres across the UK. There are a further 30,000 people employed in its supply chain.

The administrator, KPMG, appointed earlier this year, has secured funding to continue managing Intu’s portfolio for six months.

Property sources and insiders have said the Trafford Centre will attract substantial interest in the UK and international investments. One source added that ‘assets of Trafford’s quality and lot size do not come to market often’.

While we’ll have to wait a bit longer to discover the outcome of the auction, it’s good news for fans of the shopping centre and people who work there, as it looks unlikely it’ll have to close at this point.

 

Continue Reading

News

Ed Sheeran is ‘expecting first baby’ with wife Cherry Seaborn

This is amazing news!

Alex Watson

Published

on

Ed Sheeran/Youtube

Ed Sheeran and wife Cherry Seaborn are expecting their first baby in a matter of weeks, according to reports.

This is amazing news for the Perfect singer and wife of two years, who are reportedly ‘over the moon’.

A source told the Sun that ‘Ed and Cherry are over the moon. They’re very excited, but have kept things very low key’.

They added: “Lockdown was a perfect excuse not to be seen out and about too much, but things are getting closer and the excitement has been building so they have started telling friends and family.”

The exciting news comes after Ed Sheeran took a break from his music career on Christmas Eve 2019, announcing the break on social media. 

He wrote: “Hello all. Gonna go on another break again.

“The Divide era and tour changed my life in so many ways, but now it’s all over it’s time to go out and see some more of the world.

“I’ve been a bit non-stop since 2017 so I’m just gonna take a breather to travel, write and read. I’ll be off all social media until it’s time to come back.

“To my family and friends, see ya when I see ya, and to my fans, thank you for always being amazing. I promise to be back with some new music when the time is right, and I’ve lived a little more to actually have something to write about.”

View this post on Instagram

Brb x

A post shared by Ed Sheeran (@teddysphotos) on

And it looks like he will have plenty to write a new album about!

Ed, 29, and wife Cherry, 28, tied the knot in a secret ceremony in January 2019 following three years of dating. The source said they are making the last preparations at home as the baby is expected late this summer.

They added: “It’s a really happy time and their families are all totally delighted for them and cannot wait to meet the new arrival.”

Congrats Ed and Cherry!

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2019 Proper Manchester