If culture isn’t the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Bury, you might need to rethink your perception of the Greater Manchester town.
That’s because Bury is now officially the region’s very first ‘Town of Culture’, as decreed this week.
Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham launched the scheme earlier this year – it’s based on the City of Culture campaign he introduced when he was culture secretary.
Birthplace of such famous faces as Danny Boyle, Victoria Wood, Guy Garvey, and Phil and Gary Neville, Bury is no stranger to culture.
And now with its new accolade, the town could see an influx of cultural events in 2020, including festivals, concerts, productions and exhibitions, the Manchester Evening News reports.
Different communities were invited to compete for the title of Town of Culture, with Bury’s bid – simply called ‘Happy’ – taking the prize on Wednesday morning.
As well as providing the town with funding for events, the scheme aims to promote the ‘distinctive culture’ of Bury, with £120,000 set to be invested over the next 12 months.
The plan is to ‘aid a burst of creativity’ to boost tourism and the night time economy in the area, thus helping to regenerate the town.
Pubs and restaurants could reopen in June, Boris Johnson says
As part of the newest updates on easing lockdown, in regards to the hospitality industry Boris Johnson has suggested ‘we may be able to do things faster than I thought’.
Potential plans to bring in a reduction in the existing two-metre social distancing rule to one metre mean pubs and restaurants could reopen as early as June. Mr Johnson has asked scientists to review the two metre rule in the ‘hope’ it can be reduced.
Previously, plans to reopen the hospitality sector were expected to take place at the beginning of July at the earliest, as part of phase three.
However, in a Zoom video link to the Commons liaison committee yesterday, the Prime Minister explained that hotels, restaurants and pubs may all open as soon as next month.
He said: “It is really difficult to bring forward hospitality measures in a way that involves social distancing.
“But I am much more optimistic about that than I was. We may be able to do things faster than I previously thought.”
Boris Johnson is expected to announce new rules allowing two households to meet for barbecues later today, during the three week review of the coronavirus lockdown.
In the roadmap, step two of the relaxing of the lockdown would not include the hospitality sector and personal care. Originally they came under step three which would start at the earliest on July 4th.
However, yesterday’s statements suggest that this could be moved forward.
From today you might get a call from the NHS telling you to isolate for 14 days
Track and trace starts today.
From today, Thursday May 28th, you could get a call from the NHS telling you to self-isolate for 14 days, even if you have no symptoms.
This is because the government’s new track and trace rules are now in effect, in a bid to control the spread of coronavirus.
The Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, said self isolation was our ‘civic duty’ at yesterday’s briefing, adding that it could be made mandatory if people don’t obey it, the Liverpool Echo reports.
Mr Hancock said: “If you are contacted by NHS track and trace instructing you to isolate you must it is your civic duty so you avoid unknowingly spreading the virus and you break the chain of transmission.
“This is voluntary at first because we trust people to do the right thing but we can make it mandatory if necessary.”
He continued: “From 9am tomorrow in addition if you are contacted by an NHS track and trace adviser advising you you must isolate you must do that if you have symptoms or not.”
If you have symptoms, you must self-isolate then ask for a Covid-19 test, before working with a track and trace adviser to list the people you’ve been in contact with recently, who will then get a phone call and be asked to isolate regardless of symptoms.
According to Baroness Harding, who led the track and trace project, people must isolate themselves for 14 days, although members of their family won’t have to if no one has symptoms.
Mr Hancock added: “If you have symptoms you must isolate immediately and get yourself a test. Yesterday 2,013 people tested positive and the next step is through contact tracing, like detectives, the NHS clinician and the person who tested positive work together to trace the possible movements of the virus.”
Full list of all the shops open in the Trafford Centre and Arndale
Non-essential shops will be reopening again soon…
Following the latest updates from the Government, non-essential shops such as clothes and shoe shops are set to open in the next few weeks.
Almost all non-essential shops have remained closed since the lockdown was introduced in March. This has left the Arndale and Trafford Centre quieter than anyone has ever seen them before.
Over the past few months, a limited number of essential stores have been open providing residents of the surrounding areas with accesses to essentials like food, medicine and cleaning supplies.
Most recent openings include food retailers such as Archie’s and Five Guys offering takeaway services.
We’ve listed below the shops that are currently open within Arndale and Trafford Centre shopping centres and will continue to update the lists as stores begin to reopen their doors as part of the lockdown easing.
The shops open in the Arndale:
- Holland & Barrett
- Archie’s (takeaway and collection only)
The shops open in Trafford Centre:
- Five Guys (click & collect and Deliveroo only)
- M&S Foodhall
- Holland & Barrett
- Vision Express