Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

News

Boris Johnson will be addressing the nation on Monday

Here’s what you need to know….

Published

on

No10 / Flickr

Boris Johnson is set to deliver a press conference on Monday in which he will address the nation.

It will mark the latest coronavirus restrictions being eased on Monday, March 29th, which will see some limits on social contact removed.

The Prime Minister plans to speak to the nation when this next stage of his lockdown roadmap comes into effect.

No10 / Flickr

From Monday, up to six people from different households will be able to meet up outdoors, or a larger group from just two households.

This even includes small gatherings in private gardens, meaning friends and family will be able to meet up outdoors over the Easter bank holiday weekend – it’s April 2nd-5th this year.

Some outdoor sports will also be back on, with places like tennis courts, golf courses and football pitches set to reopen.

The ‘stay at home’ message will also be scrapped in England on Monday, but you’ll still face a fine if you try and leave the country.

People will be told to ‘minimise travel’, but this means you should be able to visit family a few hours away or even head to the Lake District for a walk without being fined.

Carelesshx/Wikimedia

Boris will reportedly be delivering the press conference from his new £2.7million briefing room, his spokesperson confirmed.

It was reported last month that the prime minister had spent £2.7million of taxpayers’ cash on the new White House-style TV studio.

A Number 10 spokesperson said: “Work on the briefing room in number nine Downing Street has now completed.

“So going forward, all future Coronavirus press conferences will take place in No9 Downing Street.

“They will begin on Monday, when the Prime Minister does a press conference.”

News

More than half of young people in the North West say lockdown has impacted their mental health

Research also found the pandemic has made three out of five young people in our region feel anxious

Published

on

New research has revealed that more than half of young people in the North West believe lockdown has negatively impacted their mental health

On top of that, the research also found that the pandemic has made three out of five young people in our region feel anxious, with more than 60% of young people not turning to family or friends for mental health support due to worries of being judged or misunderstood.

The research was conducted by Stop.Breathe.Think, a new mental health service for people aged 21 or under run by national youth charity Snow-Camp.



Unlike other free mental health services, Stop.Breathe.Think offers young people up to 12 weekly one hour counselling sessions, as well as a free 24/7 text support service.

With no wait times and a team of more than 40 specialised counsellors, the service helps provide vital mental health access to young people at a time when they need it the most.

Alarmingly, the average age of young people getting in touch is 14 and some of the most common issues they report include anxiety, self-harm and suicidal thoughts.

Furthermore, the study discovered that one in three young people in the North West are put off seeking mental health support due to wait times.

Other reasons young people in the North West are put off from seeking mental health support include being scared of being judged (34%) and not knowing where to go to access support (31%).


Stop.Breathe.Think is completely confidential and manned by a team of counsellors who specialise in a variety of youth mental health issues, ensuring that every young person receives specialised, targeted support from the start.

Since its launch, over 500 young people have independently reached out for support – which currently takes place via video call – with more than 1,000 sessions delivered through the service.

After receiving counselling via Stop.Breathe.Think, young people are connected with local partners and organisations to continue receiving support if they need it – since completing their counselling sessions, 70% said that they now feel in a better place mentally.

One young person from Manchester said of the service: “Stop.Breathe.Think has given me tools to actively work on my mental health and deal with low points in the future. I’ve felt listened to unconditionally which has made me talk about things I never thought I could.”

They added: “I now have new strategies and ways of thinking about my mental health and have already seen a dramatic difference after 6 sessions and have finished feeling excited to continue progressing.”

Continue Reading

News

Marcus Rashford calls for guarantee free school meals will continue over summer holidays

Well done Marcus!

Published

on

Кирилл Венедиктов / Wikimedia

Marcus Rashford is calling for a guarantee that the free school meal scheme will continue over the upcoming summer holidays.

The Manchester United star forced the government to U-turn on the issue last year, and is once again calling on ministers to keep the support going over the holidays.

Rashford relied on free school meals when he was growing up, saying that if his family had received help in the summer it would have made a ‘massive, massive difference’.

Marcus Rashford / Twitter

During the lockdown school closures last year vouchers were offered, but the government had resisted calls to continue the coupons – worth £15 a week – over the summer until Rashford got involved and piled pressure on ministers.

The striker didn’t stop there, also shaming the government into supporting families in need over the holidays in November via a Covid winter grant scheme.

As it stands, since the first lockdown more than 300,000 additional children have become eligible for free school dinners, with the total number of people able to access the scheme rising to 1.63 million in October.

No10 / Flickr

Rashford told The Mirror: “I definitely think it needs to be extended and the reason why I say that is, I’m just going back to what it was like for me in the summers.

“It’s much more difficult for my mum to keep on top of. Obviously in my household there were four children so as a single parent it was obviously tough for her.

“But when we were all in school or in high school, she can rest a little bit because she knows that we’re having a meal there, and then potentially she only has to worry about one meal, which is dinner time.”

Fairholme Primary School

He continued: “So having free school meals throughout summer holidays for me would have made a massive, massive difference.

“And I feel like what’s happened this year, like the pandemic, it’s affected everyone in different ways.

“I just don’t see there being anything wrong with extending free school meals, like it’s going to do a lot more good than bad so I definitely think that that should happen.”

The footballer isn’t the only one calling for the scheme to continue, with Children’s Commissioner Rachel de Souza also asking for free school meals to be extended into the summer holidays.

Continue Reading

News

Student suffers severe heart failure after drinking four cans of energy drink a day

‘I believe they are very addictive and far too accessible to young children’

Published

on

AlienFood/Wikimedia & Austin Kirk/Flickr

A young man who consumed two litres of energy drink a day was admitted to intensive care with severe heart failure.

According to a leading medical journal, the university student landed himself in hospital after drinking four cans of energy drink per day.

The 21-year-old spent nearly two months in intensive care due to heart failure, with the British Medical Journal stating this was ‘potentially related to excessive energy drink consumption’ in a report.

According to the report, the man drank four 500ml energy drinks every day for two years, becoming so ill that medics thought he might require an organ transplant.

The patient went on to describe his medical episode as ‘traumatising’, eventually seeking medical help after he suffered from weight loss and shortness of breath for roughly four months.

Daniel Juřena / Flickr

Doctors performed blood tests, scans, and ECG readings, and found that he had both kidney and heart failure – however, the kidney failure was discovered to be linked to a previously undiagnosed condition.

Each energy drink the man was consuming contained around 160mg of caffeine, and medics said that ‘energy drink-induced cardiotoxicity’ was the most likely cause of the severe heart failure.

In the report, the authors from Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust wrote: “We report a case of severe biventricular heart failure potentially related to excessive energy drink consumption in a 21-year-old man.”

They said the conclusion to their report ‘adds to the growing concern in the literature about the potential cardiotoxic effects of energy drinks’, adding that the man’s heart function seems to have returned to normal nine months later but with ‘mildly impaired function’.

AlienFood / Wikimedia

The recovered patient added his own thoughts to the article, saying: “When I was drinking up to four energy drinks per day, I suffered from tremors and heart palpitations, which interfered with my ability to concentrate on daily tasks and my studies at university.

“I also suffered from severe migraine headaches which would often occur during the periods when I did not drink energy drink; this also restricted my ability to perform day-to-day tasks and even leisurely activities such as going to the park or taking a walk.”

He added: “I think there should be more awareness about energy drinks and the effect of their contents.

“I believe they are very addictive and far too accessible to young children. I think warning labels, similar to smoking, should be made to illustrate the potential dangers of the ingredients in energy drink.”

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2019 Proper Manchester