The prime minister has addressed the nation outside Number 10 following the news he will be stepping down.
He confirmed that he would be staying on until a ‘new leader is put in place’.
Johnson said: “It is clearly now the will of the parliamentary Conservative Party that there should be a new leader of that party and so a new prime minister.
“I’ve agreed with Sir Graham Brady… that the process of choosing that new leader should begin now.”
Thanking those who voted Tory at the last election, he said: “The reason I have fought so hard over the last few days to continue to deliver that mandate in person was not just because I wanted to do so, but because I felt it was my job, my duty, my obligation to you.”
He continued: “I’m immensely proud of the achievements of this government in getting Brexit done, to settling our relations with the Continent… reclaiming the power for this country to make its own laws in Parliament.
“Getting this country through the pandemic, getting the fastest vaccine roll-out in Europe, the fastest exit from lockdown and in the last few months leading the West in standing up to Putin’s aggression in Ukraine.”
Johnson added: “It’s painful not to be able to see through so many projects myself. But as we’ve seen at Westminster the herd instinct is powerful.
“When the herd moves, it moves.”
It was confirmed this morning that Johnson would resign as prime minister, following days of cabinet reshuffles, resignations and firings, which made his position untenable.
It all began on Tuesday evening, when Rishi Sunak quit as Chancellor of the Exchequer and Sajid Javid resigned as Health Secretary.
We then saw a large number of resignations, with numerous close allies telling Johnson he needed to stand down.
This included his new Chancellor, Nadhim Zahawi, who was only appointed to the role on Tuesday evening before calling on Johnson to quit this morning, Thursday July 7th.
A senior government source told both Sky News and BBC News that Boris Johnson will resign today.
Over the summer a Conservative leadership race will take place so that a new prime minister can be selected by the Tory party conference in October.
Government scrap plans to house asylum seekers in Southport Pontins
Ministers are searching for large sites to replace the costly use of hotels to house asylum seekers.
The UK government has scrapped plans to house asylum seekers in the Pontins holiday resort in Southport.
Sefton Council had opposed converting the resort, in Ainsdale, into asylum accommodation. The authority is understood to have raised a number of objections, including the logistics of accessing the site and the impact it would have on its local tourism.
Southport MP Damien Moore described the proposal for Pontins as ‘completely inappropriate’ and added that an influx of vulnerable families would have added further pressure on local children’s services — already rated ‘inadequate’ by regulator Ofsted.
Ministers are searching for large sites to replace the costly use of hotels to house asylum seekers awaiting decisions while their claims are assessed. The council was approached by the Home Office last year about potentially turning the site into a temporary base, which can accommodate more than 3,000 people, and is still currently used as a holiday resort.
The government was understood to be close to finalising plans with Britannia, the holiday park’s owner, which would have seen the coastal attraction closed to the public.
A council spokesperson said: “We have now been informed that the Home Office no longer wish to pursue plans to house Asylum Seekers at the Pontins site in Ainsdale. We are awaiting written confirmation of this decision.”
The talks are not understood to have involved Sefton Council or local MP Damien Moore who criticised the government for failing to communicate with him over a key issue affecting his community, saying: “MPs should be updated by Home Office officials on how discussions are going.”
The government wants to end the reliance on hotels to house asylum seekers who are awaiting decisions on their claims, which the Home Office says is costing £6.8m a day.
Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick is trying to find larger alternative sites which he says will be cheaper – including former student halls of residence, holiday parks and surplus military sites. But none have yet been given the go-ahead.
A plan to turn a former RAF base in Linton-on-Ouse in North Yorkshire into an asylum centre was also scrapped last summer due to local opposition.
Serial rapist from Bolton set for release from prison
He is set to walk free next month
A serial rapist is set to be released from prison despite an appeal from the justice secretary.
Andrew Barlow, 66, who lived in both Bolton and Oldham, became Britain’s most wanted man after a string of sex attacks on women and girls between 1981-1988. Barlow was jailed for life in 1988 with a minimum term of 20 years, for 11 rapes, three attempted rapes and a range of other offences.
But now he is set to walk free next month after a decision made by the Parole Board, after it rejected an application from Dominic Raab to cancel the scheduled release of the repeat offender. However, the decision may be challenged through an appeal to the High Court.
A spokesperson for the board said: “We can confirm that a panel of the Parole Board has directed the release of Andrew Barlow following an oral hearing. Parole Board decisions are solely focused on what risk a prisoner could represent to the public if released and whether that risk is manageable in the community.”
Barlow targeted teenaged girls and young mothers mainly in the Manchester area, where he lived during the decade. He broke into victims’ homes, used weapons to threaten them – and in one case to cause injury – before assaulting them often while their children were in the same house.
The sex offender was dubbed the ‘Coronation Street Rapist’ after attacking several women in terraced houses reminiscent of the ITV soap’s setting. Barlow, also known as Andrew Longmire, was convicted and jailed in October 1988 when he was aged 32.
After serving more than 34 years in jail, the Parole Board determined on December 12th 2022 that he could be released. Mr Raab applied to the board for reconsideration on January 17th, arguing that the panel had ‘failed to take proper account of the evidence regarding risk and in particular the expert psychology evidence’.
The Parole Board heard how Barlow’s behaviour had been ‘good for many years’ while in prison and he had worked on educational and vocational qualifications – he had also taken part in ‘accredited programmes’ to address sex offending.
It concluded that a plan that put strict limitations on his contacts, movements and activities would be ‘robust’ enough to manage Barlow in the community. The board rejected Mr Raab’s application, saying that ‘there has been no misdirection of law’ and that it had considered ‘all the evidence’.
The board said: “The whole panel would be aware of the correct test and the panel was chaired by a very experienced retired Judge who also has considerable experience of parole hearings and applying the statutory test.”
Barlow’s attacks included the rape of a 26-year-old woman in her Sheffield home, while her three-year-old daughter hid terrified behind a settee. He threatened the woman with a screwdriver before carrying out the attack.
In 2021, following the rearrest of double murderer Colin Pitchfork, the Justice Secretary said he wanted to see a more cautious approach to future parole decisions. Pitchfork, who raped and killed two teenage girls in the 1980s, was recalled to prison in November 2021 – two months after being released.
Heartbroken wife of great-grandad who ‘vanished’ on canal walk makes plea
‘I need you, I just want you home.’
The wife of a great-grandad who went missing after going out for a walk over a month ago has issued a desperate plea to bring him home.
Peter Baglin, 55, left his home in Boothstown on December 28th after telling his wife of 30 years Michelle that he was just going out for a walk and would be ‘home soon’. That would be the last day Mr Baglin was last seen on CCTV at a garage in Mosley Common near Worsley, Greater Manchester.
In the days that followed, after police deployed huge search teams to the local area, trawling through woodland, using drones, and dive teams in the canal, not a trace of Mr Baglin has been found, Greater Manchester Police say.
His phone, hat and headphones along with tobacco, his bank cards and house keys, were found the following day along a towpath by the Bridgewater Canal, on Vicars Hall Lane. Mrs Baglin has again spoken of her heartache over Peter’s sudden disappearance and in a desperate plea for her husband to come home, she said: “I need you, I just want you home.”
Mrs Baglin has described her husband’s disappearance as a ‘living nightmare’ and that it’s like he’s just ‘vanished’, saying: “”He’s vanished. Literally you’d never think of it in this day on Earth where we’ve got such technical things, that a person could disappear.”
She said he had gone out for a walk and was later seen buying whisky in the garage’s CCTV footage, and that a short time later they chatted on the phone. She said that he had promised to be home shortly and told her: “I love you, you’re my world.”
However, Mrs Baglin later became worried after further phone calls to him went unanswered. She then decided to go out looking for him before reporting him missing. Mrs Baglin said she fears Peter, a grandfather of four and great-grandfather of one, may have been listening to music along the canal embankment and fallen.
Mr Baglin often went out for a walk and this was not unusual for him to do as his wife said: “He does go for walks quite regularly.
“He’ll put his headphones on and he can walk for a good few hours. It wasn’t unusual for him to do that. What was unusual is that he didn’t come home. I’m praying that he’s somewhere safe.”
Police said Mr Baglin also has ties to the Devonshire area and joined his wife in appealing for anyone with information to contact them.