Connect with us
https://propermanchester.com.temp.link/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/secret-suppers-advert.jpg

News

Andy Burnham says government’s plan for Afghan refugees is ‘chaotic’ and needs to be stronger

The Mayor believes that the government needs to provide more support to Greater Manchester communities

Published

on

BBC Breakfast / Twitter

Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham has urged the government to put ‘stronger’ plans in place to provide asylum to the refugees fleeing Afghanistan.

Burnham, who branded the current plans in place as ‘chaotic’, says Greater Manchester will happily welcome refugees but its communities need adequate support.

He told ITV News: “They’ve got to put in place arrangements here that are fair to all parts of the country and at the moment I don’t see any evidence of that.

World Economic Solutions / Flickr

“It looks chaotic in terms of the way it’s being handled and the government urgently needs to get a stronger plan in place.”

So far, Manchester has welcomed over 1,000 refugees fleeing the country following the takeover of the Taliban last week. It is understood that the three hotels housing the refugees are now at full capacity.

The people of Manchester have responded valiantly to the arrival of the refugees, however, with local charity Care 4 Calais receiving floods of donations.

Burnham has applauded the efforts of Mancunians, saying: “The amount of stuff that the Greater Manchester public have donated – it’s amazing what people can do and it always restores your faith.”

However, he used it to send the government another reminder: “People are so generous here, but I would say to the Government – don’t take people’s generosity for granted and play on that.”

The first evacuation flight from the war-torn country arrived in the UK last Sunday, with the second touching down late on Tuesday night, and another landing early on Wednesday morning.

The UK government plans to welcome 20,000 more refugees across the next four years.

For more information on how you can help the refugees fleeing Afghanistan, visit the following links:

British Red Cross
UNICEF
AllWeCan.org
United Nation Refugee Agency 
Refugee Council

News

Sir Keir Starmer reveals how he will win over voters in the North West

The Labour leader also spoke of his plans to put Metro Mayors at ‘the frontline of the party’

Published

on

ITV Granada & Elliott Stallion / Unsplash

Sir Keir Starmer has said he wants Labour to represent the ‘prospect of building something new and better’ for the North West and the rest of the country as he sets out his vision for his party.

In his newly published 12,000 word essay,  Sir Keir explains what he stands for based on various conversations he has had with potential voters, including a group of students in Blackpool who said they felt they needed to leave the town in order to get decent jobs.

Speaking with ITV Granada Reports, the Labour leader said: “The essay wasn’t written in the abstract. What I’ve written is a reflection of those conversations, so the voters I’m trying to persuade will see their fingerprints on what I’ve written.”

ITV Granada

Sir Keir went on to explain that, now the worst of the pandemic is ‘hopefully’ over, he and the Labour party are now able to make their argument about what happens next, with the upcoming party conference in Brighton being next on his list.

He said: “In our Conference there’s going to be a very strong focus on education, particularly on what we need to do to close the attainment gap and repair some of the damage done during the pandemic.

“We’re going to focus on quality jobs for the future – secure, high-skilled, well-paid jobs; a ten year health and social care plan; and security in relation to homes and to crime and disorder”.

ITV Granada

He also reiterated his view that Labour’s Metro Mayors need to be seen as ‘the frontline of the Labour party’, saying: “We happily have a lot of mayors and I want to showcase the different mayors we have across the country.

“Andy’s [Burnham] doing a fantastic job and I want him speaking at conferences, I want Tracy [Brabin] to speak at conferences, and I want Sadiq Khan to speak at conferences because we are in the very happy position of having many very good mayors and Metro Mayors. We want to showcase them, and that’s what we’ll be doing.”

As it stands, Labour is currently 5% points behind the Conservatives in the polls, despite the UK having ‘already suffered the worst death toll and the worst economic hit of any major European country’ under a Conservative government.

Continue Reading

News

New details of ‘historic’ four-day bank holiday for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee have been revealed

Here’s everything we know so far…

Published

on

Commonwealth Secretariat / Flickr & @oasthousemcr / Instagram

New details have been released ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations set to take place next year.

Back in June, Buckingham Palace announced that Queen Elizabeth II, ninety-five, will host four-days worth of celebrations to mark her seventieth year on the throne in June 2022.

Details surrounding the celebrations were kept under wraps, though the Palace did confirm that Brits will be treated to a four-day bank holiday across the usual May Bank Holiday, saying the extra days off will ‘provide an opportunity for communities and people to come together and celebrate the historic milestone’.

But now, nearly four months on from the initial announcement, the finer details surrounding the historic occasion have been unveiled.

Defence Images / Flickr

According to the events organisers, A Gallop Through History, a ‘spectacular’ equestrian display showcasing horses from across the globe will be staged as a ‘personal tribute to our monarchy’. The show is said to feature more than 500 horses and over a thousand dancers and musicians taking the audience on a journey from Elizabeth I to the Queen.

The Queen’s own personal ponies and horses are also expected to feature in the event, with royal fans hoping to even see popular members of the royal family taking part.

Dame Helen Mirren and comic actor Stephen Fry have been involved in publicising the event, which will be staged over four nights in the grounds of Windsor Castle next May, and are in discussions with organisers about taking part in the final show.

Nations from across the Commonwealth and other parts of the globe are also expected to be involved in the show, such as Oman, India, the Caribbean, Canada, France and Norway.

Commonwealth Secretariat / Flickr

Sir Mike Rake, chairman of the Platinum Jubilee’s advisory board, said: “After seventy years on the throne and particularly poignantly after the dark and troubling times in the last eighteen months, Her Majesty’s leadership, steadiness and unwavering devotion during her reign deserve recognition and celebration.

“In 2022 Her Majesty the Queen will have guided the nation through several decades of change, growth and advancement, like none before them – in times of triumph and also in times of trouble.

“In an age of advancement and adversary, the Queen has remained a constant, committed and courageous presence, therefore we have worthwhile and timely celebration.”

The May Bank Holiday – which usually falls at the end of the month – will be moved to Thursday June 2nd, while an extra Bank Holiday will be added on Friday June 3rd 2022, making it a four-day weekend.

Continue Reading

News

Gary Neville says access to high quality education ‘shouldn’t be dependent on your post code’

‘My reliance on government to do the right thing is lost – that’s my own personal opinion’

Published

on

Former Manchester United footballer Gary Neville has spoken about the motivation behind his newly launched university scheme.

Sitting down with ITV Granada Reports, Neville explained that his scheme will be aimed at young people between the ages of seventeen and twenty who have been eligible for free school dinners and may never have thought they’d get the opportunity to go to university.

The scheme will offer a free £5,000 support package of education essentials and will help with travel for the three years that they attend university, as well as provide a laptop and unlimited data.

It also offers lunch vouchers for fifty-two weeks of the year and vouchers to buy home essentials.

ITV Granada

Speaking about the ongoing poverty that spurred the launch of his scheme, however, Neville said he is ‘ashamed’ to be in a country where families are still forced to choose between heating and eating, and described the government’s recent decision to cut Universal Credit by £20 as ‘ridiculous’.

He said: “As far as I can see those economic problems haven’t ended so I don’t know why the universal credit is being taken away.

“It is a ridiculous decision as this moment in time, just as we’re starting to come out of a pandemic.”

And, speaking on why he felt the need to act in the first place, Neville said all the faith he once had in the government has been lost.

@Number 10 / Flickr

He said: “My reliance on government to do the right thing is lost – that’s my own personal opinion. However what we can do in the private sector, and in other institutions, is do our very best.

“I think that’s what we’re trying to do here is to put packages in place that support young people and give them the option to go to university. I can’t believe I’m saying that because it should be the choice for everybody.

“It shouldn’t be dependent on your post code as to whether you get high quality to education or access to education.”

Continue Reading

Receive our latest news, events & unique stories

Privacy and data policy

We may earn a commission when you use one of our links to make a purchase

Copyright © 2019 Proper Manchester