Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

News

Around 3,000 properties at risk of flooding tonight in Greater Manchester as heavy rain continues

Stay safe out there everyone

Published

on

@TPT_Stockport / Twitter

As Storm Christoph continues to batter Greater Manchester, some areas of south Manchester and Trafford are at risk of flooding tonight.

Around 3,000 properties will be at risk this evening, according to the police, as authorities continue to monitor the rainfall and its impact on our rivers – with several warnings already issued.

Speaking at Andy Burnham’s press conference earlier this afternoon, Assistant Chief Constable Nick Bailey detailed the latest information.

According to him, the areas most at risk across Greater Manchester will be those near the River Mersey, specifically Didsbury, Northenden, Sale, and potentially parts of Stretford and Flixton.

ACC Bailey said: “As we speak, residents across those areas are being contacted by the Environment Agency and local authorities to advise them.

“Alerts have already been put out, people there are being advised to consider evacuation procedures should that happen.

“We are going to start to see the overflow contingency provisions at around 5pm. That will reach a peak at around 11pm this evening where we will see flooding of those areas.

“In its worst-case scenario, estimated by the Environment Agency, that could impact on up to 3,000 properties across all the areas.

“This is a significant incident in terms of disruption to population.”

ACC Nick Bailey went on to say that those 3,000 properties might not need to evacuate, adding that authorities will be working ‘right up to the last minute’ to try and prevent that from happening.

In the meantime, Manchester and Trafford councils have been setting up rest centres for anyone who does need to evacuate, and police have confirmed that Covid restrictions do not apply in an evacuation situation – you should leave your home if necessary.

 ACC Bailey added: “Those people have been advised with regards of advice to take where they do feel the need to take action to prevent them being harmed.

“We need to make sure they do take that action, they do make sure they’re safe. The legislation around covid will not be applied there are exemptions.

“If you need to take action, join other bubbles go other properties, please do that if that’s necessary to do that to protect you and your family.”

If you’re worried about the situation you can contact your local authority, however if it’s an emergency dial 999.

Stay safe out there everyone!

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Blackpool Pleasure Beach officially confirms date for reopening

Not long to go now

Published

on

Blackpool Pleasure Beach

The Blackpool Pleasure Beach owners have confirmed the date on which the theme park will reopen.

Posting a video on social media of staff testing the rides, the caption stated that the venue is prepping for customers’ return on April 12th. 

A statement on social media said: “In line with Government guidelines, we plan to re-open COVID secure and ‘Good To Go’ on Monday 12th April.

“We look forward to welcoming you back to share in our 125th year.”

Under current government plans to ease restrictions, theme parks along with zoos will be opening in Stage Two, which will happen on April 12th at the earliest.

It comes after the council announced that Blackpool Illuminations will be extended in 2021, with an additional two months of the spectacle. 

You can see more info on the opening here, along with all the Covid-19 policies you can expect on your visits such as bookings made in advance and eTickets. 

Continue Reading

News

One of UK’s largest care home groups says it won’t hire anyone who isn’t vaccinated

New staff must have received the Covid vaccine

Published

on

Keir Starmer/Flickr

Care UK, one of the UK’s largest care home companies, has put a ‘no jab, no job’ system in place.

It comes after Care UK, which runs 120 homes, has seen more than two-thirds of its staff vaccinated.

A spokesperson said: “Everyone applying for a role which requires them to go into a home will be expected to have been vaccinated before they start work.” 

Barchester, which operates 220 private care homes, said it would be insisting on staff having vaccines, warning that ‘if they refuse… on non-medical grounds [they] will, by reason of their own decision, make themselves unavailable for work’.

Employment lawyers have warned that such a move could result in legal challenges for unfair dismissal. However, Barchester stressed it might be possible to find such people work in roles away from frontline care.

Keir Starmer/Flickr

Mike Cain, an associate at Leigh Day, said employment tribunals would weigh the care home’s clinical safety obligations to residents against the civil liberties of any employee whose refusal to have the vaccine might not be an impediment to safe working.

Barchester explains they expect all staff to have the vaccine by April 23rd, excluding those who have medical – including pregnancy – grounds for exemption.

So far 82% of its staff have received a first dose. A spokesperson said: “We are very aware of concerns around possible discrimination which is in no way our intention.

“We are doing everything possible to ensure fairness while also delivering on our duty to protect our residents, patients and staff.”

Keir Starmer/Flickr

Bupa has said it is considering a policy for staff in hospitals, care homes and dental practices.

The largest not-for-profit home chain, MHA, said it is ‘being explicit with new staff that we want all of our frontline colleagues to take up the vaccine’ but it will not require new starters to prove it. 

Unison, which represents care workers, warned that a ‘hardline approach’ risked hindering take-up.

Senior national care officer, Gavin Edwards, said: “Hesitant staff need encouraging and persuading.

“Intimidation and threats won’t deliver the results necessary for life to return to normal.”

Continue Reading

News

17-year-old boy arrested after the George Floyd mural was defaced with racist graffiti

It’s the third time it’s been defaced

Published

on

Finest Media & JonConnorLyons/Twitter

A 17-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated criminal damage to the George Floyd mural in the Northern Quarter.

The tribute to George Floyd in Stevenson Square was painted by artist Akse P19 following the killing of Mr Floyd in May 2020. 

The artwork was vandalised with a racist word on Friday morning for the third time since the painting was completed. 

The suspect was seen doing the act on CCTV and police are now holding him on suspicion of racially aggravated criminal damage. 

It comes just a matter of weeks after the last vandalising of the artwork.

Mr Floyd was killed by a white police officer who knelt on his neck for almost nine minutes. 

His face became an icon of the resurgence of the Black Live Matter campaign across the globe. 

Speaking on the last incident of defacing, Councillor Jon-Connor Lyons said: “Racism has no place in Manchester, we will not tolerate it and the Council will repair the memorial working with the artist.

“We’ll be working to review CCTV footage and any leads will be followed to find the culprit.

“Manchester is an inclusive, welcoming city with people from across the globe [and] this does not represent Manchester or Mancunians.

“Whoever did this has achieved nothing.”

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2019 Proper Manchester