Bournemouth beach was left covered in 41 tonnes of rubbish after thousands flocking there during this week’s heatwave.
The heatwave led many groups of people to head down to beaches, and prompted the council to declare a major incident.
Thousands of beachgoers attended Bournemouth beach on Thursday leading Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council to urge people to stay away after causing the services to be ‘stretched to the absolute hilt’.
Councillors have also condemned the behaviour of the crowds as ‘irresponsible’, grid locking roads, dumping rubbish, parking illegally and some reports of fights.
Authorities have confirmed that 33 tonnes of waste was cleaned up along the full 19.7km stretch of Bournemouth’s coastline, which runes from Sandbanks to Christchurch harbour.
This is in addition to the eight tonnes of waste collected on Bournemouth’s two piers on Wednesday evening.
Extra police patrols were brought in on Thursday because security faced ‘widespread abuse and intimidation’ as they emptied overflowing bins.
Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council leader Vikki Slade said: “We are absolutely appalled at the scenes witnessed on our beaches, particularly at Bournemouth and Sandbanks, in the last 24-48 hours.
“The irresponsible behaviour and actions of so many people is just shocking and our services are stretched to the absolute hilt trying to keep everyone safe.
“We have had no choice now but to declare a major incident and initiate an emergency response.”
Dorset Devils, a volunteer of litter pickers tweeted: “One huge party on Bournemouth beach today. Very little social distancing, total free for all and littering galore.”
Slade added: “The numbers of people descending down here are like those seen on a bank holiday.
“We are not in a position to welcome visitors in these numbers now or to deal with the full range of problems associated with managing volumes of people like this. PLEASE do not come. We are not able to welcome you yet.”
The government has now released a warning that they could use their power to close beaches, should people continue to ignore social distancing measures.
Around 3,000 properties at risk of flooding tonight in Greater Manchester as heavy rain continues
Stay safe out there everyone
As Storm Christoph continues to batter Greater Manchester, some areas of south Manchester and Trafford are at risk of flooding tonight.
Around 3,000 properties will be at risk this evening, according to the police, as authorities continue to monitor the rainfall and its impact on our rivers – with several warnings already issued.
Speaking at Andy Burnham’s press conference earlier this afternoon, Assistant Chief Constable Nick Bailey detailed the latest information.
According to him, the areas most at risk across Greater Manchester will be those near the River Mersey, specifically Didsbury, Northenden, Sale, and potentially parts of Stretford and Flixton.
ACC Bailey said: “As we speak, residents across those areas are being contacted by the Environment Agency and local authorities to advise them.
“Alerts have already been put out, people there are being advised to consider evacuation procedures should that happen.
“We are going to start to see the overflow contingency provisions at around 5pm. That will reach a peak at around 11pm this evening where we will see flooding of those areas.
“In its worst-case scenario, estimated by the Environment Agency, that could impact on up to 3,000 properties across all the areas.
“This is a significant incident in terms of disruption to population.”
ACC Nick Bailey went on to say that those 3,000 properties might not need to evacuate, adding that authorities will be working ‘right up to the last minute’ to try and prevent that from happening.
In the meantime, Manchester and Trafford councils have been setting up rest centres for anyone who does need to evacuate, and police have confirmed that Covid restrictions do not apply in an evacuation situation – you should leave your home if necessary.
ACC Bailey added: “Those people have been advised with regards of advice to take where they do feel the need to take action to prevent them being harmed.
“We need to make sure they do take that action, they do make sure they’re safe. The legislation around covid will not be applied there are exemptions.
“If you need to take action, join other bubbles go other properties, please do that if that’s necessary to do that to protect you and your family.”
If you’re worried about the situation you can contact your local authority, however if it’s an emergency dial 999.
Stay safe out there everyone!
Calls for a national day of remembrance for all the lives lost in the Covid pandemic
A petition has been launched
There’s been calls for a national day of remembrance to be introduced, so we can honour and remember everyone who tragically lost their lives during the Covid pandemic.
Rachael Lidgett, whose dad Christopher sadly died after contracting coronavirus, has started a petition to create a ‘national holiday and day of remembrance for those lost in the Covid pandemic’.
Rachael’s petition reads: “I would like the Government to create a national holiday & day of remembrance for all the lives lost in the COVID pandemic.
“I propose this to be on the 23rd March as this is the date a national lockdown began in the UK.”
At the time of writing the petition has 3,260 signatures, with Rachael, from Leyland, calling on the government to hold the day on March 23rd – the date the first lockdown began.
She continues: “I lost my father, Christopher Cooper on the 6th December 2020 to Covid Pneumonia. He was a fit and healthy 63 year old, with no underlying medical conditions. This has truly devastated us as a family.
“As of 8/01/21 there are 78,508 recorded Covid-related deaths in the UK and 1.9 Million deaths across the world.
“The pandemic is still here and taking more lives each day. I feel it is important that as a country we are able to remember all those who have been cruelly taken from us.”
You can sign the petition here.
Teachers, police officers and shop workers might be given priority in next vaccine rollout phase
Officials are considering who should be a priority in the next phase of the vaccine rollout.
Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi says they are looking into jobs that come into close contact with the public and considering if they should be given priority access.
This means the likes of teachers, police officers and shop workers could be in the next phase of the vaccine rollout.
The decision will be made by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), and Matt Hancock has called for a national debate on prioritisation.
Mr Zahawi told Times Radio: “Teachers, police officers, shop workers, those who through no fault of their own, other than the work that they do, may come into contact with the virus at much greater volume [should be] the top of the list.”
Outlining how a decision on priority should be made, Matt Hancock said at the Downing Street press conference on Monday: “The clinical advice is to go through the top groups… and then after that it is essentially about protecting people as well as possible according to a judgment about who should come next.
“That is why we should have a debate about that.
“Ninety-nine per cent of deaths occur in the top nine groups and after that it is about protecting against transmission and getting life back to normal as soon as possible.”
Currently, the order of priority for phase one is:
- Care home residents and their carers
- Those 80 and over, and frontline health and social care workers
- Those 75 and over
- Those 70 and over, and clinically extremely vulnerable people
- Those 65 and over
- People between 16-65 with underlying health conditions which put them at risk of more serious illness from COVID-19
- Those 60 and over
- Those 55 and over
- Those 50 and over
A petition calling for teachers, school and childcare staff to be prioritised has now gained 470,000 signatures with some arguing it could help with schools reopening.
The chairman of the Police Federation John Apter has called for police officers to be given the vaccine as soon as possible.
Dorset Police have also backed the calls after two officers tested positive for Covid-19 at an anti-lockdown rally in Bournemouth.
One of the officers said: “Police officers shouldn’t be the first in line for the vaccine and we know the risks of our job, but we see vast amounts of people every day.
“If a call comes in, we have to go to it; we can’t say we won’t go to it. And we are putting ourselves, and our families at risk, every single day.”