Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

News

B&M giving £1 million to food banks to help people struggling during coronavirus crisis

An amazing gesture!

Published

on

Albert Bridge / Geograph

B&M has announced it will be donating £1 million to food banks across the UK, to help people who are struggling during the coronavirus pandemic.

Each of its 670 stores will be supporting a local food bank with a £1,500 donation of food, cleaning and personal hygiene goods to reach struggling families.

Food banks are being asked to contact B&M and register their details here so they can get involved.

Hugh Venables / Geograph

B&M CEO, Simon Arora, said: “B&M is immensely proud of the part it has played this last week in helping families buy food, cleaning goods and essential toiletries. We have served 7 million shoppers in 7 days, and our colleagues have worked tirelessly to keep shelves stocked.

“We realise however that many of the communities we serve have households in them that are really struggling to buy their groceries due to recent lay-offs. We hope that this donation at grass roots local level across the whole of the UK will allow some essential groceries to get to those who need them as quickly as possible.”  

Within the last week B&M has seen a huge surge in sales especially for products like toilet rolls (300% increase), hand wash (1200%), tinned tuna (583%) and even Pot Noodles (610%).

Jaggery / Geograph

Its six UK warehouses have switched capacity to grocery items, prioritising those that are most in demand, such as food, cleaning products and toiletries.

The warehouses have been running 24-hours a day and more than 3,400 deliveries have been made to stores this last week, to ensure that there’s a continuous flow of new stock.

As a result of the strong demand, B&M has created an additional 300 jobs at their depots in Speke and Bedford – giving priority to local applicants who have been recently laid off due to Covid19.

News

Wayne Rooney breaks silence after hotel photos leak online

The photos quickly went viral on social media

Published

on

@waynerooney / Instagram

Wayne Rooney has broken his silence after he was pictured with several young women in a hotel in Manchester.

The former Manchester United captain apologised to his family and to the club he currently manages, Derby County.

Rooney spoke to Sky Sports after Derby’s friendly against Real Betis on Wednesday, saying: “I made a mistake.

“I went to a private party with two of my friends and from me, I’d like to apologise to my family and the club for the images which were going round and I want to move forward on this.

“I’m grateful to Derby County for giving me this opportunity to get this club back to where it belongs, and I’ll do everything in my power to make sure I do that.”

He added: “It’s dealt with. I’m looking forward to moving forward and preparing for another game on Sunday.”

Rooney was photographed asleep in a hotel bedroom on the weekend, with the images quickly going viral.

The photos show a fully clothed Rooney passed out in a chair after a night out in Manchester, after he went to the hotel with three women.

Yesterday we reported that the former Manchester United captain was asked for £10,000 to keep the photos hidden from his wife Coleen.

According to reports, the police launched a blackmail probe over a message sent to Rooney on Instagram that included a photo from the hotel and the comment: “Morning Wayne 10 grand please mate or Coleen sees this.”

However, officers have now dropped the investigation after concluding that no offence had been committed.

Станислав Ведмидь / Wikimedia

A Cheshire Police spokesman said: “On Monday July 26th Cheshire Constabulary received reports of a possible blackmail relating to a number of images circulating online.

“Officers have spoken to the person involved and are satisfied that no offences have taken place.

“The person involved has also stated that they do not wish to take the matter any further.”

It’s not been suggested that the women from the photos, Tayler Ryan, Elise Melvin and Brooke Morgan, all aged 21, were knowingly involved in any criminal activity.

As the photos went viral on social media, Rooney’s legal team contacted Greater Manchester Police, before the case was passed to Cheshire Police.

Continue Reading

News

Tesco offers lorry drivers £1,000 joining bonus amid HGV crisis

There is a chronic shortage of drivers in the industry at the moment

Published

on

Mark Eslick / Flickr

The ongoing shortage of HGV drivers has seen supermarket shelves empty across the country, with Tesco recently revealing the shortage in drivers is resulting in forty-eight tonnes of food waste each week as fresh goods are being left to rot.

Now the supermarket has stepped up in its bid to entice more drivers to come forward, with a £1,000 joining bonus up for grabs.

Tesco will be offering the £1,000 incentive to recruits who join before September 30th.

@MyUsernameWasTaken / TripAdvisor

Similar recruitment incentives are also being offered by other companies for HGV drivers, it’s understood, with Morrisons saying it was working on training staff to become lorry drivers.

The Road Haulage Association (RHA) estimates there is currently a shortfall of up to 100,000 lorry drivers in the UK – and as well as this issue, the coronavirus pandemic and Brexit are also being blamed for shortages, The Mirror reports.

The Covid pandemic has seen travel become extremely restricted, with haulage companies saying their European drivers have simply decided not to return to the UK due to the virus and Brexit.

As well as food deliveries, there have also been issues with some council services, and several councils have been forced to halt services like garden waste collection, according to the chair of the Local Government Association, James Jamieson.

The environment spokesperson for the LGA, Darren Rodwell, said: “While most councils have been able to keep services running, some are having to reduce services such as green waste collection.

“These issues are partly due to the increase in ‘pinged’ staff but also a larger problem with a shortage of HGV drivers.

“The announcement that waste collection staff can apply for exemption is pleasing, but we are awaiting details on how quick the application process will be and whether it includes all waste collection staff.”

Continue Reading

News

Empty shelves ‘crisis’ in supermarkets to get worse in ‘next three weeks’, haulage boss warns

‘In the next two to three weeks we are facing a collapse of the supply chain’

Published

on

@kentishsal & Dr Mike Galsworthy / Twitter

Shoppers have been urged not to start panic buying amid empty shelves and supply shortages in Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury’s and Lidl stores across the country.

In scenes reminiscent of the start of the Covid pandemic in March 2020, shelves across countless supermarkets up and down the country have been sparse, leaving frustrated customers speculating what could possibly be the cause of the issue.

Now shoppers have been warned by industry bosses there could be further more empty shelves because of a collapse in the supply chain.

Jivee Blau / Wikimedia

Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Richard Burnett, chief executive of the Road Haulage Association, said: “In the next two to three weeks we are facing a collapse of the supply chain meaning even bigger gaps on supermarket shelves.

“We already have hauliers unable to move goods on a daily basis and we’re now facing a perfect storm.

“This is a crisis on a scale we have never seen before in this industry and the government is burying its head in the sand.

“It is not recognising the seriousness.”

A Morrisons spokeswoman told the BBC: “As per the whole of the UK, we are experiencing a rise in cases and close contact notifications.

“We provide guidance and support for colleagues who may need to self-isolate including sick pay and have covid secure controls in place in all our stores to ensure we can continue to operate and keep them open.

“Throughout the whole of the pandemic, we have not been required to close a store.”

The British Retail Consortium (BRC) has acknowledged industry-wide problems but said stores are working closely with suppliers so customers can still buy what they need.

But what’s actually causing these shortages?

Rept0n1x / Wikimedia

Well, a large part of the problem can be credited to the ongoing lack of HGV drivers – Tesco recently revealed that the shortage in drivers is resulting in forty-eight tonnes of food waste each week as fresh goods destined for its stores are being left to rot.

The Road Haulage Association (RHA) estimates there is currently a shortfall of up to 100,000 lorry drivers in the UK – and as well as this issue, the coronavirus pandemic and Brexit are also being blamed for shortages, The Mirror reports.

The Covid pandemic has seen travel become extremely restricted, with haulage companies saying their European drivers have simply decided not to return to the UK due to the virus and Brexit.

The recent reopening of all shops and hospitality establishments such as nightclubs also means there’s been a sudden demand for certain goods.

Amid all of these issues, the RHA has called on Prime Minister Boris Johnson to take action on the HGV driver shortage.

In response, the government says it has ramped up testing for lorry drivers, is paying for more apprentices and is allowing current drivers to increase their working hours. But, even before Covid, the estimated shortage of drivers was around 60,000.

Other circumstances that have been blamed on causing delays include the earlier blockage of the Suez Canal.

Despite all the issues with supply, customers are being warned not to panic buy.

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2019 Proper Manchester