Connect with us


Dad-of-three fighting for life in coma after he’s punched during Grand National stag do

The dad was at the Grand National for his stag do but was attacked in Poulton later in the evening

Avatar photo



Paul Latham / Facebook

A dad-of-three is fighting for his life after being punched on his stag do at the Grand National.

HGV driver Lee Burns, 41, had been at the Grand National at Aintree Racecourse on Saturday April 15th before going for a night out with friends in Poulton, Lancashire.

He was out with friends celebrating his own stag do at the Grand National before he was assaulted outside a bar and knocked unconscious at 1.25am on Sunday.

The dad-of-three was rushed to the Royal Preston Hospital where he had to undergo three-hour long emergency surgery to ease pressure and swelling from haemorrhaging.

Paul Latham / Facebook

As reported in The Echo, Lee, who was due to be getting married in four weeks, is now in an induced coma fighting for his life after suffering two bleeds on the brain, according to his friend Paul Latham.

Paul has now set-up a Go Fund Me page to support Lee and his family, after being told his friend will not be able to work again due to his injuries. At time of writing it has reached £6,217 of a £20,000 target.

He wrote: “Hello, I’m Paul. Lee’s friend. So many people have contacted me in the last 24 hours, asking me to do this as they want to make a donation to help support Lee and his family, following the brutal attack on Lee in the early hours of Sunday morning 16.04.2023.

Paul Latham / Facebook

“Lee was returning home from his own stag do at Aintree Racecourse. Lee is now fighting for his life in Royal Preston Hospital, following a completely unprovoked attack in Poulton Le Fylde. Lee is now in a coma.

“If you would like to make a donation, please do so as Lee will never be able to return to his job again following his life saving brain surgery. Lee and Sara’s life has been changed forever as a result of this attack. Thank you in advance on behalf of Lee, Sara and his family. X”

In a Facebook post, Paul continued: “Everybody who knows Lee, knows he has the biggest smile in Blackpool. He’s always happy, always laughing always making new friends.

Ruth E / Geograph

“Long may that continue but it will be some time before he is able to display his trademark smile on the Fylde Coast.”

A 33-year-old man from Blackpool has been arrested on suspicion of wounding in connection to the incident. He has been bailed, pending further inquiries, until July 13th.

Detective Chief Inspector Lee Wilson, of Lancashire Police’s West Division, said: “The victim was on a night out when he was seriously assaulted. He remains in hospital in a serious condition and we are doing our utmost to get answers as to what happened and who was responsible.

Michael Graham / Wikimedia

“One person has now been arrested and released on bail, while we continue to investigate the incident. We are still urging witnesses to come forward and would like to speak to anyone who saw what happened, or caught it on mobile phone footage.

“If you were in that area of Poulton between around 12.30am and 2am on Sunday morning, please cast your mind back and please check any photos or videos you took on your phone.

“Similarly, if you have information about what happened or who is responsible, please let us know.”

Anybody with information should contact Lancashire Police, quoting log 124 of April 16th.


Stagecoach hiring over 100 new bus drivers for Bee Network with £31k salaries

Fancy a career change?

Avatar photo




Stagecoach Manchester is hiring over 100 new bus drivers to work from its Oldham depot, following the second phase of the Bee Network launch in March.

You can apply for a range of roles, from positions with no experience required to fully qualified bus drivers.

Successful applicants will receive full training as part of the job, and trainees will get paid to train. Then after only 12 months’ service at Stagecoach, drivers can expect to earn up to £16 per hour, which equates to £31.6K per year, before overtime.

As well as that, drivers that already hold a PCV licence may be eligible to receive a £1,200 joining bonus.


There’s also a host of other benefits available to all Stagecoach employees, like 28 days paid holiday, generous pension and free Stagecoach bus travel for successful applicants and a companion.

Rob Jones, Managing Director at Stagecoach Manchester said: “Expanding our offering in Oldham means we’ll be investing more in the economy and supporting our local community, as well as strengthening our workforce.

“Whether you’re looking for a career change or you’re a fully qualified, experienced bus driver, there’s a role for everyone here in Oldham.

“We’re looking for personable and dedicated drivers who are ready to help us build on the success of the Bee Network and connect the people of Oldham and Greater Manchester with the places and people that are important to them.”


Phil Cornwall, bus driver at Stagecoach Manchester, said: “I’ve been a driver at Stagecoach for 25 years and I couldn’t recommend it more.

“From the perks to the people to the passengers, it really is a great place to work.”

To apply, head to the Stagecoach website HERE.

Continue Reading


Two men charged with murder after torso discovered in Salford nature reserve


Avatar photo



Greater Manchester Police

Two men have now been charged with murder, following the discovery of a human torso in Kersal Dale.

As well as that, more suspected human remains were also discovered this morning, Monday April 29th, in an alleyway close to the railway lines off Worsley Road, Eccles.

This follows earlier discoveries of human remains over the past three weeks, at Kersal Dale, Blackleach Reservoir and Colliery Wood, all in Salford.

Greater Manchester Police

Michal Jaroslaw Polchowski (25/04/1956) and Marcin Majerkiewicz (10/04/1982) both of Worsley Road, Eccles, have been charged with murder.

They are set to appear at Tameside Magistrates Court this afternoon.

While formal identification is still ongoing, the remains found at Kersal Dale are believed to be of a local man in his 60s. The remains found at the other three locations are still to be tested, but police are confident they belong to the same victim.

ACC Sarah Jackson said: “We have had large numbers of officers, staff and specialists working diligently on this investigation over the last three weeks. It has been very much a large, collective effort, with the victim and family at the heart of it from the outset.

“We have specially trained officers deployed to support the family as they come to terms with this tragic news. They are aware of this morning’s further discovery and will continue to be kept up to date with how we are progressing.

“Despite the charges brought today, our work is far from over.

“The scenes we already have established in Bury and Salford will remain in place for much of this week whilst our searches and enquiries continue. Local officers will continue to patrol the impacted areas to provide reassurance.

“We will continue following every line of enquiry to recover and reunite the victim with his family, bringing a dignified end to this terrible scenario.

“I’d like to thank the communities of Salford and beyond for their cooperation throughout this investigation. I know this incident has come as a shock, and the support we’ve had from those in the area is very much appreciated.”

Continue Reading


More human remains discovered in Greater Manchester as police identify victim

All the latest updates

Avatar photo



N Chadwick / Geograph

Detectives investigating the discovery of a torso in Kersal Dale have found more human remains around Greater Manchester.

GMP released a statement on the weekend, revealing they had opened four scenes for extensive searches – one of them at a warehouse in Bury, and three in Salford.

Searches took place at Blackleach reservoir, where human remains were found, and a dog walker found a package containing human remains at Colliery Wood.

Officers believe they have now identified the man, who they believe to be a man in his 60s that lived in Salford, and his family have been informed.

Two suspects have already been arrested in connection with the murder probe, with officers saying they are thought to have lived with the victim.

Greater Manchester Police / Facebook

Detective Superintendent Lewis Hughes, Senior Investigating Officer for this investigation, said in a statement at Blackleach reservoir yesterday, Sunday April 28th: “We have continued to make significant progress in our investigation into human remains being found in Kersal earlier this month.

“From day one, our priority has been to identify the man and his family so that we can give them the support and the answers that they need.

“Thanks to meticulous forensic work, we are now confident we have identified the man. Formal identification hasn’t yet taken place, but we believe he is a man in his 60s and lived in Salford.

“Specially-trained family liaison officers have met with his family this afternoon to give them the devastating news, and we will do all that we can to support them at this awful time.

“We believe he is known to the two suspects we have in custody. They have remained in custody for questioning over the weekend, as we work to establish how the victim met this tragic outcome.”

He continued: “We have painstakingly worked to follow up every line of inquiry in this investigation. Over the last couple of days, we have acted on information and had four scenes in place for extensive searches – one of them is at a warehouse in Bury, and three of them are in Salford, including here at Blackleach reservoir.

“Today, we have found some human remains at the reservoir here, and last night a dog walker found a package containing human remains at Colliery Wood. Forensic tests will continue to establish whose remains these are, but we are very confident that this is also the victim in our investigation.

“We have also been searching a house in Winton where we believe the victim and the two suspects lived. We have found evidence that the victim is likely to have died there – most likely in late March.

“While this is significant progress, we know there is still some way to go to complete this investigation. I also recognise details of this case will have been distressing for the people of Salford and beyond – including the officers that are diligently working on this investigation, and most importantly the man’s heartbroken family.

“Local officers will continue to patrol the affected areas, and we will provide updates when we have more information.”

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2024 Manchester's Finest Group